Robot Dating

While the sex cartel and divorce industry won’t take this lying down just imagine how much simpler and cheaper life for the average man will be once robot “dating” takes hold:

[quote] Last fall, sex robots produced by U.S. company True Companion made headlines. What the company claims is the “world’s first sex robot” is a life-size humanoid female robot and is sold on its website for $6,995. Customers can choose from different personalities, such as “outgoing” and “reserved.” A male version will soon be available for the same price, according to the company’s website.

Although little is known about the company itself or the sex robots' sales, it has provoked considerable opposition across borders.

Sex robots will create more sexual desires, warned Kathleen Richardson, a researcher at De Montfort University in the U.K. who specializes in ethics of robotics. She launched a campaign website and calls on people around the world to join her in opposing the development of sex robots. She said that "the development of sex robots will further" (the sexual emancipation of men and fatally weaken the sex cartel).[/quote]

Is there a solution for the BDSM crowd yet? I mean the thing lies there stoically and takes it all without even the slightest whimper. Boring, eh?

Dialing up the histrionics would just be a matter of a software update. No release forms. No costly lawsuits filed by disgruntled submissives. Just some imaginative software programming.

You know, I thought this thread would be about computerized matchmaking. Maybe change the title to “robot rape”?

Since robots can’t give consent that’s undoubtedly the core argument behind the movement to criminalize sex with robots. A logical corollary would be criminalizing masturbation since the object of one’s fantasies can’t give consent either.

Carry on.

Sex with robots IS masturbation–unless we make a lot of progress in AI, in which case, robot rape.

(Beedee beedee beedee…Buck!)
(Master Luke, I must protest…!)
(Don’t do this to me, Dave…Daisy, Daisy…)

[quote=“Zla’od”]Sex with robots IS masturbation–unless we make a lot of progress in AI, in which case, robot rape.

(Beedee beedee beedee…Buck!)
(Master Luke, I must protest…!)
(Don’t do this to me, Dave…Daisy, Daisy…)[/quote]

Smart vibrators opens up another whole can of worms but something tells me they’ll give vibrators a pass when they’re deciding which sex machines to outlaw.

There is this very inyteresting science fiction short story that touches on the issue of robots for sex. In the future, each person is assigned a sex robot, tuned to your mental waves and hence to your will. Such mental waves are also used to control stuff around you, such as walls in your house that melt away for you to go though but only for you. Well, this guy he starts feeling jeaoulous and possesive towards his robot. You see, in the future, people do not have sex with other people anymore, only with robots. he starts seeing a shrink for his “weaknes” and when the good doctor suggests him to loan him his robot, the patient guy gives her to him… with a chastity belt. Doctor tells him he is ready for “another level”. Furthermore, our hero encounters the problem that he has a neighbor that can open his house walls. Eventually, he finds out his robot has been sleeping with his neigbor. Lucky for him, in the meantime, he befriends and beds another human, whose robot was sent for repairs and then when he came back, could not satisfy her -not physically, but, you know, emotionally. He feels the same and throws his robot away to the other guy… with the chastity belt on but no key.

VR would be the next BIG thing !! which is already adopted by many adult industry.

What on earth is the sex cartel?

I expected a cautionary tale, of a search for love in a engineering department or something. Recently I read a court in Germany upheld the nation’s anti-bestiality law, in response to a pro-bestiality challenge, partly to protect animals from sexual abuse.

Bestiality really gets my goat.

Unlike the robots.

Can you imagine actually standing in front of a judge and arguing your case for that? Or convincing a lawyer to do it for you?

Anyway, I don’t see how you could outlaw sex with robots. For one thing it isn’t technically sex. For another you’d have to define what a sex robot is. At best you’d end up with an “I know it when I see it” law, like obscenity. And if you made it legal subject to certain conditions, it gets even worse; how would you decide if the robot is over 18?

Sex with aliens, now. That’s a whole different ball game.

Probably some countries might require introduction of goat robots.

The sex cartel is like the anti-Uber guild but instead of protecting the market for transportation it protects the market for sex by attempting to discourage or outlaw activities which lower the market value of sex.

[quote]There would seem to be, indeed, but small respect among women for virginity per se. They are against the woman who has got rid of hers outside marriage, not because they think she has lost anything intrinsically valuable, but because she has made a bad bargain… and hence one against the general advantage and well-being of the sex. In other words, it is a guild resentment that they feel, not a moral resentment.[/quote]- HL Mencken, In Defence of Women 1922

not exactly related, but here’s two robots chatting… they could be dating, but instead they each decided to be an ass. I wonder if Cornell researchers used internet forums as training data…

[quote=“hansioux”]not exactly related, but here’s two robots chatting… they could be dating, but instead they each decided to be an ass. I wonder if Cornell researchers used internet forums as training data…

[/quote]

Haha!

And the accents! :bravo:

Look at the bright side. If your human mate is an ass he/she will never change but if your robomate is an ass all you have to do is download a new personality. On the other hand, we’ll know the end of humanity is near when even jobs in the oldest profession are being lost to automation.

remember Futurama and remember robosexualism, not good, people, not good.

I think it’s great- if these robots can satisfy a lot of lonely people, wonderful. Especially wonderful in cases where the sex robots satisfy the kind of people who see lovers as objects and don’t have any concern for their well-being. I think a lot of people won’t be fully satisfied by the sex robots, so there’ll still be a “market” for sex between humans. It also might solve some problems for partnerships with a disparity in sex drive. And it would likely reduce human trafficking and rape.

Win win win, I say.

Hope they bring the costs down though, because a lot of those benefits will be lost if the price is prohibitive.