Republicans allow ISPs to sell your private info

Republicans voted to roll back landmark FCC privacy rules.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/28/republicans-are-poised-to-roll-back-landmark-fcc-privacy-rules-heres-what-you-need-to-know/?utm_term=.55fae81519f5

Republicans and Trump supporters, please explain why you think this is a good thing.

Google metrics says Washington DC metro area most popular search term right now is “best free VPN”

:laughing:

VPN actually means nothing unless the VPN service deletes your data or they never save them.

VPN services can save your data and may turn this over to law enforcement if requested. Case in point.

just joking around brother…

Silly question here: since there are a lot of Internet service providers from US companies, does this mean this is rather a worldwide problem, as it could affect all users of such? Or just US citizens/residents in the US?

I would think if an American ISP operates in a foreign country, it is bound by local law.

Chris, I guess I’m what people would call a RINO. I registered Republican a long time ago after being a Democrat for a long time and then being of no affiliation for a while. I don’t remember why I became a Republican. Maybe I got mad about something . Anyway, if I get around to it, maybe I’ll change back to no affiliation.

I cannot tell you why the measure under discussion is a good thing, but I can tell you what I believe. I believe that Republicans tend to try to dress up a platform, or whatever they do, to give the impression that they want to help everybody. Then they help rich folks, the money interests. It’s my impression that they also favored money interests in their previous historical incarnations (Whigs, and before that, Federalists). So I figure this must have something to do with money.

Dang, Chris, you made me late for work. :slight_smile:

Edited, from work, to add: And you also made me once again break my vow, my vow to stay out of Irrational Parlor Tricks. Oh, well.

As privacy advocate, I think this change is a bad idea. On the other hand, I don’t think it’ll make much if any difference in the long run. There’s no such thing as privacy on the Internet, and there hasn’t been for a long time.

You have a point. The NSA already intercepts all communication in and out of the USA.