Road bike rental in Taipei?

Hi guys,

I have been trying to find out about road bike rental possibilities in Taipei on the internet, but without success. Hence my message in this topic.

Do any of you know places in Taipei where I could rent a road bike for a trip of 10-12 days in Taiwan? If yes what are the addresses and what kind of road bikes do they have?

Best,
Julien

Thereā€™s only a few places in Taipei that rent out road bikes.

At the corner of Minsheng and Huan He, thereā€™s 2 stores that rent out road bikes. The Buffalo Store and the Giant store both rent out road bikes.

You can also head all the way up to the Giant in Bali to rent road bikes there too.

Rates are 1000NT a day from Buffalo. I assume if you plan on renting for that many days, you can try to strike a deal with them.

Not sure aboutr the other stores.

Thanks a lot Ranlee for the info!!! I am looking forward to do my first bike rides in Taiwan in September!!!

Cheers,
Julien

[quote=ā€œJulien.grunfelderā€]Thanks a lot Ranlee for the info!!! I am looking forward to do my first bike rides in Taiwan in September!!!

Cheers,
Julien[/quote]

Youā€™re very welcome.

If youā€™d like to join us feel free to send me a PM. We ride every Saturday and sometimes week day nights.

[quote=ā€œranleeā€]Thereā€™s only a few places in Taipei that rent out road bikes.

At the corner of Minsheng and Huan He, thereā€™s 2 stores that rent out road bikes. The Buffalo Store and the Giant store both rent out road bikes.

You can also head all the way up to the Giant in Bali to rent road bikes there too.

Rates are 1000NT a day from Buffalo. I assume if you plan on renting for that many days, you can try to strike a deal with them.

Not sure aboutr the other stores.[/quote]

Great Ranlee! Do you have the googlemaps location on the Buffalo and Giant store? Cant find them :frowning:

[quote=ā€œdinvenandersā€][quote=ā€œranleeā€]Thereā€™s only a few places in Taipei that rent out road bikes.

Great Ranlee! Do you have the googlemaps location on the Buffalo and Giant store? Cant find them :frowning:[/quote]

Check your PM. I messaged you!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No.+428,+Minsheng+W+Rd,+Datong+District,+Taipei+City,+Taiwan+103/@25.0569046,121.5097215,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3442a91420324dd5:0x4e7bfd85a0752015

[quote=ā€œranleeā€][quote=ā€œdinvenandersā€][quote=ā€œranleeā€]Thereā€™s only a few places in Taipei that rent out road bikes.

Great Ranlee! Do you have the googlemaps location on the Buffalo and Giant store? Cant find them :frowning:[/quote]

Check your PM. I messaged you!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No.+428,+Minsheng+W+Rd,+Datong+District,+Taipei+City,+Taiwan+103/@25.0569046,121.5097215,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3442a91420324dd5:0x4e7bfd85a0752015[/quote]

Perfect! Thanks!

Hey guys, did you go through with the rental? Any details on what bikes were available? I am thinking of doing the same also, will be making a couple of trips to Taipei over the next year and would love do some cycling.

On behalf of JC, hereā€™s what we learned from the experience. JC got a road bike from the Giant shop over near the Da Dao Cheng Wharf Riverside exit. The bike came with two bottle cages, so come prepared with other necessary accessories you may need. JC paid 1000NT for a full 24hours with the bike and called the shop about 1-2 weeks in advance (Picked up 9PM Friday, dropped off before 9PM on Saturday evening.) The bike was an old Pinnarello (I think it was a 52cm or 54cm frame) with an old 105 group set on it. A bike that was previously rented from another member of the forum was a new (2014-2015) Giant TCR1 with Tiagra group set.

From his experience, we learned that you do have the option to not rent the bike the employees initially bring out to you. If you see anything wrong with it, tell them. What happened was the initial bike that they brought out for JC had some issues that he noticed from the get go and they brought out another one for him.

[quote=ā€œranleeā€]
On behalf of JC, hereā€™s what we learned from the experience. JC got a road bike from the Giant shop over near the Da Dao Cheng Wharf Riverside exit. The bike came with two bottle cages, so come prepared with other necessary accessories you may need. JC paid 1000NT for a full 24hours with the bike and called the shop about 1-2 weeks in advance (Picked up 9PM Friday, dropped off before 9PM on Saturday evening.) The bike was an old Pinnarello (I think it was a 52cm or 54cm frame) with an old 105 group set on it. A bike that was previously rented from another member of the forum was a new (2014-2015) Giant TCR1 with Tiagra group set.

From his experience, we learned that you do have the option to not rent the bike the employees initially bring out to you. If you see anything wrong with it, tell them. What happened was the initial bike that they brought out for JC had some issues that he noticed from the get go and they brought out another one for him.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply ranlee, very belpful! I wouldnā€™t mind paying extra for a higher end bike to be honest but Iā€™ll keep it all in mind, cheers.

Hi all,

I just learned from a colleague that the Giant shop in Guishan rents out road bikes for about 700NT per 24hrs. I donā€™t know the exact detailsā€¦ Guess someone will have to find that out, but I just thought Iā€™d post the info here.

This is the shop in question:
ę·å®‰ē‰¹ ē™¾å®¢åØä¼ę„­ē¤¾
No. 63, Wenhua 2nd Rd, Guishan District, Taoyuan City, Taiwan 333

Donā€™t mention it. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want someone to ride with or show you around.

From what previous people have told me, prices on renting road bikes are all pretty set in stone(at 1000NT for 24 hours). Donā€™t let them swindle you in paying more for a better bike!

Just keep in mind that the bike probably wonā€™t be in the best condition. From what JC said, when he received the bike, it was very dirty and a lot of the components seemed like they were not very well taken care of. When he brought it home he said he had to clean it. He didnā€™t have many problems when out on the road, but itā€™s possible because he maintenanced it before riding out.

[quote=ā€œranleeā€]Donā€™t mention it. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want someone to ride with or show you around.

From what previous people have told me, prices on renting road bikes are all pretty set in stone(at 1000NT for 24 hours). Donā€™t let them swindle you in paying more for a better bike!

Just keep in mind that the bike probably wonā€™t be in the best condition. From what JC said, when he received the bike, it was very dirty and a lot of the components seemed like they were not very well taken care of. When he brought it home he said he had to clean it. He didnā€™t have many problems when out on the road, but itā€™s possible because he maintenanced it before riding out.[/quote]

Definitely will take you up on that offer next year sometime mate. Iā€™m out of form at the moment recovering for a prolonged holiday and injury, and Iā€™ve seen the vertical kā€™s you guys do lol. You guys are way above my league at the moment.

Donā€™t worry, Iā€™m keen for any kind of ride and do not mind routes that are better suited for you. Iā€™ve been on a few rides where I could not keep up and it just was not enjoyable, so I wouldnā€™t force that upon someone. So, do not feel obligated to have to train hard to come and do the rides Iā€™ve been posting on the other thread. A lot of those rides you see are for race prep. After next weekend, a lot of the rides will be much more leisure and social.

To me, riding isnā€™t always about training hard and pushing myself to the limit. Social riding and meeting new people are a few of the best things about cycling.

Good luck with the rental and looking forward to meeting you.

Just signed up to say thanks, I was looking for exactly this kind of information. Iā€™m going to be in Taipei for most of April, and Iā€™d like to ride up Yangmingshan a few times if I can rent an appropriate bike somewhere. Iā€™ve emailed the Giant store on Chengde Rd in Beitou to see if they rent out road bikes, havenā€™t heard back yet but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find something. Riding in a tropical climate will be a new experience for me!

Ranlee, are you on Strava? Iā€™d like to check out your routes and maybe ride with your group. Hereā€™s mine:

strava.com/athletes/5880115

[quote=ā€œsmpnā€]Just signed up to say thanks, I was looking for exactly this kind of information. Iā€™m going to be in Taipei for most of April, and Iā€™d like to ride up Yangming Shan a few times if I can rent an appropriate bike somewhere. Iā€™ve emailed the Giant store on Chengde Rd in Beitou to see if they rent out road bikes, havenā€™t heard back yet but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find something. Riding in a tropical climate will be a new experience for me!

Ranlee, are you on Strava? Iā€™d like to check out your routes and maybe ride with your group. Hereā€™s mine:

strava.com/athletes/5880115[/quote]

smpn, welcome! Yes, Iā€™m on Strava, if you head over to the other thread, youā€™ll find all the info you need to join one of our rides! Weather in April-May in northern Taiwan is the best time of the year to ride. Youā€™re going to love it!
[url]Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2016 (Taipei/New Taipei)

Iā€™ve also found out that the Specialized flagship store in Da Zhi also rents out road bikes. However, no one that I know has gone through the process. I can only assume that specialized rentals come at a premium price.
https://www.facebook.com/specializedtaipei/?fref=ts

Some new and good info in this blog post: formosaguy.blogspot.tw/2008/05/l ā€¦ e.html?m=1

Itā€™s an old post (from 2008), but I can say that the Nanjing Giant shop (In Taipei) does rent out those touring bikes!

Found out a few weeks ago that Specialized Taipei does rentals. I have not gone through the process myself, but a store employee shared the info on a FB group Iā€™m part of.

Hereā€™s their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/specializedtaipei/

You can rent bikes here at Tripercise.com
Many pick-up locations you can choose from.