Road Bike Accessories

The U-joint wraps around close the bars the extend forward, even when I loosen the thing all the way. I wouldn’t be able to slide the bars back with tape on them.

As far as my hands, I don’t really grasp the bars unless I’m going over a bump or unless I need to turn suddenly. I just rest them lightly on the portions that are angled upwardly. Most of my weight is on the elbow supports.

No right or wrong way. Was just concerned about your safety!

The only reason I put heavy ass/thick/tacky bar tape on mine is because I am afraid I’ll slip one day.

1 Like

Haha, I’ve had that problem too (having to look up my bike’s model name on the web), but I can finally name it :smiley: (after many kms! )

May be you want to post a picture of your aluminium horse, there’s a specific thread for that :smiley:

Normally, for second hand stuff, I like to buy from friends. This way I know what the parts have gone through. The C24 wheels and 9000 group set (minus the crank set) were bought from a friend. Crank set, saddle and pedals were all bought on second hand FB groups.

Ruten is the second hand or business 2 consumer website. However, it’s a pain in the ass to sign up/buy/sell. I would use it as a reference for price matching.

There’s one major second hand FB group that people post some very legitimate components. Check this FB group “2017 你 愛 他 全新 二手 商品交易平台”. This is where I bought my crank set and saddle. Your FB profile pic has to be cycling related to get in. A fair warning, admins are pretty strict on the rules, make sure you read them or have someone translate them for you before buying/selling.

The group is a buyers market. Sucks to be a seller, but it’s a good way to get rid of higher end components if you don’t want them sitting around. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. I’ll be happy to chat about it.

Thanks for that, have sent a request after changing my FB pic and will have a look. You’re right though, the dude’s written an entire thesis on how to set rules for a Facebook group…

I don’t know how base pricing ultimately works, but when the AUD was strong against NTD, I would say things are cheaper here. But now that the AUD has fallen a fair bit, almost everything is more expensive in Taiwan. Even if we take RRP out of the equation though and assume they are exactly the same after currency exchange, in Australia for a non-custom bike, you can realistically get 18-20% off the price in the form of cash, not vouchers or credit.

The only thing I’ve found cheaper in Taiwan thus far is the Shimano DA rubber brake hoods, but even then I had another shop quote me a price twice as expensive!

This really really varies by shop, but make sure you know what you’re buying.

The price difference is most likely the difference with or without warranty. Check this out…

No warranty: 16,000NT
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21305225620211

Shimano Warranty: 27,000NT
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21407111353558

One quote was from Giant next to work, the other from Jesler. I assume both are pretty reputable.

But alas, this literally is just for the rubber hood, not the shifter itself, so warranty not required :).

Exactly. Same component, but hundreds maybe even thousands of NT in difference.

I’m curious if that rubber hood has warranty…

Doubtful. the DA9070 rubber hood has to be the most fragile POS I’ve ever touched. putting it on/unscrewing the clamp will generally stretch it so it no longer fits on the shifters properly, and a strong pull will rip it. Quite documented on the internets now and I’ve had the exact same experience via shops and installs myself. :triumph:

Guys, anyone have any suggestions for GoPro + Garmin 2 in 1 mounts?

On my other bike, I use the Gearoop one (pictured below) and it’s awesome despite it being held on by a single bolt into the stem.

Any thoughts?

I like symmetry, and use a Fouriers on my road bike, which has a Go-Pro mount underneath.
It comes including 3 adapter plates for different brands.
Paid some Ntd. 650 delivered from yahoo.tw.

I also made a DIY version for my mountain bike.

I use a K-edge mount…

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-tw/k-edge-combo-out-front-mount-for-garmin-and-gopro-camera-EV275456

There’s 2 sizes, depending on what Garmin you’re using. It does the job, although there’s not much room to access the start and lap buttons if you’ve got a 520.

I also use k-edge, bought in preparation for the GoPro that I never did buy… oops.

Thanks for your input guys. The K-edge is something I considered when I bought my Gearoop, but damn that thing is expensive.

I’m curious as to what your DIY mount comprises of. Could you share more?

[quote=“ranlee, post:244, topic:83077, full:true”]I’m curious as to what your DIY mount comprises of. Could you share more?
[/quote]
I made this one as a simple try-out from a 10NT clamp, basically to check if swapping the Bryton between bikes made sense.
Used a longer bolt, a bushing, the spare Bryton adapter, and some small Allen bolts to fix things up.
It is sturdy, and works rather fine, so one day I will replicate the mount in a bit more attractive design, probably in a 3D print.

1 Like

Just sent that to GCN for their hack feature. Very neat and tidy

And you’ll be sure to share that bidon you get as a result, wont you, Young Male Horse?

1 Like

Hack…forward slash…bodge!

Don’t think they give 'em away for H/Bs. But, if they do… as long as I get first mouthful. :wink: