Re: Gilley's 'Finlandization' model - valid or off the mark?

Then Hartzell can finally be issued the local ID card he’s been wanting all these years.

Plans are already underway to issue US-authorized & approved ID cards to native Taiwanese persons. I started a thread about this on forumosa.com, however it was quickly taken over by the “peanut-gallery” types who specialize in satire and ridicule.
Validity of US-issued ID cards for native Formosans

The issuance of these cards would be the first step in providing internationally recognized ID documentation, issued by a sovereign government, for the Taiwanese people.

Contrary to some newspaper reports of late, the United States will not be granting “visa free” treatment to holders of the (non-sovereign) Republic of China passports.

Peanut gallery meaning, presumably, those who disagree with your viewpoint. :laughing: And sure, there’s ridicule, as is fitting for a ridiculous concept. But there’s no satire.
And you never DID get back to me with the names of these “groups” in Taichung and Kaohsiung, so alas, their busy backroom workings with the Americans will, sadly, remain under wraps, with nothing but your veiled allusions to “something’s HAPPENIN’ man! Something BIIIIG! I’m tellin’ ya, its goin’ DOWN, man!”

Sez you. Here’s a wager. NT$10 says there’ll be visa free privileges for Taiwanese passport holders LONG before they get US ID cards. :roflmao:

Plans are already underway to issue US-authorized & approved ID cards to native Taiwanese persons. I started a thread about this on forumosa.com, however it was quickly taken over by the “peanut-gallery” types who specialize in satire and ridicule.
[Validity of US-issued ID cards for native Formosans

[/quote]

So how does this relate to my question? Does this mean you think Taiwan would be officially a US territory, with US supposedly issuing IDs to Taiwanese and all?

[quote]The issuance of these cards would be the first step in providing internationally recognized ID documentation, issued by a sovereign government, for the Taiwanese people.
[/quote]

You know. I’m pretty sure Taiwanese people are perfectly happy with their ROC passport. It is, afterall, a better passport to travel with than a PRC passport. Kind of ironic that while ROC is not recognized, its passport holders have substantially more favorable visa regimes from many more countries than someone with a PRC passport.

But this US issued ID card. I’m just not sure who’s going to recognize it or even what the hell it’s used for.

[quote=“cfimages”]From ludahai’s link

If this is the basis for Taiwan being undetermined it doesn’t really hold, does it? Upon Japan renouncing rights and not specifying who it goes to, Taiwan either has to be considered to b[/b] belong to the then-current administrators (the ROC), b[/b] be abandoned in which case it goes to the ROC under the same principle as squatters rights or b[/b] be returned to the former owners (Qing which was succeeded by the ROC).[/quote]
The fourth option is:
b[/b] remain as occupied territory, under the jurisdiction of the (principal) occupying power of the relevant treaty. It Taiwan’s case it is the San Francisco Peace Treaty.

Occupied territory has not reached a “final political status,” and thus can be said to be “undetermined.”

[quote=“Hartzell”][quote=“cfimages”]From ludahai’s link

If this is the basis for Taiwan being undetermined it doesn’t really hold, does it? Upon Japan renouncing rights and not specifying who it goes to, Taiwan either has to be considered to b[/b] belong to the then-current administrators (the ROC), b[/b] be abandoned in which case it goes to the ROC under the same principle as squatters rights or b[/b] be returned to the former owners (Qing which was succeeded by the ROC).[/quote]
The fourth option is:
b[/b] remain as occupied territory, under the jurisdiction of the (principal) occupying power of the relevant treaty. It Taiwan’s case it is the San Francisco Peace Treaty.

Occupied territory has not reached a “final political status,” and thus can be said to be “undetermined.”[/quote]

Does this mean Taiwan’s upcoming election is illegitimate?