Recommended dermatologist in Taipei

Which you’ve already had, apparently. So you want another doc who’ll tell you what you want to hear rather than what’s best for your health?
Try the foreigner department at the 7th day adventist hospital on Bade Rd. You’ll pay, of course, but you’ll get an English-speaking doc who’s used to dealing with foreigners.

It’s not about getting someone to tell me what I want to hear. It’s about getting someone who will ACTUALLY treat me thoroughly. The guy on ShiDa who told me that birth control pills were “bad for me” obviously had no idea what he was talking about because he didn’t ask me ANY questions at all. He just took a quick look at my face and then prescribed me what he probably prescribes to anyone with those external symptoms. It’s BS, if you ask me.

If, after a thorough consultation with a dermatologist that knows what he/she is talking about, the doctor still tells me that pills are inappropriate for my condition, I’d be willing to accept that conclusion. Til then, I refuse to self-medicate or accept sub-par medical practices.

The doc at Shida is “famous” all over because “he’s a good doctor”, meaning he’s quite good at getting rid of whatever’s bugging you quickly (people here do not ask a lot of questions about how, just follow word of mouth). However, it also means he’s very sought after and hence his office will be full of people from near and far. Hence the crowds and the “slam-bam- next” approach. Anyone else would turn people back, but not here…

Near Tapinglin we have four very good dermatologists, basic English skills, and not so much slam-bam, but still not a good place to go on Mondays and Fridays. However, they open all day Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I know doctors here are a bit uneasy about prescribing the pill here. Please also note the brands -and components- are also different, and so they are wary about secondary effects.

My friend has a good reccommendation for a doc at Taida, who’s helped him with melanoma. Lemme know if you’d like me to get full data.

Going to one of the major hospitals -like Sandman’s suggestion to go to the Adventists- guarantees more extensive examinations and also the likelihood of English services available increases. I can even get Spanish speaking doctors if needed… if I call ahead, that is.

I prefer booking an appointment at the hospitals for any health problems and I also do not take a single pill before I do a bit of Internet seach about it and if possible consult my doc brother abroad.

That said, I am quite pleased with the quality of dermatological services here, in terms of their effectiveness. I had an issue for years back home and here it took one course of pills to get rid of it. Their methods can be crude sometimes, though: one guy took a Rambo knife and dug in my foot like he was looking for gold (actually, it was my fault, I was suppose to apply this medicine and then take out the dead skin myself). But it worked.

Sub-par? Sounds pretty much exactly like dermadocs everywhere I’ve ever lived. Prescribe a cream. If that doesn’t work, prescribe another, ad infinitum. Its the beauty of being a dermatologist, especially if you’re in private practice. You can keep your patients for years sometimes. My sister spent years getting her excema treated before someone prescribed something that actually worked.

Anyway, again, you seem to be looking for a fairly specialized set of criteria for your doc – English-speaking, Western-trained, female – so again, your best bet is to go to the Adventist Hospital (Bade Rd and Dunhwa S. Rd) and visit the foreigner section. You’ll pay extra, but you’ll get what you want. If you insist on the cheap option, its a crapshoot.

When I started using SK-II my acne disappeared. See if you actually have acne, it could be folliculitis which mimics acne but isn’t. It’s more of a inflammation.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folliculitis/DS00512

What SK-II products do you use - cleanser, lotion?

I’ve tried tons of products, mostly well-known American brands, and basically nothing works. It’s too strong (drying my skin out), or not strong enough (my face doesn’t feel clean).

But see, this is why I need to see a doctor - how do I know it’s acne or folliculitis or rosacea, or something else? Quite frustrating.

I’ve been to Adventist a few times for other conditions - they are great, but freaking expensive. I have national health insurance and it really pisses me off that I can’t use it there.

[quote=“kfc”]I’m saying I need doctor’s advice before I buy anything. I’m not going to medicate myself without first consulting a doctor. At least that’s how we do it in the US. I know many expats who have lived here for so long that they’ve lost grasp of that concept. I really can’t believe some of the stuff that is available OTC, like codeine cough syrup.

I would feel much more comfortable getting the advice of a medical professional before buying anything, since my acne is caused partly by hormones and partly by humidity. I don’t need advice on what meds to take from POSTERS. I need advice from posters about DERMATOLOGISTS. Thanks! =) Unless, of course, the poster IS a dermatologist, which I highly doubt.[/quote]

So the dermatologist looked at your skin and made a diagnosis?

Sorry for being so difficult.

You forgot, rude, illogical and presumptuous.

You know, this place is a community where people chat and help eachother. You haven’t contributed anything, you’ve just signed up and then been snippy when I didn’t act like a free online directory lookup for newbs who can’t take care of themselves? I actually asked a doctor friend for you, but … I guess you’ll have to do with the googled info now, you cheeky little madam. Enjoy your spots, kiddo.

Try Taida, Shinkong or Tzu Chi -they have Englsih services if requested.

Buttercup is right. You come here for help and fellow posters try to help you out. You shouldn’t get so mad at them, they are seriously only trying to help.

I would recommend Accutane only for chronic acne. Not for a few pimples that have been around for 6 months. By chronic, I mean years of pain.
If you get pregnant on it, you have to have an abortion. Other scary possible side effects were listed in the contract. I took it twice. I don’t regret it, but it sure isn’t for everyone.
Also, never, never for people who are not fully developed. It did some scary stuff to a friend who was just hitting puberty. Although now that she is an adult, she is considering taking it again.
Acne is not about vanity, it is 'effing painful all the time.

I use the SK-II facial treatment cleanser. When I was in Taiwan I also used the facial treatment clear lotion. It’s expensive here in the States, but I will never ever go back to using Clinque and all that other junk. This stuff by far has the been best for me.

A dermatologist should be able to tell the difference between acne and folliculitis. Yet, having folliculitis more than once I can tell you the differnce.

Acne, tends to stay “localizes” meaning, if you pop a zit, it goes or doesn’t spread. Folliculitis is like having a million and one zits, or small army of whiteheads but when you pop them, they don’t go away, in fact they spread. And on occasion itch. And you’ll need a medicated wash to rid them. Just follow the advice posted here to find a doc. 9 times out of 10 when people post a doc, they know what their talking about.

I had terrible cystic acne all over my chest, back and neck for a long time - way into my adult years. It would come and go, but never totally cleared up.

It’s painful and often can lead to needing an operation. The cysts can become very big and have to be cut out.

One trip to a dermatologist and he prescribed Roaccutane. Yes, it does have some nasty side effects (specially for women if they get pregnant) but it has totally cleared up my problem. I bought 2 months supply with me but will need to get more soon.

Is it possible to buy accutane over the counter here?

If not, does anyone know of a dermatologist in Miaoli/Hsin Chu area?

Anyone know a good english speaking derm that treats acne scars?

Can anyone tell me the address and /or phone number for the dermatologist on Shi-Da Road that was mentioned back on page 1 of this thead?

All I know is that it’s opposite a little park on Shi Da Road… Can anyone help? I don’t want to travel to Taipei and then get lost :slight_smile:

i find it funny that some people feel that they can come to another country, and then expect everything is just like it is at home.
As well as making uncomplementary comments about the medical service being backward.

If medical service is so important to you OP, perhaps getting it back in you home country where the medical service is to your satisfaction would be advised.

Um, why?

It’s pretty important to everyone. I’m guessing you’ve not spent extended periods abroad, nor had anything irrevocable happen to you due to negligence because you are a foreigner, in any country. Other people have, and so are more antsy.

The ‘go back home if you don’t like it’ viewpoint is daft and unconstructive at the best of times - when people are sick and vulnerable, it’s even less helpful.

:unamused:

Nice contradiction.

So the OP was a bit rude towards you probably cause she is stressed out about being in a new country and suffering from a medical condition that she can’t get treated to her satisfaction and you act like a fifth grader towards her? Nice one.

I understand the anxiety about healthcare here. It can be terribly upsetting. When I was living in Taipei I went to the Adventist when there was something wrong even though it cost a lot.

I’m the original poster. I stopped posting and replying on here precisely because I thought people were rude and not compassionate to me. If anyone’s curious, I still have not seen a dermatologist because I haven’t found or heard of anyone good. I suppose it doesn’t matter much - I’m escaping Taiwan in six months.

Not contradictory at all. Different things. One is someone moaning and being rude about not finding a doctor and whining because a bunch of strangers don’t really care, the other is the stupid, racist, culturally relativist ‘go home if you don’t like it’ mindset which you hear constantly from stage 2 cultureshock expats. Finding both of them obnoxious is not contradictory because they aren’t connected. Or maybe they are, in some spectacular link of logic?

Me, I had a difficult time at a hospital. I was actually sick. There have been permanent consequences to the negligent treatment I received in Taiwan. I understand the issues. But but moaning because strangers didn’t help me, or expecting the Taiwanese to be bad and scuttling back to my own country wouldn’t have made any difference.

I don’t know how old a fifth grader is.

Loboto, if you don’t understand, that’s fine; I don’t always express my views adequately. Eye-rolly smileys are really not appropriate on a public discuss forum. Maybe you could discuss dan2006’s post, and agree or disagree with that, rather than just trolling mine. Then we’d have a ‘constructive debate’ going on!

You attack someone for unhelpful comments but then you are so blatantly unhelpful. Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to not help people? You say you possess the information she is looking for but, uh-oh, she/he has upset you so you’re gonna keep it to yourself. Not very grown-up is it?

I’ve been here for 10 years. I can remember the anxieties I felt when I first arrived. Some deal with them better than others.

Buttercup I think a bit of a change in your outlook on life might do ya some good. And it might improve the quality of this forum as well.

And you can take your condescension and shove it up your arse :raspberry:

I’ve read a lot of your posts and it seems you like to put people down. Insecure are we?