Question about Inheritance

Hello all,

We currently live in Canada. I was born in Taiwan, but no longer hold a Taiwanese passport and am a Canadian citizen. I don’t even think I have my Taiwanese old passport or birth certificate.

My father is struggling with illness and in his will has left his property in Tainan to me and my brother.

I have no idea how this works and am trying to figure out the ramifications of what happens when my father passes ?

A few questions:

1. How does the title get transferred to my brother and I ?
  2. I believe it is farm land with a house on it in Tainan in Houbi village
  3. Do I need to pay Canadian taxes on this property, or Taiwanese taxes on this property ?

Thanks, :bow:
Struggling

Sorry to hear about your father, I don’t have anything to add other than it might be worth calling up an estate lawyer here for a consolation. If you search around there should be some English speaking lawyer lists somewhere in these forums.

You may be contacted by a lawyer who will execute your father’s will if/when necessary. That is, if your father has instructed a lawyer to do so. In that case, you will have the option to accept or forfeit your inheritance. At least, that is what one acquaintance told me. He chose to forfeit his mother’s property because he said that he also had to inherit his mother’s debts.

[quote=“noodling12”]Hello all,

We currently live in Canada. I was born in Taiwan, but no longer hold a Taiwanese passport and am a Canadian citizen. I don’t even think I have my Taiwanese old passport or birth certificate. [/quote]

No longer possessing a valid ROC passport or having acquired a foreign nationality does not mean you are no longer a ROC national.
You should be aware that farmland cannot be owned by foreigners, therefore you should get your document evidence in order to prove that you hold ROC nationality. Household registration records listing you as your father’s son as well as listing your mother has his married wife should be sufficient to apply for a new passport. Enquire with your nearest TECO for details.