Question about the new site

First off, I hope there was a really good reason for replacing the old site with this.

However, in order to make the most of it, is there any way to just follow the relevant subcategories? I’m really only interested in subcategories like Living in Taiwan, Where Can I Find… , Food, Cars & Motorcycles, and a few more. Under the old site, I could just log in and scroll down to see if there were any new posts and, if there were, open the subcategory and look at the new topics or posts. How can I do that here without a.) having to just scroll through absolutely every new post, or b.) opening every category and subcategory just to check if there even are any new posts?

Also, how do I mark things as read, or is that even a thing anymore?

2 Likes

I look forward to using the new site, but SlowRain has some good points. Lets keep this forum alive!

Take Living in Taiwan for example, after navigating to it, or visiting it at:
http://tw.forumosa.com/c/life/living-in-taiwan

there is a grey box with a circle on the top right corner. By clicking that circle, there are options to track the sub forum. I haven’t tried it, but looks like what you are looking for.

1 Like

OK. I’ve given that a try. We’ll see how that works.

There were actually several good reasons to switch out of phpBB. The most important ones imho were:

• the forums were crashing every week - sometimes 2 or 3 times - because of instabilities in the Session Table. I attributed that to the many complicated failed medications from over the past 10 years (or longer)

• upgrades to newer versions of phpBB carried the broken modifications along, and did not correct them. So I stopped updating the site. Because such upgrades were quite cumbersome for me. Indeed, I had hoped to move from 3.0.XX of phpBB to 3.1.0 but then realized that the many customizations and modifications made such cases an upgrade a huge task and would not resolve some of the long standing bugs

• the password recovery stopped working over 5 years ago - that always bugged me

• the themes were not Responsive (mobile friendly), And the phpBB themes that I tried out were not great. Discourse was designed FOR phones and tablets from the ground up

Weird. There may be a bug. This discussion is marked as solved, but I don’t remember clicking any “solved” button. In fact, I don’t remember even setting it up as a request for information. Does every discussion have a “solved” feature by default, or just this subcategory? Who marks things as “solved”?

it ain’t me, and i have no idea how to get the solved label :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m all for changing to discourse because the crashes were getting out of hand.

Tough time to be a new mod though, I was just getting the hang of the settings of phpBB and now this.

Going to take some time to figure this one out!

1 Like

It was me. Anyone can do it - well, at least I hit that setting and I think everyone should be able to do it in all of the forums. This could be related to “Trust Level” - so if you do not see it, please post again – you would find it in the ellipsis menu to the left of the Reply button on the bottom right corner of every post. See the red arrow in the following picture:

Only 1 post is recognized as the “solution” so if other people change it, the first post is updated with that fact.

I’m sorry about this. I am also just becoming familiar with Discourse. From what I experienced from the research I did and from the 2 week trial run (+ 1 week of the official migration), there are many things that can be done easier, especially on mobile.

It will require some time for all of us to get used to, though

I like the new format. It’s much cleaner in design. The old forum was definitely showing its age.

Richard
www.geberconsulting.com

Well, not really anyone. Here are the options I have:

It may be related to the Trust Level you mentioned, but I can see you have many other option as well.

Will you be having a business discussion category as well?

Richard
www.geberconsulting.com

Thank you, Ricarte. Let me work on this.

We need to figure out how best to use the Trust levels - there are 5 of them: 0 to 4. I figure having anyone designate that a problem is solved wouldn’t hurt. Certainly, the OP and the moderators should be able to do this.

1 Like

These types of discussions would go in our “Money” Category: http://tw.forumosa.com/c/discussion/money

So we can’t show off how long we’ve been a member and number of posts in our replies?

No one will ever trust the advice or suggestions I give now :grin:

1 Like

Not anyone Gus. Only the moderator and OP have the option of labeling the post solved.

This is a good suggestion (showing more member info at each post – maybe better if readers have a choice to switch that stuff off, too). Pls keep the feedback coming - maybe we can find a plugin or a workaround and add it in.

OK. I have unclicked the Solution box. I will leave it to @SlowRain as to whether any of these posts may have addressed the original post. But if nothing is clicked after a few weeks, and I notice this, I may come back and click something again :slight_smile:

Click the solved button @SlowRain.
http://media0.giphy.com/media/7eAvzJ0SBBzHy/giphy.gif