Rights for English Teachers

This is a very interesting and worthwhile topic. I agree that the degree or certificate does not make the teacher. Please understand that I am not in Taiwan teaching yet, but one day soon, I hope to be there and I hope for a good job too. I am tired of school boards, legislators and the current President imposing rules to follow and hoops to jump through that seemingly have nothing to do with my teaching or what my students learn. Some people who have great packages and certificates make horrible teachers and vice versa, so I understand the frustration with ESL and TESOl programs. However, if you are talking about organizing a committee to discuss and hopefully advance the rights of foreign teachers in Taiwan, then maybe you should be prepared to treat teaching more like a profession.

While you lose some ground with having to jump the dreaded political hoops,what you gain is the ability to say, “Look, we are professionals here, you expect us to do a good job so as professionals please respect our needs and help us aquire what we need to be successful.”(example, good contract)

This committee also sounds borderline union so what it comes down to is politics. If you want to play that game then it is my opinion that if you ask for something better,you are prepared to say why. I’m sure for many schools this is purely business and “good teacher contracts” may not be financially important to them. Although, I do believe better contracts make better teachers and better schools. If you want something better, what are you willing to give for it? I am glad to be able to say I’m a professional and have a certificate because when the school board tries to make other unreasonable requests of me or any other teacher, I have credibility to argue, reguardless of the fact that the certificate doesn’t mean squat in the classroom.

For all those teaching. I wish everyone luck, and hope for better conditions. I’m eager to join you.
Oh, one more thing, for every teaching job that I have taken I was required to complete a health and drug exam, including testing for TB and hepatitis(sp?) Maybe it isn’t about discrimination, I really don’t know though.Good Luck!

Dionne