Recommended places to take your kids in Taipei

Thanks 914 and asiababy for the tipps. Will put them on our list. :sunglasses: Yup, coming back for a quick visit in January. How about you? Sounds like you are back longterm again?

Hey Borogroove,
Is the National Science Center re-opened? I remember it was closing or moving. Anyway, thanks for reminding me of this place. My daughter loves science.

[quote=“KathVic”]Hey Borogroove,
Is the National Science Center re-opened? I remember it was closing or moving. Anyway, thanks for reminding me of this place. My daughter loves science.[/quote]

Yup, it was definitely open last Saturday, when I went, and it sounds like 914 went on Sunday. We actually never made it to the Science Center proper, because we had so much fun in the Kids Learning and Discovery Center on the B1 level. The Discovery Center is more of a playspace than a science-themed exhibit, but it does have cool brain-teaser-type puzzles and great blocks for building.

For science stuff, maybe you already know about this, but someone recently told me about the Taipei Children’s Recreation Center, which has a science section: english.tcrc.taipei.gov.tw/np.as … &mp=104042. We haven’t been yet, but it sounds like it’s worth checking out.

The Taiwan Land Bank Exhibition Hall of the National Taiwan Museum across from the 228 Park downtown. The life-size dinosaur displays will sure arouse the imagination of young kids.

I also agree, for 10 NT per person, it is really cheap, and the ticket price includes going to the main National Taiwan Museum right across the street. I have worked in the museum offices last year, and I know that the museum staff and volunteers are really helpful in tours, and try answering all questions.

Just found a place that my 2.5 year old loved. It’s called “Baby Kitchen” in Da-An, and it’s right next to Long-An Elementary school off Xin-Shen Rd. It’s a western style brunch place, and the prices are insanely expensive compared to what you normally get in Taiwan, but it’s a nice change of pace when you can’t deal with the crowds and the teeny tiny tables and your kid is sick and tired of Chinese food.

They have a little playspace in lower level. Just a chalkboard and some toy cars. Nothing big or extravagant, but it keeps the young kids happy for a bit.

[quote=“scomargo”]Babyboss is a great place. If you go during your child’s birthday month, and you buy a VIP card for them (NT$300), then the child can go for free and the parent can go for $100. Still not cheap, but it’s not bad for a half day of fun.

Even our three-year old children loved it, so I’m sure an older child would like it a lot.[/quote]

Half a day of fun? Make that a full day - couldn’t drag her out of there. She was:
An energency medical techician, firewoman, air stewardess, police detective, ecologist and more that I’ve forgotten.
Also made cookies and wu-long noodles.

For the time we spent, and the fun we had, pretty good value. Something like $1200 for me and her all day, she had a VIP card (her 2nd visit).
Only problem is that they don’t allow you to bring external food or drink in, but there’s no bag check, and we managed to get around that :wink:.

Hi all Limey here…been a while.

Does ayone have any ideas in 新莊 (Xin Zhung)? we are here with our two boys, three and one.

Thanks,

My kid likes Y17. Suitable for 3-6
http://www.y17.com.tw/index.php

He also enjoys Xin Yi Ji Jing Hui
http://www.hsin-yi.org.tw/kidsPark/

*edit The 4th floor is suitable for 3-6. They also have rock climbing on the 8th? floor for older kids and they have a HUGE inline skating rink on B1.

Thanks Kai,

Forgot to mention - our three year old understands Chinese very well, but doesn’t speak much.

I’ll have a look at these. We went to IKEA yesterday which was fun, they both enjoy the toys and food.

[quote=“kaikai34”]My kid likes Y17. Suitable for 3-6
http://www.y17.com.tw/index.php

He also enjoys Xinyi Ji Jing Hui
http://www.Xinyi.org.tw/kidsPark/

*edit The 4th floor is suitable for 3-6. They also have rock climbing on the 8th? floor for older kids and they have a HUGE inline skating rink on B1.[/quote]

Y17’s play area (the one on the third floor that has the ballpool, small climbing wall etc) is closeddown from today (September 22). You can get refunds on your tickets on the first floor until September 30th. After that, you have to go to a nearby kindergarten to get the refund.

[quote]一、親子教學館營運時間至102年9月22日止,且自102年9月23日起休館撤場。
二、親子館過去販售之所有票券自102年9月23日起依顧客當時購買之平均票價退費。
三、親子館退票地點及時間:
1.102年9月30日前請於青育中心一樓客服中心辦理退票
辦理時間:每日上午九點至下午五點卅分
洽詢專線:(02)23432388分機7101、7106
2.102年10月1日起至103年4月30日止請於私立永康幼兒園辦理退票
私立永康幼兒園園址:台北市中正區信義路一段13-3號
辦理時間:週一~五上午十點至下午五點
洽詢專線:(02)23410678
[/quote]

http://www.y17.com.tw/modules.php

By the way, just in case anyone doesn’t know, you can get a gold card for the zoo (annual membership; $300) that covers the $60 main ticket for the zoo (not the $5 train or $10-20 education center fees), so if you visit over five times in one year, it’s worth it, and it also covers some of the fees for the Science Education Center in Shilin (like the permanent exhibits, and discounts on some other things like the playroom and some special exhibits), the Fine Arts Museum, and entrance to the kids’ fairgrounds across from that. We go to the zoo just about every week, so you can imagine the savings.

If your kids love Legos as much as mine do, they may like going to the Lego store next to the YuanShan Soccer Stadium over there in the new little Arts/Food development between YuanShan MRT and ZhongShan N. Rd (the old flower show site). It’s crowded, but they let the kids play and check out all the sculptures that are already finished.

Is that the store (just south of the kids’ fair) on Zhongshan N. Rd. that lets you buy loose pieces or your finished sculpture at a per gram price?

BTW, there are also giant Lego blocks in the playroom at the Science Education Center (ticket required), B1.

For children in public schools entrance to the zoo is is free. Not sure about the other venues.

Is that just an exhibition? My niece is in town from the states and she loooooooves Legos.

However, I know there’s not many stores here in Taipei that allows kids to play with Legos, only stores that sell Legos.

Is that just an exhibition? My niece is in town from the states and she loooooooves Legos.

However, I know there’s not many stores here in Taipei that allows kids to play with Legos, only stores that sell Legos.[/quote]

You can play with the LEGO there. There are a few other places that have opened recently, too. They are called Brick Works. The one in Taipei Arena is larger than the Yuan Shan store.

However, I know there’s not many stores here in Taipei that allows kids to play with Legos, only stores that sell Legos.[/quote]

It’s Lego.

No s. Legos sounds like an island off Greece somewhere,

It’s Lego.

No s. Legos sounds like an island off Greece somewhere,[/quote]

You got the idea didn’t you?

I’m sorry, but I’m just tired of grammar police in these forums. It’s like there’s a set of you guys here out to correct people.

Yeah, I got the name wrong. Thanks.

You learned something useful.