Recommended hybrid: ASUS Transformer or Windows Surface?

Well, it might be possible for me this year to finally acquire a computer like device, which I haven’t had since my last one went kaboom last June. I like to read on the Internet and so I like having a tablet. But I also need a laptop for photo and article editing. I am thinking one of these hybrids would be a nice fit and comply with the dual dutie sof fun and work required.

ASUS is my go to for computers but the Surface seems to be highly recommended.

Support Taiwanese products, go with Asus haha.

Personally I don’t like tablets or anything of the sort. If I’m going to use my computer, I want something powerful and solid, otherwise I can just use my phone. I was really surprised the market for tablets got so big, for me I thought it was just a faze.

I was really happy with my ASUS Padfone but it broke down. I used to read articles from magazines, forums, etc. but it wsn’t that good for photo editing and certainly not Word. However, the camera was great. Awesome pics.

I would still like something that I can read from, comfortably. Not a small screen like the phone, not something too heavy -the Padfone was a bit on the heavy side, especially if you hold it in one hand, say, in public transportation or in the hospital.

I am not a gamer so I do not need a very potent machine. I was thinking maybe I can take up drawing on tablets. Got some pals with Samsung or iPads that have that hobbie.

I have a friend selling an iPad Mini if you’re interested.

For the PC, what kind of photo editing do you do? If it’s anything heavy duty, you need something a little more powerful than a tablet PC.

Eh, not a friend of the Apple family -a bit beyond my means. Though it is nice that it has an app for everything… at a price.

Not really heavy photo editing, basic cut and paste. For blogging and fun stuff.

Same here. I’ve gone 100% Apple product free. Was still using iTunes for a bit, but once I subscribed to Spotify, it was good by iTunes!

If it’s basic photo editing from pictures from your phone or maybe a camera then the Tablet PC should work out for you.

I would also stick to ASUS, however, don’t be surprised that components in the Microsoft unit are made in TW too. Someone can correct me on this if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Microsoft outsource their hardware production? Kind of like how Google outsourced to HTC, LG, ASUS for their phones and tablets.

Yep. ASUS is reliable, price is reasonable. Repair service is swift. Accessories are ubiquitous.

I could go for a tablet/reader and a laptop, separately, to keep things light. It would be more along th elines of a color Kindle or that cheapie ASUS tablet that goes for 6k. But still a hybrid seems a bit more diverse/powerful.

I’ll never buy another ASUS. I bought a high end notebook (~50K) with touch, gorilla glass. It’s 2 years old and the battery just died. When I tried to get it repaired by ASUS, I found they didn’t have any more batteries. They offered to replace it with another model and when I went to look at it, the spec were the same except the display was crappy and not touch. Besides this, the screws on the bottom keep falling out. I’ll go look for an aftermarket battery at Guanghua, and nurse it through another year before I replace it. Initially, I was very pleased with it, but they have pushed me to Apple by the way they supported it.

Go with Android.

Notebook?

What software do you use for photo editing, I have a surface pro 3, I’m erythromycin happy with it, it starts up faster than my phone or my iPad, never have any issues with it… However for photo editing its a bit light… I have an I5 series and sometimes freezes with coral painshop pro…

Hope that helps!

Whatever software comes with the machine and/or camera. My Sony had some cool stuff, but I can shop around.

I was having a look at the Amazon Fire, since I saw someone reading a Kindle on the MRT. It is aboutt 6600 ntd here in Taiwan.

Icon, let’s meet one of these days for coffee, I’ll bring along my Surface 4 Proand you can try it if you want.

The thing is, the Surface is not a tablet, it is a full-fledged computer. The specs are better than other alternatives, and while it’s pricy, it’s totally worth it.

I’m convinced the version of Windows 10 it has installed is tweaked for the Surface, and it boots up in about 5 seconds to the login screen, and 5 more to the desktop. It’s MUCH, much faster than any other Windows 10 computer I’ve tried.

The SSD in the Surface is also blazing fast, and the MicroSD slot, paired with a good MicroSD card, is still faster than a regular hard disk.

Totally worth it.

You might just want to purchase a tablet and laptop separately.

My budget is 30k. I am not spending any more on a computer of any kind.

And my knowledge is limited, even with Google I do not quite get it. Example:

Question: what does 1TB + 128G SSD mean? Is it they give me 1TB in normal disk space and only 128G SSD type?

You would want to install your operating system (such as Windows) on the solid state drive (SSD) because the SSD is very fast for loading programs (or just about anything really) compared to a hard disk drive (HDD). You could then use the 1 TB HDD for storing videos, photos, music, and any other data you have. This really gives you the best of both worlds: a fast way to boot up your computer with the SSD, and lots of storage space on the HDD.

The last computer I saw -which I am very interested in buying- had this set up. It comes with Windows 10 already, but no Office. Office in Chinese is nearly 5000 ntd, so I am looking into 8k for English version. There use dto be a downloadable language multipack, dunno if that is still feasible. I would love to practice kanji by hand. And I need my Spanish spellchecker.