Quitting Hess

I have been at Hess for about 6 months now. I am not going to say they are such a terrible company that many people say they are, but I am looking at finding another job. I am in the interview process right now to get a job that pays much more. I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation. Does Hess transfer ARC easily to other companies if the contract is broken? I am willing to pay the fee, even though I have been told its not really legal, in order to have a happy transition to another company. I love Taiwan and am in no way in culture shock, I just want more money for my time spent teaching and this other company seems to offer that. I hope I can get the job. Anyway any advice from people who have been in this situation before would be appreciated. Cheers!

Hess can’t do anything to prevent you from transferring your ARC to another company. One of the issues you will have is getting them to sign the paperwork that officially ends the contract (they don’t have a choice) and negotiating your end date.

[quote=“DinKaohsiung”]
I have been at Hess for about 6 months now. I am not going to say they are such a terrible company that many people say they are, but I am looking at finding another job. I am in the interview process right now to get a job that pays much more. I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation. Does Hess transfer ARC easily to other companies if the contract is broken? I am willing to pay the fee, even though I have been told its not really legal, in order to have a happy transition to another company. I love Taiwan and am in no way in culture shock, I just want more money for my time spent teaching and this other company seems to offer that. I hope I can get the job. Anyway any advice from people who have been in this situation before would be appreciated. Cheers![/quote]

I used to work at Hess and broke the contract after nine months. And I WILL say that they are a terrible company.

Anyways, DON’T pay the 20,000 NT fee. Its completely illegal and you won’t need to pay it to have a smooth transition. You don’t need Hess’ approval to switch ARCs. Switching ARCs is between your new employer, the government and yourself. Hess is a non-party.

Simply hand the school’s manager a letter of resignation and include in writing that you demand to see the Cancel Contract Agreement. Make sure they don’t say you “just left” because that could get you in hot water. It’s illegal for them not to show you, anyway. Once you have a copy of the Cancel Contract Agreement you are pretty well home free.

In your letter of resignation, mention when your last day is. You don’t have to negotiate how long you stay. If you are really concerned, you might also write that you expect the 20,000 NT fee to be nullified due to it being illegal. That should be warning enough to the school’s management not to mess with you.

Don’t pay the fee. Don’t even THINK about it.

Contact me if you ever need any help leaving Hess early.

Also don’t believe anything Hess says. You being a new comer they will assume that you don’t know your rights at all and will lie to you.

I left Hess as well, before I hit the 4-month mark. They get pretty hostile after I told them I was leaving, even after I said I would stay until they found a replacement for me.

Make sure the ARC stuff is processed, although I don’t know how quick the transfer works. You only have like 15 days after you leave your job before you must leave the country. I had to go to HK and then return to reapply for my ARC at my new job.

[quote=“slee”]I left Hess as well, before I hit the 4-month mark. They get pretty hostile after I told them I was leaving, even after I said I would stay until they found a replacement for me.

Make sure the ARC stuff is processed, although I don’t know how quick the transfer works. You only have like 15 days after you leave your job before you must leave the country. I had to go to HK and then return to reapply for my ARC at my new job.[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I bet they were really angry… and of course quick to blame you, personally. I love how people there say early leavers “couldn’t hack it.”

Truth is, if only they’d have treated us halfway decently, we would have finished the damn contract. Nobody comes halfway across the world to not honor a contract. Its management’s fault that so many people at HESSssss break the contract. But managers here never takes responsibility for ANYTHING. It’s always someone else’s fault.

Anyways, I digress. Congratulations leaving that place.

1 Like

Agreed :bravo: ! I have had many jobs here where the manager was a complete screw up and it reflected on my job performance.

THAT ALL sounds familiar. It’s crazy how their attitude can do a 180 on you. And yes, the manager has blamed me for many things that I wasn’t responsible for. Although, I got her to apologize to me once…that was probably the first time I almost quit. I wish I had done my research before coming to Taiwan, Hess really put a bad impression in my head of Taiwan.

The best day you’ll get at Hess is the day you leave :slight_smile:

You’d think that people who decide to go abroad would research companies before accepting a position.

True. But If you try to research companies from abroad over the internet, much of what you get will be company propaganda. Other things will just be disgruntled employees venting. It is difficult to know what a company is really like until you are over here.

True. But If you try to research companies from abroad over the internet, much of what you get will be company propaganda. Other things will just be disgruntled employees venting. It is difficult to know what a company is really like until you are over here.[/quote]

Exactly…That was what I had thought when I popped up in Taiwan. I assumed that it was like any job…some people love it and some people hate it. Which I guess is still the case for some people who choose to remain at Hess.

And I’m sure you make a good point…But I moved to Taiwan before deciding to work. The job wasn’t really the factor in getting me to Taiwan.

The other problem with internet research (esp. buxibans) is that it is 90+% negative.

True. But If you try to research companies from abroad over the internet, much of what you get will be company propaganda. Other things will just be disgruntled employees venting. It is difficult to know what a company is really like until you are over here.[/quote]

From the US, it took me all of twenty minutes of research and one Skype interview with an agent to know (1) that agents are full of it and (2) that the major chains sell hard because they can’t keep people. I trust disgruntled employees with legitimate complaints over advertisements, as a rule, on the Interwebz.

This. I did as much research as I could including chats with friends working in Taiwan at the time but none of that prepared me for what Hess was really like. The only thing I had going for me was the knowledge that whatever impression I had would be different from the reality.

I never trust hate spewed on the great Internet Hate Machine. It’s very difficult to find a balanced negative review of anything.

You’ve just lumped all branches of all of the major chains into the pile of crap. the major chains are not great to work for but I had a relatively positive experience at a major chain and since I had that experience I was able to land a better job after my first year. And then there is the other part of the research that you are missing. There is almost no information out there regarding independent buxibans. Independent buxibans range everywhere from better (still not great) to much, much worse than a major chain. And it’s unlikely that even an experienced teacher can determine how well run a buxiban actually is until they have worked there for awhile. A newbie would have no idea and I know a lot of 1st time teachers that got stuck in absolutely awful jobs at smaller buxibans.

I still maintain that a first job at a major chain is alright for a newbie. Typically the paperwork process (getting an ARC) will go smoother, they will get paid, they will have a more established curriculum and they get taken advantage of to some extent. The last point is why you look for a better job after the first year once you are established in Taiwan.

I know a number of people who have stayed with Joy for well over ten years. I only gave them a year. Personally although my job there could have been better hours wise, I’m thankful for the lesson plans, games and info in their teaching manual.

And then there is the other part of the research that you are missing. There is almost no information out there regarding independent buxibans. Independent buxibans range everywhere from better (still not great) to much, much worse than a major chain. And it’s unlikely that even an experienced teacher can determine how well run a buxiban actually is until they have worked there for awhile. A newbie would have no idea and I know a lot of 1st time teachers that got stuck in absolutely awful jobs at smaller buxibans.[/quote]

I think these are fair points to consider. My first place here wasn’t great, but I definitely avoid(ed) pitfalls by scouting for details beforehand. Also, my first employer was willing to give me details that I’m gathering most places won’t.

** Resurrection**

I worked at Hess for a year and thought it was alright. English teaching is not for me, so I couldn’t have imagined any schools being better – it’s an institutional problem.

Actually I have a friend heading back home before his contract at MAJOR CHAIN BUXIBAN is up. He gave two weeks notice and they want him to pay a sum for training PLUS forfeit two weeks of salary (because apparently you’re supposed to give a month’s notice). What are his options?

His options are to go to the labour affairs council and report the illegal penalties and witholding of salary. There is one buxiban chain in your area that pulls this a lot, but caves as soon as the government calls. They are betting most won’t go that far, so always try to keep the money.

Ok so i have been at HESS for about 2 months now and cant stand it lol. I want to stay in Taiwan and have started looking for other options. What is your best advice?