Question about the new site

Health & Fitness, Visa & Residency, and I forget the other one.

I used to automatically get notifications when someone replied to this thread too (because I created it), but not anymore.

You can look at your Profile preferences and see what categories you are subscribing to (and remove them from there)

Reach your profile by touching your own avatar. The Preferences button should be easy to find.

Yep. I checked that already just to be sure. Iā€™m only subscribed to the categories I want.

Just to add: I did get a notification (Unread) from this thread regarding the post you just made, so that seems to be working. But I also got a notification (New) about the Everything Else category, to which Iā€™m not subscribed.

Thank you. This feedback is very useful.

@tempogain and I are still reorganizing the categories and reviewing the settings. This should not affect your notifications, but your bug reports give us something to look out for as we go through the site

Can I get my old job back as a newspaper copy editor? (I would add a pray emoji here but canā€™t find it!:sob:) I worked so hard to graduate from shoe wielding to chair wieldingā€¦ Now Iā€™m just ā€œbasicā€. I can hardly imagine how the retired presidents and Maitreyas feelā€¦:confounded:

And the disco dance and old man are gone! :scream:

Yeah, I miss those too. I think we might be able to port them over into the Badges, although I havenā€™t yet figured out how to set the post count to trigger them.

For the Custom Emojiā€™s, though, please list the ones you would like to see here and I will study this page:

Tryon to start a thread to sell some stuff, but when I try to save it I get an error message:ā€œYouā€™re not allowed to view the requested resourcesā€ or something like that. What ?_?

What subcategory are you trying to post in? If it is in the Forumosafieds category (within which are all the forumosafieds subcategories) we may have set things up so that you must choose a subcat and cannot post in the Forumosafieds cat per se

I am not familiar with that error message yet. Thanks for posting it.

I was trying to post in Forumosafieds / Sports/outdors

I see you managed to post it now
http://tw.forumosa.com/t/cycling-shoes-x2-and-speedplay-pedals/154525?u=gooseegg

@tempogain - did you fix this one?

Saw that as well. No, no idea there.

I liked them all! I was probably never going to have a good opportunity to use most of them, like serenade and the country-specific ones, but it was nice to know they were there, along with the dead horse and all that. My favorites would have to be old man, disco dance, happy dance, run away, shocked, no way, and popcorn, but Iā€™m sure the one I used most was rolls eyes.

Some are good equivalents like :thinking: for pondering.
:rolling_eyes: is close enough to the old rolls eyes, though itā€™s less of an ā€œoh brotherā€ and more of a Rage Comics ā€œare you serious?ā€.
:older_man: doesnā€™t express the same idea as the bearded ranting guy.
:confused: is called ā€œconfusedā€ but looks like minor disappointment to me.
:astonished: definitely doesnā€™t have the same value as the old shocked (just big eyes).
And :heart_eyes: is great but doesnā€™t quite express the ā€œhow-YOU-doinā€™?ā€ concept.
Of course some of the new ones are nice too and seem to bring us up to dateā€¦ :poop:
Are animations possible here?

I think the new site is definitely functional, but it will take some getting used to. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen Gus work so hard and post so often. Keep up the good work, Gus, and I wish you well during this switch to the new software. I second ranleeā€™s suggestion to display a userā€™s join date beside each post. I think it helps a lot.

1 Like

To be fair: @tempogain has been doing most of the heavy-lifting - the reorganization of categories is simply awesome.

We are continue to tweak and learn more about Discourse - for example, to learn more about a post-author, click on their name. So it is a different approach with an obvious emphasis on the content.

Thanks Gus, but donā€™t be modest!

1 Like

I am really happy with the new software overall. So many things about it are fully-thought out. Itā€™s very convenient to use.

Plus, a big hand should go to @arpit.jalan who made the transition from phpBB to Discourse virtually seamless. Thank you! :bow:

1 Like

It was a great pleasure working with you, Gus! :blush:

1 Like

Hey there. Stop using the site for a while, come back, and the whole universe is different. Hope it all works out.

Is there still an active, functioning classifieds section somewhere for buying and selling stuff?

Indeed, at:

http://tw.forumosa.com/c/forumosafieds

Yeah, I stumbled onto it after asking. Thanks for the confirmation.