Rent Big Motorcycles Around Taiwan (not scooters)

Are there any places in Hualien and Taidong to rent big motorcycles?

I usually rent in Taipei and ride down, but would like to take train down and then rent.

I know of a place in Kaohsiung…

Hualien does not have much

Theres a place that rents a couple BMW tour bikes and theres a place that rents a SYM t2 250
Possibly might be a couple new places but thats about it for anything bigger

Taidong you will find nothing about 125-150cc motorcycles

@Kiwi432
Do you know the name/contact info of the places that rent bigger bikes in Hualian?
Cheers

Renting big bikes here is a little dangerous. If you do manage to rent one just be careful. There isn’t any insurance that covers you on a big bike here. If you wreck the motorcycle or cause any damage to it you are liable for it. You are also liable for paying the fees for all the days the motorcycle is out of service. So it could be a hefty fee if you wreck it. The companies don’t offer any kind of extra insurance fee. So, if you do decide to rent, just be careful and keep that in the back of your mind.

I’ve rented big bikes here on 3 separate occasions with no problems. All were 1000 cc bikes. 1 was out of Taichung (Taizhong) and 2 out of Zhongli. I also know of other foreigners visiting and renting bikes without issue. Just don’t crash it.

I’ve rented big bikes here on 3 separate occasions with no problems. All were 1000 cc bikes. 1 was out of Taichung (Taizhong) and 2 out of Zhongli. I also know of other foreigners visiting and renting bikes without issue. Just don’t crash it.[/quote]

I don’t think you understood…Im talking about crashing them. not renting. Renting them is easy. If you crash them you are liable for everything including every day they are out of service.

I’ve rented big bikes here on 3 separate occasions with no problems. All were 1000 cc bikes. 1 was out of Taichung (Taizhong) and 2 out of Zhongli. I also know of other foreigners visiting and renting bikes without issue. Just don’t crash it.[/quote]

I don’t think you understood…Im talking about crashing them. not renting. Renting them is easy. If you crash them you are liable for everything including every day they are out of service.[/quote]

I don’t think you understood…he’s asking about renting them, not crashing them. :roflmao:

I don’t think you understood…Im talking about crashing them. not renting. Renting them is easy. If you crash them you are liable for everything including every day they are out of service.[/quote]

I don’t think you understood…he’s asking about renting them, not crashing them. :roflmao:[/quote]

Yep and I was saying be careful when you rent them because if you crash you are screwed. Just trying to warn him. Some people might not want to rent a big bike here knowing that there is no insurance that covers them. Also, not only will the renter be liable for all the repairs, they are also liable for everyday the motorcycle isn’t available to be rented. I personally think that is a good fact to know. Don’t you?

It’s a very good fact to know. A few years ago a vietnamese colleague rented a car from a cheap hire company, he ended up crashing it through his own fault. He had to pay in full for the repairs but the killer was the daily rental whilst it was off the road…almost 2 months and no sign of repairs being completed so he ended up taking a few managers from work with him to negotiate a deal, all in all it would have been immeasurably cheaper for him to have bought a second hand car for his trip, he could have bought a brand new one and sold it later losing less than the hire eventually cost him. Be careful out there, there are still plenty of cowboy outfits about!

there’s a place in taipei that has an upper limit of 7 days loss of rental income if you crash…and they’re true to their word because unfortunately i personally put that to the test last year

Ouch…what happened and how much did the total for repairs and rental come to?

wasn’t too bad actually couln’t remember the amount EDIT:was 100000 most of it was the akra exhaust…this shop itemised everything and they REPAIRED instead of replace everything when they could. basically hit oil patch slid to other side of road and the bike hit a barrier

good thing about being owned by a workshop i guess

[quote=“fobacademy87”]wasn’t too bad actually couln’t remember the amount EDIT:was 100000 most of it was the akra exhaust…this shop itemised everything and they REPAIRED instead of replace everything when they could. basically hit oil patch slid to other side of road and the bike hit a barrier

good thing about being owned by a workshop i guess[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. At least you didn’t get too hurt. Yeah, renting motorcycles here really isn’t the best idea. Too much to lose.

cant help it love riding work in the industry too un/fortunately i live bikes haha

Me too, so I own them instead of renting them. :slight_smile:

Me too, so I own them instead of renting them. :slight_smile:[/quote]

But, in Taiwan, for the price of buying a new sport bike you could rent one (or several different bikes/styles) 150+ times! That’s every weekend for 3 years and never having to worry about maintenance, tires, registration, etc. So in some aspects, renting is very much a great option, especially for those of us who don’t have much time to get out and ride! :2cents:

Me too, so I own them instead of renting them. :slight_smile:[/quote]

But, in Taiwan, for the price of buying a new sport bike you could rent one (or several different bikes/styles) 150+ times! That’s every weekend for 3 years and never having to worry about maintenance, tires, registration, etc. So in some aspects, renting is very much a great option, especially for those of us who don’t have much time to get out and ride! :2cents:[/quote]

I understand, but with one big crash you will end up owning that bike. Hahah. Be safe out there, I don’t wanna hear about another fellow Zhongli guy getting raped from crashing their rental sports bike. Just thinking about it gives me the goose bumps.

[quote=“fobacademy87”]wasn’t too bad actually couln’t remember the amount EDIT:was 100000 most of it was the akra exhaust…this shop itemised everything and they REPAIRED instead of replace everything when they could. basically hit oil patch slid to other side of road and the bike hit a barrier

good thing about being owned by a workshop i guess[/quote]

Worked out to be an expensive rental alright and certainly put me off any thoughts I might have been having about renting a sports bike here!

It’s great that some of you have had experiences renting larger motorcycles in Taiwan, but why not provide specific details? Contact information? Shop location?

I’m also interested in renting a large motorcycle while I’m in Taiwan. I have plenty of experience riding large (800-1200CC) motos in the US, and smaller motos here (125-250CC), a US license with an unlimited endorsement, an international drivers license, and the financial means to cover any damages that may (but will hopefully not) be incurred).

I’m especially interested in BMW or KTM enduro/ADV style bikes, but am open to others as well.

Does anyone have specific information about renting such a motorcycle?

1 Like