Questions about Visitor Visa extension. Advice appreciated!

Hello all,

I’ve searched through multiple sources, including this forum, for answers to my questions but am still a bit unclear as to how the Visitor Visa extension works and what plan of action might work best. Your help is much appreciated!

First, here’s a quick rundown of my situation:

1. Entered Taiwan on August 16, 2016 on a 60-Day Visitor Visa with Enter Before Date of July 7, 2017. Studying Chinese for two terms at CLD.
  2. Applied for an extension on October 13, 2016 and was granted an extension to December 14, 2016.
  3. Left Taiwan for holiday on November 21, 2016.
  4. Re-entered Taiwan on November 25, 2016 on the same 60-Day Visitor Visa.
  5. Last day of Chinese class is February 17, 2017; however, I plan to stay in Taiwan until late June, when the lease on my apartment ends. Preparing to do visa runs in order to make this work.

Questions:

1. Do I still need to extend my visa before December 14, or is it now valid until January 24?
  2. Is the maximum stay of 180 days calculated from the day following the original entry date (i.e. August 16, 2016) or the most recent entry date (i.e. November 25, 2016)? Basically, I’m wondering if I can apply for a visa extension to some date after February 17, 2017 (which is more than 180 days from August 16), then leave the country and switch to Visa-Exempt upon re-entry?
  3. Should I just get my socially-anxious ass to the NIA and ask someone there instead? :cold_sweat:

Let me know if anything was unclear. Thanks so much!

The duration of stay should be calculated starting on the day after you enter (i.e. the date of entry is day zero).

Do you have an ARC?

Thanks! Yes, that’s my understanding as well. I’m just not clear on whether or not the day after I enter, in my case, is August 16 or November 25. In other words, does the 180-day limit reset when you leave the country?

I don’t have an ARC.

I thought students were supposed to have ARC’s. Is your school not able to get you one?

Sorry, I can’t confidently say what your dates are. The NIA should be able to clear it up (though they also get confused sometimes).

No, unfortunately. I can only get an ARC if I’m studying for at least three terms (i.e. four months of consecutive study and already registered for the following three months of study). Since I am only studying for two terms, I am not eligible for an ARC.

No worries! It’s a bit complicated, so thanks for trying. One of these days, I’ll drag myself to the NIA and try to get a clear answer.

But if anyone else has been in a similar situation before or can provide some insight, that would be much appreciated!