Renewing JFRV ARC

Extending your ARC.

if you are extending your ARC, and all the spaces on the back are filled, you will likely need to get a brand spanking new one.

As of July 1st, they are BLUE and they are plastic with microchip sort of technology in them. I just got one. To get this new card, you DO need photographs (2"x2"). And I had to wait two weeks… I don’t know why it was that long… but anyway!

Otherwise extending the old style ARC by adding the date on the back is a simpler procedure. Can be accomplished on the same day.

Kenneth

Can you renew your jfrc from the US?

Here’s what it says on the NIA site now:

Notice that last bit in bold.

Did any of you who renewed recently have to bring your spouse along?

Also, does anyone know the Chinese for whatever household registration transcript is needed, so I can get my wife to get the right one for me?

I didn’t.

When I went in the guy working there first started to say that my wife had to be with me but he was then corrected by his superior who said because I wasn’t a Philippino or Thai (or one of the other ‘less desirable’ nationalities) it was ok without her being present.

So I assume that means if you’re from Europe, NA, Australia, etc you’re ok flying solo. Just another fine example of Taiwanese prejudice.

I think the household registration form you want is called a ten3ben3, or something very similar to that. It should cost like 10 or 20NT per page.

It’s a teng2ben3, I think.

Hm.

I’ve never actually been to this office. My FIL’s always handled it since 1999.

Renewing this week and would like my new card by next Monday. Is it still taking 2 weeks?

I just renewed my card after three years and learned three things I didn’t know:

1. They have moved since I last had to do all this.
  2. They have changed the ARC card since I applied so I should have had a “Taiwan ID” style picture taken at a photo shop, not the one just one from the machine downstairs.
  3. You can’t apply too early (I was over two months before expiry date, the lady was going to send me away and come back when I only had a month left, but then took pity on me… a two and half hour wait with two toddlers and you tell me NOW??? I did show my card to two people at Information to make sure…)
  4. It takes about a week before you card is ready, and if you prepare a registered letter envelope (available downstairs at the post office) they can send it out to you so you don’t have to go back to pick it up.

I did it today, and it only took 40 minutes which was better than I expected.

I actually got 3 years and 7 months! That’s becasue they owed me 7 months form last time, becuase my passport was expiring. I didn’t expect them to ‘remember’ as it changed from police to NIA in that time, but they had a record.

Points to note:

1. You definitely need the photo now. Even with space on the back of my old card, everyone’s getting new cardfs now.

2. Proof of address is necessary if your residential address is different from that on the household registration printout.

3. I didn’t have to bring my wife.

4. It takes 12 days until you can pick it up, or bring 26NT to get it posted.

5. There’s no more re-entry permits in the passport. The reentry ‘permit’ is written on the ARC, so you definitely need to bring it with you if you want to come back into the country.

6. I still think 3000NT is bloody expensive!

Brian

Hi JFRV guys: I have one and it’s more than a year until it expires. However, I am moving from Taipei City to Taipei County, so I have to go and register my change of address. This means I have to go to the Banciao place for the first time. Do you know if I have to bring all those documents that I would for a renewal, or just the ones pertaining to my change of address? Thanks for any clarification.

You should only need to bring your household registration certificate showing the new address.

Also, to change address you can do it at either the place you’re moving too, or moving from (at least that’s how it used to be 2 years ago).

Brian

Hi, does anyone have updated info on just how early one can renew a JFRV-based ARC? My driver’s licenses will expire while on vacation abroad in Oct., then my ARC expires Nov. 5th; can I renew the ARC in September, about 5 weeks early, so that I can then renew the DL’s based on it? Or is there a strict one-month limit on how early you can renew your ARC? Thanks!

I found out today (the hard way) that the limit is one month. They did not let me renew because I came in just a couple days earlier than that limit. And they weren’t very nice about it, either. :s I explained that I’ll be out of the country most of Oct., and they wanted proof, which I hadn’t brought with me. Just FYI.

To renew your ARC you need to show proof of an MMR vaccination. What about for JFRV?

A what? Not unless it’s a new rule.

MMR is a new part of the health check. If you don’t need a health check, I’d guess you don’t need to prove MMR.

To renew your JFRV you need only provide a copy of your household registration, as far as I recall.

Last time I did it they also needed photographs of me and the missus doing the deed.