Rosso go-karting in Taichung

Not sure whether this is the right forum for this post.

Three of us went to this go-kart track up on Dadushan in western Taichung today. It was very good fun.

The rental karts are 270cc ones made by Bowman in the UK. Most rental karts in the west are around 150cc I think. They’re pretty torquey, only have a brake on the rear wheels, and the steering’s quite high-geared as well, so it’s easy to end up going sideways or spinning. Most of my skidding was quickly brought under control, unlike somebody I saw spinning 180 degrees. It’s exhilarating hanging onto the steering, right on the limits of tyre adhesion, pushed sideways in your seat by what must be a couple of Gs of cornering force. It’s also tiring – after two 15-minute sessions my arms were aching. Sessions are 300NT each which may seem a lot but actually you get 15 intense, fun-filled minutes for that. Tickets are sold in the cafe on the second floor of the building, which has some nice outdoor seats from which you can see all the action.

Rosso, the boss is very friendly and gives you a little safety and technique talk before you go out the first time. His English is pretty good and if you want to talk racing lines etc. with him he’s very happy to oblige. He encourages you to take it easy and get used to the kart and track for the first few laps. He says that for most people, NOT skidding at corners will be faster. Sliding is an inefficient way of braking or accelerating – the only thing it can be good for is helping you change direction quickly at the beginning of a turn.

From time to time Rosso’s son, who looks about 12 years old, and somebody else – maybe his friend – have a private session on the track. This is necessary because they drive 100cc 2-stroke 20hp pro racing karts – very fast. It’s great to watch them going round and they have a high level of technique. They always wear full racing suits so they’re safe. Lucky boy! My 12-year-old students would be so jealous.

Regarding safety in general – the standard seems reasonable although not quite as paranoid as in other countries where they sometimes have remote control to slow karts down, and where you can be stopped for even touching another kart. They loan you a perfectly respectable full-face motorbike helmet – an M2R – and if you want to wear additional protective clothing that’s up to you. If you do drive too dangerously they will pull you over to the side for a lecture – this happened to a couple of guys who had been overtaking aggressively. There are tyre walls, and it’s very unlikely that your kart would flip over as they slide so readily.

Having said this, I think that going karting here might not be so great if you’re a very timid driver, unless you went at a quiet time or took a few of your like-minded friends and tried to get the track to yourselves for a round. People do go round quite fast and if you just want to toddle around it’s probably not nice being overtaken all the time.

To get there go out of town on Wuchuan West (Wuchuan Xi) Road. Go under the highway and carry on up the hill to where the industrial units start. You will come to a roundabout (traffic circle), with a petrol station across from you. You take the left fork and carry on up. Pass another petrol station on your right, and shortly afterwards the road will fork. The wide road bears right: you don’t take this but instead continue straight on up the hill on a much narrower road. After a little while the road widens and you should see a Maxxi tyre company factory on the left. The entrance for the go-kart place is just before the tyre company.

Their phone number is 04-2358-1056
They’re open 10am-10pm – don’t know if that’s every day.
Their website is rosso.com.tw

We have a similar setup in Lungtan…

But, we can rent the high-perfomance 100cc two strokes…Wicked fast and 800NT for 15 minutes. Expensive but serious fun!

Will post contact info/directions if anyone is interested.

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]We have a similar setup in Lungtan…

But, we can rent the high-perfomance 100cc two strokes…Wicked fast and 800NT for 15 minutes. Expensive but serious fun!

Will post contact info/directions if anyone is interested.[/quote]

information please!

I’ll be doing some 4 wheeling around there in the morning…I’ll grab numbers and post back in the early afternoon.

There are a group of German guys that are so hardcore that they’ve rented garage space! They all own their own carts and are down there pretty much every weekend.

The top speed on some of these karts is over 140KM. :smiling_imp: :lovestruck:

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]We have a similar setup in Lungtan…

Will post contact info/directions if anyone is interested.[/quote]I think I need to practise quite a few times on the four strokes before I could make a good job on the two strokes. Still, if you can post the details I’ll save them for use later. Cheers!

I’m going to resurrect this old thread because I’ve been meaning to check this place out for ages. It looks like a really cool track. I was planning on heading out this weekend - anyone else??

PS: can someone please move this thread to Cars & Motorcycles? :slight_smile:

sounds like fun. the train gets there pretty quickly from taipei, right? maybe an hour or so?

The HSR takes 90 minutes, coach/train maybe 2 1/2 hours. Then you have to add on maybe 45 mins for a taxi ride up to the track (it’s out of the city for obvious reasons). If you were coming from Taipei just for karting then you’d be better off at the Zhunan track. It’s a lot closer and they have more karts.

[quote=“llary”]The HSR takes 90 minutes, coach/train maybe 2 1/2 hours. Then you have to add on maybe 45 mins for a taxi ride up to the track (it’s out of the city for obvious reasons).[/quote]HSR Taipei-Taichung is less than an hour. Then I’d say a 15 minute taxi ride from the HSR station in Wuri up to the track on Dadushan. So a total of around 70 mins if you do it that way.

Would this be it?

We are heading to Taichung this weekend, might stop by and check it out.

D’oh, I was thinking of Taipei-Tainan for some reason.

If you’re definitely going then let us know and maybe we can all meet up at the same time. These tracks are no fun without a largeish group together.

Going to try and get there early on Sunday afternoon, the GPS is all programmed up with the track location and ready to roll so no getting lost.
Next I just need to tell the Mrs there will be a slight change to our holiday plans…

there is another great racing track at Chia-Yi…
it’a about 940M long…and the straight line is round 130m…
pretty exciting track tho it’s quite bumppy…

i think there will hold a race at the end of this month!! :smiley:
come and visit if you can…

the track

more info’s here
erc-kart.com.tw/

Hey Forumosians,

i wonder if somebody like to drive go-karting on rossos track on weekends.

Greeting,

Denis Theinert

Mobile: 09-10833134

Languages: English/German/little chinese :smiley:

Denis Theinert? And all this time I thought it was Denis The Inert. I liked it – had a bit of a Monty Python vibe to it. :laughing: