Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

I am definetively doing something wrong. The more they live together, the more they hate each other.

The dog used to roll with the punches. Then he just got fed up of the body slams and food thefts. I think the straw that broke the cammels back was that the cats started stealing his cheese treats.

I served the cats their own cheesy treats. Nope, they wanted them from the dog’s bowl.

Now it’s the staredown contest. Entrance to the cats’ room is blocked by a gate. Well, a cat or two sit on one side, the dog at the other, and they growl and bark to each other. I put up a courtain and what do you know, they brought it down.

And talking about bringing it down, over the weekend, the cats brought down the dog carrier -you know, one of those bags- from the hook by the door -along with several other purses- and peed on it. I didn’t notice until I put the dog in it, went out and started getting weird stares…

Sigh

sad they don’t get together… at least my dog goes well with any cat I remember, specialy if they want to play with her…

Maybe you’re going to have to get a more compatible pair of pets.

You know, something like a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a goat tethered to a stake, for example…

Our house has baby gates to separate the cat and the dog. The dog (a dogfight puppy) loves the cat but the cat scratches the shit out of his face. We keep 'em apart because we’re worried the dog will start fighting back and shred the cat.

The kitten ignores all border controls and gets on fine with everyone.

well i think that u need to apply a little more discipline to the dog, when u are home, as soon as u see any kind of aggression from the dog towards the cats then you do something to snap him out of that state of mind “like the dog whisperer says lol” and that actually works. get the cat next to you and the dog on the other side, and let them relax without touching each other but been near and with you in the middle, if one of them wants to run force them to stay where u want them to stay, and remember, whenever u see a growling or something from the dog make a sound and give him a touch on the shoulders, that will put him in a different state of mind…
that is what i did with the ferret and the dog… now they dont really play but they can be next to each other, walk together, sit together and even drink water from the same bowl … there is one episode from Cesar Milan where he deals with a cat dog situation and that is what he does… check it out, i know its in a torrent waiting for you to download it and learn from it !!

Yep, I’ve tried that and as long as I am there, there is a truce in the hostilities.

However, I do not think Caesar has said anything about cats being aggressive or cheese snack theft!

The war is still going on.

I bought the dog a beautiful sweater for Christmas. It goes missing a few days ago. As I start spring cleaning, I find it in the furthest corner under the bed. To make it worse, the cats peed on it. It is as if they wanted to make sure I am clear with their displeasure. I am, believe me. Their jealosy of the dog comes loud and clear.

They drink from his bowl -even though they have 4 of their own- and eat his food -if there is some on the plate -no matter if they must leave tuna on their own disehs behind.

And about the barriers: now the cat waits behind the gate, and when the dog is near enough, he just leans over and in one swift movement, POW!, a quick slash with the claws right on the dog’s nose. You blink, you miss it. The dog is left all confused -what happened?- and most of the time sitting on his butt, wide eyed.

[quote=“the chief”]Maybe you’re going to have to get a more compatible pair of pets.

You know, something like a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a goat tethered to a stake, for example…[/quote]

I like the way you think.

Eh, how do you guys feel about a muzzle?

The new doggie has the speed and cunning to catch up with the cats. The barriers that stop Toto on his tracks meet nothing to him. The only thing he has in common with Toto is going after the cats and barking when he sees them -which is funny since Toto cannot see them. When he was in the balcony it was OK, separate states. But in this weather we are all in the living room and things get interesting. That is not a safe/healthy situation.

I am thinking a muzzle for both Toto and Bobby, so they can wander around, go about their business, but do no harm to teh cats should they need to cross dog territory -living room- to get to theirs -balcony or my bed.

So far, going Caesar has not produced much effect.

OK, I am tired of this. Yesterday, I went to a friend’s home, and while not all is love and peaches, the cats and dogs sort of get along… and they met like a week ago.

In my home, it’s been what, 5 years, and we are still with the baby gates and hiss and steal treats and hide clothes and … I am tired of it. I want to use just one heater, so we can all sleep warm in one room. I want to avoid breaking my neck every time I go from one room to the other because my slipper gets stuck in the baby gate. No more.

One thing I’ve never done is to let them have it out. But I am afraid of the vet bill afterwards.

Totally betting on the cats!!!

put the cats in their place as well. just take a day off and do nothing but follow around being fully prepared to snap doggy on the snout and spray the cats with a squirt gun when they are even getting the glimmer of mischief in their eyes. back home we had a similar situation, in the end ti took one epic fight, and eventually they came to their senses. well the dog did, cats are f’ing nuts. they did eventually, about 6 months later, sleep together til death.

it just takes a few days of super determination and being on top of ay BS they pull. that or the hierarchical rank is set naturally.

Classic :slight_smile:

The only thing I can suggest you is watching a couple of episodes of Cesar Milan concerning the cohabitation cats/dogs and I am pretty sure that the problem will be the human not the animals ( as always).
Your dog should stay your dog and the same for the cat. But if you think they are your babies or whatever then the problems irrupt.
So check some videos on YouTube and for sure you will find an answer.

The problem with those videos is that they begin with an oxymoron: Start with a calm cat…

Honey, if I had a calm cat, we wouldn’t be in this predicament!

I tried it Cesar’s way. Now studying Galaxy, who focuses on cats.

I see so if the dog is not the problem then you have this lad called Jackson Galaxy. In his program he explains how to make ur cat calmer. Basically ur cat is not feeling confortable anymore at home so you’ll need to reorganize a bit everything.
The program is called " cats from hell".
The lad looks silly but he’s starting to have a good reputation so maybe you’ll get some good advice. :slight_smile:

[quote=“brobronek”]I see so if the dog is not the problem then you have this lad called Jackson Galaxy. In his program he explains how to make your cat calmer. Basically your cat is not feeling confortable anymore at home so you’ll need to reorganize a bit everything.
The program is called " cats from hell".
The lad looks silly but he’s starting to have a good reputation so maybe you’ll get some good advice. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Oh, the dog is a problem. Less of a problem now but still not very friendly. He’s very territorial. I have been trying taking down one baby gate and he won’t cross over the cats’ area, but if he sees the cats even peeking in his room… War…

And the cats won’t stay calm around him. I noticed that he won’t bother the vet’s cats because they are calm. He won’t bother outside cats if they are calm. But mine jump and run and throw things around and at him… sigh

The problem is that you can not be objective as you r not the pack leader.
You have the dog then the cats then you. Remember, it is not your dog’s house. It is your house. He is part of your pack not the opposite.
You will need to make him surrender completely, then you will be able to change the rule.
His place should be always the lowest inside the pack so he can become a follower and he should be very happy being in that position. Remember, he is a dog, an animal. And you are the Boss.
By attacking the cat he is claiming a territory, a space , a food or whatever … He should not be allowed to claim something which is YOURS unless u r not the pack leader.
Please, take time to watch Cesar and try to learn how to make a dog surrender.
The real problem is not your dog.
The problem is the human behind the leash.

[quote=“brobronek”]The problem is that you can not be objective as you r not the pack leader.
You have the dog then the cats then you. Remember, it is not your dog’s house. It is your house. He is part of your pack not the opposite.
You will need to make him surrender completely, then you will be able to change the rule.
His place should be always the lowest inside the pack so he can become a follower and he should be very happy being in that position. Remember, he is a dog, an animal. And you are the Boss.
By attacking the cat he is claiming a territory, a space , a food or whatever … He should not be allowed to claim something which is YOURS unless u r not the pack leader.
Please, take time to watch Cesar and try to learn how to make a dog surrender.
The real problem is not your dog.
The problem is the human behind the leash.[/quote]

:blush:

been watching and reading Cesar for a while. Not internalizing, it seems, but it has helped. Dog waits to be leashed to go out, sits on command… but yeah, territorial behavior is not kosher.