Religious freedom used as excuse for bigotry and prejudice

I think it’s insane that businesses can’t refuse to provide a service.

Forget homophobia for s minute. What if someone wanted a nazi cake. Red velvet with a big ol licorice swastika or something. Are you seriously going to argue that the state needs to force them to do it?

The government doesn’t need to be involved in every facet of your life. There’s plenty of bakeries.

Absolutely. Why not?

Who wants to join a club that doesn’t want you as a member?!

Can we have a college that doesn’t let white men in?

Or any men in?

Just asking.

This is what I was talking about.
2 different things.

The Irish bakers are in trouble because they wouldn’t write a message they found offensive on the cake, much like your swastika example.
I don’t think I agree with this, I think they have every right to not include it. If I own a T shirt shop and you want me to make you a run of shirts that say GRAB 'EM BY THE PUSSY or @Dr_Milker FOR PRESIDENT, I should have every right to refuse to do so.

The American bakers, OTOH, are being charged because they refused to serve the couple based on their gender orientation. Extending your example, that would be like refusing to provide any services whatsoever because the customer was a Nazi.
This, I believe, should be prohibited by law (see my previous regarding the Muslim lady and the candy bar).

1 Like

Is it privately funded? If so sure. Why the hell would I want to attend a privately funded college that doesn’t want white men?

I still disagree. I’m very uncomfortable with the idea of forcing private entities - or in some cases individuals - to engage in business with people they don’t want to. Being served cake is not a fundamental right.

I’d leave to businesses to decide what to do. If a business owner is willing to give up some income because he doesn’t want to deal with a particular customer, let him be.

There are some stores in areas of France where women are not allowed to enter and/or owners refuse to provide them with any service. It’s retarded for me, but it’s their own store/bar/coffee shop.

I’d stamp that out…Slippery slope.

You do realize that he is referring to Muslim no-go areas in France that ban women from coffee shops?

Of course I was, but if I wrote my post more in detail it may have been reported and deleted for nazi-fascism, so I tried to keep it vague and give people the freedom to use Google for further info.

[quote=“IbisWtf, post:30, topic:161382, full:true”]
Of course I was, but if I wrote my post more in detail it may have been reported and deleted for nazi-fascism…[/quote]

Yeah well, you should have thought of that before you ordered that swastika cake from @monkey_yuan

Cake macht frei!

Mein Kuchen!!

Are you two conversing in Nazi code? I’m reporting this to the proper authorities!

Do you have anything against nazi rodents? What a bigot.

No, only Nazi cats. Those are some sadistic mofos.

Yeah I knew that.

Didnt the gay couple in the States go specifically looking to find a cake shop in a Christian backwater just to prove a point? Im not sure if this is the same case, but they went to tens of cake shops looking for one to refuse them. I dont really see the point of the court cases in terms of increasing equality for homosexuals. Hunting down devout Christians and forcing them to make cakes is not going to bring about change. It will take generations and slow incremental changes to see real difference of opinion from the religious right.

I 100% support gay marriage, but the cake thing seems really petty. Also its a bit of a donk move to politicize your wedding, hopefully one of the happiest days of your life.

2 Likes

That’s changes my perspective if they were fishing for this response. I mean if I went around some places in the US I’m sure I’ll get one of those “go back to your country you slanted eye jap” people.
I have to admit I’m not perfect, I’m still maturing in my point of view as a person and there are views in my past that I changed my stance on. But at the end of the day, there’s always going to be people that are bigoted. And laws that prevent people from doing it does will unlikely change their views. But that’s still not to say there shouldn’t be laws on it.

1 Like

Same, I think refusing service should be illegal, but at the same time, spending your wedding time hunting down a poor conservative Christian to refuse you is wrong. They are just being petty and creating an ‘us’ and ‘the’ mentality between Conservative and Liberal America.