Purchasing a Laptop in Taiwan

Hello! I’m moving to Taiwan soon and I plan on buying a new laptop there (my current choices are either MSI or Asus ROG). I’ll be staying in Taipei as an international student.

Will it be cheaper if I were to buy it online (so far, I only know of PChome) or in places like GuangHua? Also, what langauge would the pre-installed Windows OS usually be in?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Probably Guanhua as you can shop around. Also they can fit to your wanted specs if you want a bit more ram or something like that or switch to a SSD. You can ask them to install windows in English. Which you would have to do it yourself if you buy from online.

Is the Windows OS genuine though?

Why would it not be?

Best bet is to go to PC Home and find the computer you want, and then put the link on your phone/tablet.

Go to GuangHua and have a look at the price they are offering in a store and show them the price you have from PC Home (if less obviously). Usually they will match the price and throw in a few extra freebies. Not a lot but sometimes it is better to establish a connection with the people you bought if from in case of repair required, and as pointed out, for the Windows installation in English etc.

Just remember, electronics are not necessarily cheaper in Taiwan. Computers aren’t necessarily cheaper but computer parts are cheaper. I buy most of my electronics outside of Taiwan like USA where it’s cheaper with more variety.

I bought a laptop at Guanghua building once, and they installed English Windows, and no, it was not a registered version. Not much later, the software died. I took it back, they installed something again and it worked for awhile, but also died. This is just one experience, so can’t say everyone will have the same.

There are guys that set up on the street sometimes selling all types of software for cheap. It’s not very common in Taipei anymore though.

If you can buy stuff from the US or Hong Kong, it will be cheaper. Taiwan is much cheaper than places like Australia though - everything is horrendously expensive there. Not sure about Europe.

Are you guys bargaining? Because i can get things down pretty cheap, the street before Syntrend with the GoGoro and burger King is an much better option in my experience. And I got a registered OS no problem in English.

Can you do this with the main MSI store for eg or smaller stores like coolpc?

Wherever you are, check your online store listings and compare it with PCHome. It isn’t necessarily cheaper in Taiwan to buy laptops or name brand computers. It’s normally cheaper to build because prices tend to fluctuate on certain items.

The main difference in buying from home and Taiwan (Guang Hua) is the freebies you may get with the purchase. Normally if you spend x00 you can get x and when you spend x000 you can get y, but when you spend x0,000 you can get x y and z.

To my knowledge, you can choose what language you want when installing the OS for the first time. No need to fret.

If you’re buying from an authorized dealer, which almost all of the stores near Guang Hua are, you will be buying a laptop with genuine windows.

Good luck!