Sailing in Taiwan

would love to hear that sailing becomes popular in Taiwan… could start with a local manufacturer of sailing Dinghies…

From what I can gather. There are probably 50 keeled sailboats lying in various ports in Taiwan. It’s a small, but a growing community. There are about three regattas per year in Taiwan that are more for purposes of socializing than competition. I’ve ordered a 29 footer from a local manufacturer here due to be delivered in Jan/2014. I’m a novice sailor - getting the boat first and then learning to sail it along the way.

If anyone here who’s an experienced sailor and has raced or done blue water passages in the past, feel free to send me a PM. I’m planning on joining a race from Keelung to Ishigaki in Apr/May 2014. Possibly cruise around Okinawa afterwards for a couple of weeks before coming back.

This will be a small boat compared to other ones in the local fleet racing scene. However, from what I understand, under the TWPN handicap, it’ll still be competitive, as well as being a safe vessel for the mentioned passages.

Congratulations! Which yard and what boat? Where do you plan to keep her?

PM if you’d like to avoid over-exposure.

Thanks in advance. I’ll feel more happy when it’s finally completed, passed the registration process, and berthed in a dock come next Jan. Keeping the fingers crossed about their building progress…

It’s a Corum 280CR made by Corum Yachts Taiwan corumyachts.com
The boat itself is designed in Argentina corumyachts.com.ar

There are other very nice sail boats made in Taiwan, too: e.g., Tayana.

Also a 34-footer in stock selling on ruten.com.tw for quite some time now from HMM.

For imports, there are a few brands that have authorized dealers in Taiwan that I’m aware of: Benneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter, Nautor Swan, Seaward/Hake, Lagoon, J-Boats, and Macgregor (if that qualifies as “sailboat”) etc.

However, those are at a price range that’s a bit beyond my means (for a new boat). There are also second-hand boats that are, but I don’t want to deal with maintenance/refitting issues when starting out, so I picked something that’s relatively affordable.

Anyway, I bumped into this forum and thread when doing some googling while looking for a crew or partner or mentor. The complaints from a few years ago about the lack of infrastructure, boats, and headaches about the regulations are to some degree still there. However, I think things have improved a great deal since that time. So I thought I’d contribute more updated info here. Also hope that I’ll hear from someone with good sailing resume to get hooked up with here!

If anyone is looking for competitive sailing on a keel boat. You can check-out Corum’s Soto 27 OD circuit. They’ve already competed in several regatta in Taiwan and China this year. It looks like they’re doing reasonably well with the promotions and future organized events in this class will continue to be held. The competition level is also quite high with ex-Olympic medalist participations. There’s a regatta to be held in Port Tamshui next Jan with teams from China, Japan, and Russia. They’re still open to entries from teams in Taiwan. (Not me at that time though - will still to be too green :slight_smile:

[quote=“samurai”]Thanks in advance. I’ll feel more happy when it’s finally completed, passed the registration process, and berthed in a dock come next Jan. Keeping the fingers crossed about their building progress…

Also a 34-footer in stock selling on ruten.com.tw for quite some time now from HMM.

For imports, there are a few brands that have authorized dealers in Taiwan that I’m aware of: Benneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter, Nautor Swan, Seaward/Hake, Lagoon, J-Boats, and Macgregor (if that qualifies as “sailboat”) etc.

However, those are at a price range that’s a bit beyond my means (for a new boat). There are also second-hand boats that are, but I don’t want to deal with maintenance/refitting issues when starting out, so I picked something that’s relatively affordable.

Anyway, I bumped into this forum and thread when doing some googling while looking for a crew or partner or mentor. The complaints from a few years ago about the lack of infrastructure, boats, and headaches about the regulations are to some degree still there. However, I think things have improved a great deal since that time. So I thought I’d contribute more updated info here. Also hope that I’ll hear from someone with good sailing resume to get hooked up with here!

If anyone is looking for competitive sailing on a keel boat. You can check-out Corum’s Soto 27 OD circuit. They’ve already competed in several regatta in Taiwan and China this year. It looks like they’re doing reasonably well with the promotions and future organized events in this class will continue to be held. The competition level is also quite high with ex-Olympic medalist participations. There’s a regatta to be held in Port Danshui next Jan with teams from China, Japan, and Russia. They’re still open to entries from teams in Taiwan. (Not me at that time though - will still to be too green :slight_smile:[/quote]

Looks nice! I keep a 38’ Wauquiez in the US that I cruise with my family and previously I’ve owned an SB20 in Singapore and a WETA dinghy in Shanghai. I mostly sail other people’s boats now in HKG. Being able to actually own something in Taiwan is really interesting, but these are really rough waters, especially in the Winter, and currents run hard all year; it’s not really for the feint hearted or unprepared.

[quote=“samurai”]Thanks in advance. I’ll feel more happy when it’s finally completed, passed the registration process, and berthed in a dock come next Jan. Keeping the fingers crossed about their building progress…

If anyone is looking for competitive sailing on a keel boat. You can check-out Corum’s Soto 27 OD circuit. They’ve already competed in several regatta in Taiwan and China this year. It looks like they’re doing reasonably well with the promotions and future organized events in this class will continue to be held. The competition level is also quite high with ex-Olympic medalist participations. There’s a regatta to be held in Port Danshui next Jan with teams from China, Japan, and Russia. They’re still open to entries from teams in Taiwan. (Not me at that time though - will still to be too green :slight_smile:[/quote]

Looks nice! Big t-bulb it should move pretty smartly.

I keep a 38’ Wauquiez in the US that I cruise with my family and previously I’ve owned an SB20 in Singapore and a WETA dinghy in Shanghai. I mostly sail other people’s boats now in HKG. Being able to actually own something in Taiwan is really interesting, but these are really rough waters, especially in the Winter, and currents run hard all year; it’s not really for the feint hearted or unprepared.

Oh lucky you. Hong Kong is much much more developed in that regard. Hope that Taiwan can catch up one day. I think it’ll still take decades if the authorities here don’t remove some remaining obstacles and build more infrastructure. Culture is also a big issue, I think. Somehow most Taiwanese people have great fear of the sea. That’s evident if one counts the number of people on a beach just wetting their feet or snapping photos with smartphones as opposed to actually being in the water swimming.

I’ve heard about boat owners getting frustrated with with importing and registering boats in previous years. As well as getting a slip (competing for space with fishing boats). This is what I know from the current situation after yachting laws got passed last year as well as with completion of a couple of new marinas:

• Flagging boat with Taiwan nationality is possible only with citizenship.
  • Taiwan-flagged boats need “small power boat operator’s license” (applies to sailboats) to operate. Passing the test is easy though…
  • Boats over NT$ 3M needs to pay luxury tax. (depraved…)
  • Foreign flagged boats are “theoretically” only allowed to be berthed in commercial ports (i.e., Keelung, Taichung, Hualien, Kaohsiung, Houbihou), but I think in practice, the authority allows them to be berthed in ports that other Taiwanese boats can get into. Which opens up a lot more options.
  • Several marinas are now designated for yachts so won’t need to be next to smelly fishing boats. Best one so far is in Port Wushih (I-Lan) just completed this summer with running water, shore power and is gated for very good privacy.

I’ve heard a few owners flagged their boats in another country but are still able to keep them docked locally. Only hassle is to move the boat every 3-4 months (to International water and back?). The “marina” fees are modest ~ NT$75/foot/month.

In my experience… Currently going through that but the yard is handling it, and they says it’s no big deal - nowadays can get approval for boat reg. within a week for domestically made or 2-4 weeks for imports.

Oh yes… the Kuroshio current and winter NE winds can create quite rough conditions in most north/east/west parts of Taiwan. That’s why in winter it’s best to keep boats in the south (which I plan to do). Trips from Kaohsiung to Little Liuqiu island (off Pingtung) should still be pleasant even on a normal winter day.

Well done . I still presumed it was almost impossible to own a Private boat here. Is it possible for us landlubbers to buy a Motor Cruiser (as in a Sunseeker) or just sailing Boats?
Wonder if you can buy/operate a Helicopter yet? :ponder:

Don’t know about aviation… Marine regulations has been greatly relaxed though. The new laws are specified for power boats (sailing boats are classified as power boats in Taiwan). I think it applies to boats under 24 meters & 20 displacement tonnes. Above that, different (tougher) regulations are applied.

Sure it’s very possible. You can buy/own/operate (even commercially) with much ease now. Harbor infrastructure is still coming up to speed, but the newly constructed ones are quite good.

[quote=“samurai”]Oh lucky you. Hong Kong is much much more developed in that regard. Hope that Taiwan can catch up one day. I think it’ll still take decades if the authorities here don’t remove some remaining obstacles and build more infrastructure. Culture is also a big issue, I think. Somehow most Taiwanese people have great fear of the sea. That’s evident if one counts the number of people on a beach just wetting their feet or snapping photos with smartphones as opposed to actually being in the water swimming.

I’ve heard about boat owners getting frustrated with with importing and registering boats in previous years. As well as getting a slip (competing for space with fishing boats). This is what I know from the current situation after yachting laws got passed last year as well as with completion of a couple of new marinas:

• Taiwan-flagged boats need “small power boat operator’s license” (applies to sailboats) to operate. Passing the test is easy though…
  • Foreign flagged boats are “theoretically” only allowed to be berthed in commercial ports (i.e., Keelung (Jilong), Taichung, Hualian, Kaohsiung, Houbihou), but I think in practice, the authority allows them to be berthed in ports that other Taiwanese boats can get into. Which opens up a lot more options.
  • Several marinas are now designated for yachts so won’t need to be next to smelly fishing boats. Best one so far is in Port Wushih (Yilan) just completed this summer with running water, shore power and is gated for very good privacy.

I’ve heard a few owners flagged their boats in another country but are still able to keep them docked locally. Only hassle is to move the boat every 3-4 months (to International water and back?). The “marina” fees are modest ~ NT$75/foot/month.

In my experience… Currently going through that but the yard is handling it, and they says it’s no big deal - nowadays can get approval for boat reg. within a week for domestically made or 2-4 weeks for imports.

Oh yes… the Kuroshio current and winter NE winds can create quite rough conditions in most north/east/west parts of Taiwan. That’s why in winter it’s best to keep boats in the south (which I plan to do). Trips from Kaohsiung to Little Liuqiu island (off Pingdong) should still be pleasant even on a normal winter day.[/quote]

That’s really great. Please keep us posted on progress.

[quote=“samurai”]Oh lucky you. Hong Kong is much much more developed in that regard. Hope that Taiwan can catch up one day. I think it’ll still take decades if the authorities here don’t remove some remaining obstacles and build more infrastructure. Culture is also a big issue, I think. Somehow most Taiwanese people have great fear of the sea. That’s evident if one counts the number of people on a beach just wetting their feet or snapping photos with smartphones as opposed to actually being in the water swimming.

• Foreign flagged boats are “theoretically” only allowed to be berthed in commercial ports (i.e., Keelung (Jilong), Taichung, Hualian, Kaohsiung, Houbihou), but I think in practice, the authority allows them to be berthed in ports that other Taiwanese boats can get into. Which opens up a lot more options.
  • Several marinas are now designated for yachts so won’t need to be next to smelly fishing boats. Best one so far is in Port Wushih (Yilan) just completed this summer with running water, shore power and is gated for very good privacy.

Oh yes… the Kuroshio current and winter NE winds can create quite rough conditions in most north/east/west parts of Taiwan. That’s why in winter it’s best to keep boats in the south (which I plan to do). Trips from Kaohsiung to Little Liuqiu island (off Pingdong) should still be pleasant even on a normal winter day.[/quote]

That’s really great. Please keep us posted on progress.

My boat has been berthed in Dapeng Bay, Pingtung for about 2 months now. On weekends I’m able sail out with family and friends, but I’d like to do more sailing on regular weekdays. Need to do it with at least one more person as I’m not confident to go completely solo yet. You having no experience is ok. I just need a hand to dock/undock and hoist/take-down the mainsail. If anyone is in the surrounding area and would like to do some sailing together, please send me a message. Cheers.

I’m not in the area, but I would be more than happy to help you with your boat in the north coast :smiley:

Unfortunately I have to work during weekdays to support my habit. Otherwise I’d love to help.

Not planning a trip to northern parts. Will be in Penghu in June for a regatta and staying there for a week or more. Otherwise, I’m open to trips to Kenting, Orchid Island, Green Island, etc.

For those Sea Monsters out there, the Boat show in Kaoshiung will be a pretty big affair …

I joined dapeng sailing club a couple of months ago. I have a hobie bravo there. I spend half my time in SE taiwan and the other half LA. Unfortunately left last week for Oz and LA. Will be back in 6 weeks. I’d love to sail with u in the week. What boat do u have? I’ve been going out with some members on a hobie 16 which has been great. Lot of good people there!
All the best
Roger

[quote=“Roger1950”]
I joined dapeng sailing club a couple of months ago. I have a hobie bravo there. I spend half my time in SE taiwan and the other half LA. Unfortunately left last week for Oz and LA. Will be back in 6 weeks. I’d love to sail with u in the week. What boat do you have? I’ve been going out with some members on a hobie 16 which has been great. Lot of good people there!
All the best
Roger[/quote]
Hi Roger, I’m not a member of that club, but coach Yang and I know each other. i don’t recall seeing a hobie bravo being sailed there recently, but I saw a group of guys sailing a nacra catamaran quite a few times out of that club - and very fast, too… My boat is just in the marina to the left of the club. I’ll send my email to you in a message. See you when you’re back and around then. Cheers.

Not Taiwan, but generally in-line with sailing…listening to you guys chat is making me itchy… So close, yet so far…

Mast is in. In the water this week. Now it just needs me.

Nice boat!