Retiring in Taiwan

Don’t they get an APRC that gives them access?

No they wouldn’t because it would be a different scheme just for retirees who are non nationals.There is no retiree visa now.

That’s odd. I’ve heard complaints about how Thai hospitals are “sick to bloody death” of uninsured elderly foreigners costing them money. Maybe they didn’t know what they were talking about, or maybe the policy has changed. :idunno:

Anyone with an ARC or APRC is supposed to be subject to NHI, so it seems they would need to change the law or never give participants in the scheme ARC’s/APRC’s. If you’re going to spend the rest of your life in Taiwan but can’t even have an ARC, won’t you feel a bit insecure?

Do what we do: money up front. They get tax deductibles aplenty. But all social spending like NHI similar scheme they pay full coverage. Not that I know of retirees using our social security hospitals. Private is affordable and better quality.

Yep private insurance isnt that expensive and would get a better service.

I am talking about a 4th world country that likes to emulate the clasist/racist policies of some Western countries and leaving some of teh weakest behind. Not Taiwan.

In Taiwan you have a plethora of choices for all budgets, even teh people who cannot pay. I am glad my taxes pay so that elderly feeble folk receive a bientang. I am glad the old homeless person gets 5000 ntd a month from the Government.

In Taiwan, we can have large income people living right confortably, side by side yes with those who can’t work anymore, everyone with food in their bellies and the right to legally live where they are. Freer market that allows people to choose and pick and pay what they want and can.

EDIT:
This is the kind of retirement life we can look forward to. Active. Social. Hope you can see the video.

Also on this rock for the long haul. My biggest concern, even for a strong introvert, is isolation. Maybe us long termers / lifers / retirees should hook up once in a while to play bingo. Or tai chi.

No way! I’m going to be doing triathlons and cycling events and open-water swimming events. I’ll be hitting the gym, too. I might even give BJJ a go. Feel free pm if you want to join another long-termer unwilling to go gentle into that good night. Ride up Xiwan Road this Saturday followed by an open-water swim (did it last Saturday and we loved it so much, we’re going to go again).

Do not go gentle into that good night
Dylan Thomas, 1914 - 1953

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

marasan, you are quite inspirational. Keep up the good vibes.

I know it may not be for everyone, but my Taiwanese wife and I will mostly likely retire in Hualien City. We will be taking the first step in our grand plan very soon by buying a small apartment there- very possibly by this summer. We are looking at the 3-4 million range which seems to be enough, especially since some negotiation is possible in today’s market.

To retire in Hualien? of course, it looks and sounds good…
but for me who is also planning to retire here as well
I am not going to survive many summers on the East coast

My plan is actually to get two places…
one for winter, anywhere, really anywhere on the island
the other one for summer, in a cooler place… mountains, hills, just cooler
with one more key word in that goal… community!

So before you invest, let’s talk and see how we can work together
welcoming others as well! ok?

Good for you Marasan.
I’d love to own a property in Taiwan. There’s not many places you can buy an apt here for 3 to 4 million right?

The in-laws have some land and property in MIaoli but they sold the best plot for a song , doh. But then again I would never retire in MIaoli , I would not pay a lot to construct a new home there and I don’t see myself retiring in Taiwan to be honest . Although I’m still here going on two decades almost…

One of the main reasons I don’t want to retire in Taiwan is the extreme heat in Summer . The other has been mentioned and it is the lack of other immigrants /Westerners and distance from Europe.

What Taiwan needs is a retirement town/international resident town. I don’t see any yet but maybe one day it will happen.

Anyways retirement is for rich people :joy:

We have a place now in New Taipei City. Who knows, maybe we won’t have to sell it eventually. Right now, I don’t see how that would work out financially, but again, who knows?! I know the East coast isn’t for everyone. When you’re old, you wake up early anyway before it’s too hot! Heck, I’m already doing that!

I would like to have an `ant house’ somewhere . But max I want to pay for everything is 1 million NTD. Would also be better if could rent out when not there.
I could put it behind the in laws but still seems a bit expensive when we have a free place to stay already …If they were near the beach id probably have done it already.

I feel there is potential to work together under some conditions of commitment and input

We own one house and one farm. (the farm is mentioned somewhere in the forum… it’s my cool place!) and we are willing to welcome people

As for the house, we are planning to move out to better fit my job opportunities

There is no hurry

A farm sounds cool would like to have one someday too, Do you have pics of your farm? How much does cost roughly to buy a farm in the south?

Amen to that!

Hualien is nice with coast and mountains but being top spot for typhoons is hard. I love Taitung but it really gets hellish hot.

I would have to look at the options regarding hospitals -bad health- vets -elderly pets- and then teh rest. For retirement health services and transportation facilities would be crucial -you do not see that many 80 year olds driving here, even scooters.