Quitting Hess

Quit and find a new job. :laughing:

Quit and find a new job. :laughing:[/quote]

Find a new job and then quit. Don’t be afraid to use the labor bureau since there will certainly be an issue of what appropriate notice is for ending a contract. I’m guessing your unenforceable contract with Hess requires a 1-2 month notice. I’m also guessing that this contract was not submitted to the labor bureau because it contains several shady clauses.

[quote=“KaiXi333”]
Anyways, DON’T pay the 20,000 NT fee. Its completely illegal[/quote]

My understanding is that contract termination fees are not illegal. Deducting them from your salary is, however. If you refuse to pay it, Hess could theoretically take you to court to get it. I doubt it would be worth it to them, though.

I found that the best way not to deal with shady employers is not to work for them, and then to blab about their shadiness on accessible Internet forums.

But Abacus is right. I’ve always been passively applying for jobs that interested me via the major Taiwanese employment websites. Maybe one offer will be a dream job.

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“KaiXi333”]
Anyways, DON’T pay the 20,000 NT fee. Its completely illegal[/quote]

My understanding is that contract termination fees are not illegal. Deducting them from your salary is, however. If you refuse to pay it, Hess could theoretically take you to court to get it. I doubt it would be worth it to them, though.[/quote]
That’s 100% correct.

Don’t quit. HESS rocks. I got a letter of recommendation from them!

[quote=“ehophi”]I found that the best way not to deal with shady employers is not to work for them, and then to blab about their shadiness on accessible Internet forums.

But Abacus is right. I’ve always been passively applying for jobs that interested me via the major Taiwanese employment websites. Maybe one offer will be a dream job.[/quote]

What are these major Taiwanese employment websites?

I quite enjoy deadpan humor, and this has got me on the verge of uproarious lafter. :laughing: :eh: :ohreally:

[quote=“brooklynexpat”][quote=“ehophi”]I found that the best way not to deal with shady employers is not to work for them, and then to blab about their shadiness on accessible Internet forums.

But Abacus is right. I’ve always been passively applying for jobs that interested me via the major Taiwanese employment websites. Maybe one offer will be a dream job.[/quote]

What are these major Taiwanese employment websites?[/quote]

http://www.1111.com.tw, http://www.104.com.tw, http://www.yes123.com.tw/, and http://www.kijiji.com.tw/ are the biggest sites to find Taiwanese employers nowadays. I don’t know how to register a Yes123 account without a Taiwanese ID number, but you can use your passport number for most sites, put your essential information on a profile, apply for jobs, etc.

Expect a lot of phone calls in Chinese should you take this route. HR people like the prospect of Mandarin-speaking foreigners, or at least the ones who won’t do their double-dealing in that language will.

Get an agent too, or a few. However remember the golden rule with agents is you don’t pay them anything, the fee is collected from the employer. Also be careful which schools they give you and always make sure you have a choice of 3. I think the Dewey guys were pretty good for me.

I’ve started on my second year at Hess, but things in management are getting bad, and I am job hunting. Does anyone know what the stipulations of the second-year contract are? I know I won’t get my contract completion bonus, but is there any other sticky mess? Thanks for any help you can give me.

First, this:

Fool you once, shame on them; fool you twice…

How to quit? Well, if they are uncooperative about your breaking a contract, which is permissible, just get your last paycheck, do a couple of coughing I’m really sick calls and, repeat after me, “I quit”.

Hey KaiXi333 are you still active here? I need help leaving Hess early.

Hey, I need help. I’m leaving Hess ater 9 months, and I told them I would pay the 20000 just to be hassle free, ut not right now because I have to pay for rent of my new place near my new school but now they are keeping my pay from me… what do I do?

Tell them deducting the breach penalty from your salary is a violation of the Labor Standards Act, and if they do it you’ll get them fined. (The breach penalty itself is not illegal, just the act of deducting it from your salary instead of suing you for it.)

Also, talk to the labor department if you have time.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll do that.

Tell them deducting the breach penalty from your salary is a violation of the Labor Standards Act, and if they do it you’ll get them fined.

SOURCE: Labor Standards Act - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

Article 26: An employer shall not make advance deduction of wages as penalty for breach of contract or as indemnity

2 Likes

You should quit after pay day