Say no to chinese new year!

You’re a bunch of grumpy bastards. I like CNY. Good atmosphere. No work. Food.

I bet you hate Christmas too.

Brian

Christmas is the #1 day for suicides in the West.

BU EN LAI wrote: “You’re a bunch of grumpy bastards. {especially the initial poster) I like CNY. Good atmosphere. No work. Food.”

damn right, …
CNY is a really nice time of year. Good atmosphere. No work. Food.

Bu En Lai, we must be CNY blood brothers! How could anyone NOT enjoy that special, lazy time of year. One whole week of pure nothingness. No newspapers, no murder headlines, just one long week of bliss. This will be my third CNY here, and I am looking forward to it.

Sounds like a Scrooge at the top of this thread. Relax, sir, sit back and enjoy the show. For that is what it is, a show. And I agree with sandman, too. These two guys got the right attitude re CNY. As my 3rd CNY approaches, call me … SaY YES TO CNY

There are still tickets on sale to Manila. Choose your own adventure!

Okay, sorry for my naivety, but are you saying the week before CNY would be a bad time to arrrive in Taipei to set up? We plan to arrive January 16. Will probably still be looking for an apartment, so will need to stay in a hotel until we find an apt. I wondered if it would be a bad time. The Chinese people we spoke to said “No problem”. But they are not looking for a place to stay, etc. Thoughts?

michelle

The worst possible time. All the hotels will be booked and those that are free will probably be double the usual price.

Thanks for the advice. Just to be sure, though, do you know everything shutdowns in January 2004?
January 22-??

m

Dude, a Chinese person will tell you ONLY what they THINK you want to hear. Lesson learned!

You would be crazy to move here at that time. You wouldnt be able to get anything done during your first 2 weeks.

Nope, that’s an urban legend.

[quote=“melenheads”]Thanks for the advice. Just to be sure, though, do you know everything shutdowns in January 2004?
January 22-??[/quote]

Most people get off 5-7 days for CNY. Other than restaurants and convenience stores, almost everything is closed for at least 5 days. Since CNY is mid-week this year you can expect people to tack on a few days before and after to their vacation. You can expect that most things will be closed completely January 22-28, and personally I’d advise you to expect things will be slow from January 18-February 1.

Note to self: avoid unnecessary travel in China at this time of year. A nice video from the the New York Times makes this point all too clear:

Guy