Rabies outbreak in Taiwan!

just for reference how is rabies vaccination written in Chinese? and typhoid while we are at it?

I didn’t go near the squirrels in the park today because i read this thread before i left.

I have seen racoons for sale in petshops here, with how they enforce laws, not a big wonder tat theres rabies now.

5000 years of culture.

racoons as pets here??

More bizarre than having Huskies as pets here?

Do you always go “near” squirrels? Pervert. :wink:

Are you sure they were racoons? They most likely were Ferret-Badgers which some people keep as pets. They can be quite scrawny, and their range is limited to the lower hills. Ferret-Badgers can often be mis-identified as Civets which are bigger, have a more cat like body and tail, but with similar black and white facial markings. They are nocturnal and I’ve seen them at altitudes as high as 2,000 meters.

This might be the right time to repost my 2013 dead ferret-badger pic. Come to think of it, it was a strangely complete corpse.
Perhaps it had staggered into the road in the last throes of rabies :ponder:. High up in Nantou County.

Has anyone seen World War Z yet. Hehe

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2

1 Like

Naw dude, I grew up around raccoons, saw one at a specific pet store that was right across the first apt I lived here in Taiwan multiple times, got to see it up close in the cage. That was a coon yo, I wouldn’t make that mistake.

OIE Report

Today, a vet at the Govt. wild animal rescue center told me the cost of vaccinating your dog for rabies should be NTD200, Taiwan-wide. I’m going to take mine in and find out if this is really so in the next couple of days, as my dog is always sniffing around finding small wild animals. He also told me the vaccination is only recommended for people like himself, who handle wild animals regularly, and that it has some serious risks and side-affects attached to it for humans (not dogs). I am from a rabies-free country, so really have no idea about the disease or vaccination. Do people in the US get this vaccination as part of the plan or only if they get bitten by a dog or wild animal?

Maybe some more detailed info here asiababy

1 Like

My vet quoted NT300 for the shot. She is the best in town, though, and always throws freebies my way. :heart:

She said it’s not necessary, nor legally required for companions that never leave one’s home. Only for animals that need to go outdoors or are allowed to roam freely. :2cents:

Where I grew up, we always had some rabies cases around. I personally encountered several times dogs affected by the disease. Each time, they were already too sick to chase you and it was visually very obvious that these dogs were sick.

The problem with your own dog is, that he/she/it could get behind a bush and get bit by a bat/rat or any other animal, come back and look a little disturbed cause he got bit while playing with a bat/rat etc.
Because you are very close with your own dog,you are at risk getting bit by your dog when the disease shows its first symptoms.

Better get your dog vaccinated.

Also if you wake up to find a bat in the room, you should get rabies PEP shot… because it is very hard to tell if you have been bitten by a bat (they have small mouth) and most rabies death came from bat bites because people don’t know they were bitten.

Aaaaaaaand… now I am paranoid.

Sorry for this naive question, but do you mean actuall bats or bat flies (Nycteribiidae)? Never heard of bats residing in apartments or houses? That exists?

I don’t know what bat flies are… but insects don’t transmit rabies.

Sorry for this naive question, but do you mean actuall bats or bat flies (Nycteribiidae)? Never heard of bats residing in apartments or houses? That exists?[/quote]

Only land mammals get and trasmit the disease. I don’t even think you need the shot if you’re bitten by a dolphin.

I had a bat once fly into my apartment ay night. No idea how he got in. Woke up seeing a shadow circling the ceiling and thinking I must have left the ceiling fan on: then I realized I didn’t have a ceiling fan!