Rhubarb?

Has anybody every found rhubarb seedlings or seeds in Taiwan?

I’d like to try and grow some in my garden.

You may find a bit of help with these threads:

I don’t think rhubarb seeds and seedlings can be found in Taiwan. Frozen yes, but not cheap.

Rhubarb doesn’t grow here … I tried. I’m not sure if it’s the day length, average temperature, or lack of chill hours, but it never thrives. It germinates fine and produces a few leaves, then dies in the hot weather.

I’m going to give it another go in a climate-controlled environment. I’m in the UK at the moment so I could bring seeds if you’re interested. You might have more success than me.

Q: What water is the best for rhubarbs? A: Perspiration!

I found rhubarb here one time grown by a local farm. 300NT for a small bunch. But made a quite good strawberry rhubarb pie!

On Saturday mornings, outside the front door on their patio at Take Five, there was an older gentlemen selling organic vegetables. I bought rhubarb there. I like to buy kale there as well as other heirloom types.
Kind of hit or miss. https://goo.gl/maps/pdjifDcpaVP2

I’m in Taichung so not sure about the Taipei references but would love to see a picture next time you go. It would be cool if we could prove that Rhubarb can actually be grown here :slight_smile:

It was eaten before a photo could be taken. The young person selling the vegetables had no idea what it was in English or Chinese. I’d like to find a cheaper source for kale. I pay about $250 at Jason’s for box. The market guy was selling a giant bunch for $160 just not dependable and I gotta have my kale, apple, lemon, cucumber, celery juice every day. Spinach is what I’ve got today…

The Chinese name for it is 大黃,or “big yellow” iirc.

Really, they didn’t know what it was. The clerk had never seen it before. Yesterday, I was eating an expensive zucchini at lunch. My colleagues had never seen one.

Zucchini is 西葫蘆 but also difficult to grow here, just like rhubarb. They sell it at my local farmers market sometimes.

I always see it referred to as 櫛瓜.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it yet at the farmer’s markets but I also haven’t been there enough. Mine was a $100NT one from Jason’s. Taiwan grown, so they are here somewhere. Gotta have them for zucchini zoodles and sun-dried tomato sauce.

Bought some small yellow zucchinis a while ago, 10-20 NT$/piece

Where!?

Not going to tell you! :wink:

I personally don’t know, but I know we buy from and old woman that grows it in her veggie garden.

Nooooooo!!!

I want pictures to prove the zucchinis are real.

yellow-zucchini-250x250

See, yellow.