Religious freedom used as excuse for bigotry and prejudice

I never saw anything about that, where did you hear this?

Sounds a little bit like some Whiny Righty peeing in the pool after the fact, TBH.

I heard it on the Rubin report. Dave Rubin is a gay, married liberal man. Cant find direct quotes.

Do you think a Muslim baker should be made to bake a cake in the image of Mohammed? Or a gay wedding cake for that matter?

Iā€™m saying in a perfect world, the baker should bake the cake. But by taking the baker to court, you are not helping to create a perfect world and are in fact doing the opposite. Far easier to just find another baker

Relax, son, I was just asking.

Thereā€™s a whole frigging thread up on top of your head there explaining in detail what I think.
Youā€™re missing the point that was made repeatedly about the difference between ā€œa Muslim baker (being) made to bake a cake in the image of Mohammedā€ (which I think we all agree is excessive and unproductive) and a Muslim baker not being allowed to refuse to do business at all with infidels (which is basically Jim Crow reform).

As Brother @Brianjones said, itā€™s a slippery slope.

Iā€™m actually starting a niche bakery that only caters exclusively homosexuals and nazis. Iā€™ll have a natural monopoly from all these spurned-cake eaters.

A post was split to a new topic: From Religious freedomā€¦

I`m sure you and your Ernst Rohm-like posse ruled Leduc. :grin:

My opinionā€¦If you own a bake shop with generic cakes please sell those cakes to anyone who comes in your store. If asked to make a special cakes saying ā€œGays Rock! Homosexuals Rule!ā€ you may refuse to make this cake if you think is offensive.

If every store or company has its own set of restrictions as to who can buy products the most efficient way would be to segregate every city by skin color, religion, sexual preference, etc. so only like-minded stores are nearby. For example, if my neighborhood only has one bakery I might have to drive very far to find a baker willing to sell to a mixed race couple.

1 Like

But what you are saying is making the thread slippy.

He`s taking the piss LOL

Now thereā€™s a litmus test. I suspect thereā€™s a double standard, and hereā€™s how we prove it.

SJWs are tyrannical scum. Itā€™s not about freedom. Itā€™s about power tripping.

1 Like

What a bunch of flamers. Itā€™s like american politics, everyone pointing the finger. No one really discussing anything. FLAMERS

I see what you did there.

But whoā€™s supposed to define these boundaries? These things are defined by peopleā€™s own morality, be it based on religion or personal experience doesnā€™t matter.

Just try to make up a list of this kind of scenarios:

Jewish bakery asked to bake a cake with a svastika on Hitlerā€™s birthday
Muslim bakery asked to bake a cake with an image of mohammed
Christian bakery asked to bake a cake for a gay wedding
Christian bakery asked to bake a cake to celebrate a mom who survived an abortion
Muslim bakery asked to bake a cake with the drawing of a woman setting a burqa on fire

And the list could go on, and on, and on.

Whatā€™s the limit? And who decides it? Do we want the government to step up as a moral busybody and say:ā€œOk, businesses are forced to serve customers who demand X,Y and Z, but F and G are excessive and they are entitled to refuse serviceā€. Thatā€™s bollocks , let people handle it the way they want. A bakery doesnā€™t want to make a gay cake? Let the bakery next door do it, thereā€™s no need to enforce any sort of moral/religious law.

In before:ā€œBut what if no one wants to make the cake!ā€ ā†’ you do it yourself, and if thereā€™s a large enough market for gay cakes with mohammed and flying svastikas, someone will eventually open a bakery that focuses on those and make a shitton of money.

To be even clearer: on a principle level I donā€™t see anything wrong in businesses denying service to people based on their gender, race or nationality. If I knew of a store that doesnā€™t serve Indian people because the owner is from a country that has some beef with India/Indians, Iā€™d simply consider the owner an idiot and avoid that store. If enough people do the same, the store owner would change his policy fairly quickly or sell the store. Now this example with an Indian-hating store owner sounds pretty silly, but if an Armenian opened a store and decided to deny any service to Turks then we would be walking on a thin line, not too different from the Jewish/Nazi situation.

2 Likes

Well, fortunately discrimination laws donā€™t work like that. You canā€™t force people to write expressions they donā€™t agree with or images they donā€™t agree with. BUT if you deny a generic product, be it a cake, a room for rent or whatever and do so based on race, sex, religion and now sexual orientation, you can be sued, itā€™s really as simple as that.

1 Like

I know, Iā€™d just prefer a system where discrimination in a business is punished by other peopleā€™s feedback rather than by arbitrary rules. Not far from home thereā€™s a Vietnamese store that only serve women. I donā€™t know the reason behind it (religion? culture? no idea), I simply donā€™t go there.

1 Like

For those who prefer only free market system to resolve such issuesā€¦good luck. I am absolutely for free markets within certain parameters. If a baker refuses to sell cakes to all non-Christians then of course he will also not hire non-Christiansā€¦and how about the hundreds of more ā€œfringeā€ religious types who work in companies all over the U.S. including govt officesā€¦of course, they cannot possibly provide services to those who do not share their viewpoints.

I am not saying you are forced to make any special cake per any request. But limits need to be set on discriminationā€¦as hard as they may be for some to accept. Some ā€œfreedomsā€ are naturally curtailed when you live in a society full of other people unlike you.

My hope is for a more inclusive society. You can make choices all the time based on your religionā€¦who you marry, how you educate your children, how you dress, what you eat, your weekly church service, etc. Seems very free to me. But when you step out into society full of so many people who do not share the exact, narrow set of beliefs as youā€¦then please be open and forgiving as you cross their paths. If you cannot then be a farmer only selling your products to your neighbors.

[quote=ā€œFlakman, post:56, topic:161382, full:trueā€]
I am absolutely for free markets within certain parameters. [/quote]

Absolutely, within certain parameters: the great libertarian paradox! :smile:

(Iā€™m not trying to mock you, just pointing out one of my pet peeves.)

You do know they put images and expressions on cakes, right?

The state should offer public services to all legal citizens, no matter what their race, gender, religion etc. A private business is a different entity, though. If for some reasons a business owner doesnā€™t want to hire or work with the group X, no one should force him to and if his decisions leads him to a bad situation, heā€™ll pay the price for that. If you donā€™t hire Siberian Hamish people because ā€œrandom reason #1ā€ you may pass up on some possibly good employees, and if you decide not to serve Latin-American Taoist customers because ā€œrandom reason #2ā€ youā€™re giving up some income. But if that makes you happy, for whatever reasons you may have to hate Siberian Hamish people and Latin-American Taoists, then be my guest.

Yes, but you canā€™t force someone to put an expression or image on a cake if they find it offensive. Thatā€™s where the line is drawn, I can dig up some more extensive discussion on the subject if you like.