Say no to chinese new year!

by jove, i hate chinese new year. back in china, it was great: three weeks off with pay. over here it sucks.

one week. airfares jacked up through the stratosphere. flights already booked solid. good luck getting out if you aren’t already in the system.

no ticket, no problem? wrong. can you just settle for staying on taiwan for the break? want to commune with nature? good luck. roads will be gridlocked. there will be no shortage of idiots trying to jump queues by tearing down the shoulder and wrecking and ruining it (even more) for everyone else. taroko last year was enough to bring tears to the eyes. tent upon tent on every horizontal surface and people crapping everywhere. elementary athletic fields throughout hualien became ersatz campgrounds.
don’t drink the booze they pour out at this time: conterfeit. poison. dead. happy new year.

what to do? book your tickets now. leave a week earlier than the rush (where tickets are still available) and come back later. you toil your arse off in a foreign land for the one (!) week of vacation only to find out that when the entire nation goes on vacation it isn’t much fun for anyone.

don’t even think about getting a hair cut in chinese new year. the price triples. “why?” will get you a “why not?”.

call me jaded if you want. i learnt the hard way on this topic. if but one person can be spared the “hard knocks” route the better.

I love CNY.
Drive, drive, drive, eat, drink, eat, eat, drink, drink, mahjong, mahjong, mahjong, drink, eat, eat, sleep, eat, eat, drink, drink, mahjong, mahjong, TV, TV, TV, drink, drink, eat, drink, eat, eat, TV, mahjong, sleep, eat, sleep, sleep, sleep, eat, drink, eat, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, eat, eat, eat, drink, drink, mahjong, mahjong, mahjong, eat, drink, sleep, sleep, eat, eat, drink, drink, eat, eat, TV, TV, TV, mahjong, mahjong, mahjong, eat, drink, sleep, sleep, sleep, drive drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive.

Sandman,

you forgot -rain, rain, rain

[quote=“Fox”]Sandman,

you forgot -rain, rain, rain[/quote]
Nah. I have to go down to Wuchi for CNY, so what I forgot was “duststorm, duststorm, duststorm.” :wink:

Skeptic Yank,

A little pissed about not booking tickets early enough? :wink:

red-envolpes, red envolpes, red envolpes, red-envolpes, red-envolpes, red envolpes, red envolpes, red-envolpes, red-envolpes, red envolpes, red envolpes, red-envolpes, red-envolpes, red envolpes, red envolpes, red-envolpes,

and then all the good food, of course.

From what I remember… bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, “oh they’re just kids having fun, no harm” bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, “it’s new year, it’s traditional” bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, “you foreigners don’t understand” bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, 14 hours a day, everyday… right outside my window… ignorant people making my life a misery and making sure I can’t be in my own house

dude, for a moment there, I though it was baning in the room… if you know what i mean…

okay, misunderstanding, problem solved

Let’s not forget the mountains of rubbish piled on every street corner.

And forget about clean clothes if there isn’t a washer/dryer in the house. All the laundromats are closed.

Better fun in HsinChu! Bang! Bang! BANG! Some more firecrackers thrown into the crowd and underneath cars. And… Run! Run! RUN! for dear life. Juvenile delinquents out to give you an adrenaline rush!

Usually the local gangs hang around downtown and try to intimidate each other. Crowds gather and watch the showdown. Nothing new to this city. It’s well-known for being a Gang City (GangLand).

Better than the MOVIES!

To be taken with a grain of salt…

I think Skeptic Yank haven’t found the right spot / place to hang out yet… maybe someone can help him?!

cny means thailand to me! gotta love it

CNY cool, lot’s of thrown away good furniture to scavenge, if you have a truck :slight_smile:

ax

I agree with skeptic yank. I do enjoy chuxi, afterwhich I say get the hell outta dodge.

I usually get through CNY by thinking of it as an extended drinkathon for a worthy charity whereby I donate a few NT for each brew swilled (of course, I later pocket this money for an extra bottle of grog).
If I get really bored I grow a beard.
Actually, between the debauchery and beard-growing I get in some quality reading.

Yep, Miaka to the rescue and count me in for whatever, I will give you a very speical CNY, the Taiwanese way…

which involves…

MaJong!!! yes, don’t get the wrong idea! Tomas!

I have never seen hair cut price gone triples…but usualy I have to wait longer in line…but that won’t be a problem if you call them and make an appointment…if you really wanna get ur hair cut right before the CNY
I guess…maybe you can ask jlick for a deal on the hair thing :laughing:
And usually Taiwanese will have the cleaning, laundry part done before the CNY comes.
Firecrackers … yeah… But I never had that problem too :stuck_out_tongue:
I’d say there’s bang, bang, bang sound on the first or second day of CNY but not as bad as Big Fluffy Matthew had… geesh 14 hours a day??
:? now I think the place I live is quite nice

I love CNY…food…food…food~~~ :smiling_imp:

My wife’s shop isn’t cheap to begin with, and it is closed 1 week for cny.

That word always makes me laugh. It sounds like hair suit.

Tee hee hee.