Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

I could picture bobby swatting at the cats, and mumbling “idjits” under his breath, in Caninian of course.

Well, Toto has been weaker than usual this winter, and bumps into Bobby every time he walks by, which infuriates Bobby and as a result, he attacks Toto. The vet says it is normal behavior, as in a pack the weaker would be attacked to save resources or something like that. So, at night, Bobby is sleeping with me. Tried to make it Toto, but he falls off the bed and that is dangerous at this age. The bed is high enough so Bobby cannot get on his own, he needs help to get up.

Problem was the cats were sleeping with me already. So most of the cats moved out to the other bed, I set up a down comforter for them, so all OK. But Icon -my cat, my namesake- refused to give up her place by my pillow. There were some initial tense encounters, and so every time when Bobby made a lurch at the cat, I just bumped him out of the bed.

Hence Bobby has learned that if he wants to stay in the bed, he has to be kind to the cat. So far, there are a few hisses and growls if they even look at each other but the cold has managed to make them past enemies bed partners.

Evidence (sorry for the quality of the picture, but it was taken in the dark):

Bobby is the white fuzzy cloud on the left.

Update 2017

Relationships between the cats and dog remained really hostile until the new cat arrived. Having something to do with the fact that Bobby found her, they got along fabulously. It seemed that the positive attitude rubbed on the older cats, who realized the dog could be friendly to their kind. Hence, now they tolerate him better. Bobby also changed his attitude and does not chase them anymore nor bark or fight, and he is even making overtures to play with them, which of course are refuted. However, both sides are at their most amicable since… well, forever.

Nevertheless, last night when I got home from work, I discovered a toilet paper massacre. Someone got into the cupboad and the large TP package from Costco was the victim. I thought initially it could have been the cats but the slashes tell me Bobby might be the culprit. The package was on the bottom shelf, in the open, so dragging it was easy. Nevertheless, while the cats are destroyers or things, Bobby has never harmed any items at home. As said, it is quite curious as he is not stressed nor are there any more clashes at home.

1 Like

So, a cat started it, and Bobby was like, that’s the game we’re playing now? Cool, I can do that! :grinning:

1 Like

You mean it was a concerted effort of destruction between cats and the dog? Could be. Relations are not that good, but it is a distinct possibility.

Vet says he could be stressed for all the attention I am giving to the kittens… Sigh.

Actually I meant maybe he was just goofing around, not trying to be destructive. But I’m not his mama, so I’m just guessing. :idunno:

Oh, it was a massacre, I tell you. Not one sheet was left intact.

Maybe Bobby felt aggressive tendencies towards the kitties building up and decided to be a nice pooch and take them out on the toilet paper instead?

:eek: