School refusing withholding tax statements

That’s easy, it really depends “if” they filed tax with the government for you. It sounds like they are avoiding that topic most likely due to no. As if the tax bureau had your Tax withhold they would have it on record (big indication something is fishy if they don’t). If the Tax bureau does not have that, don’t worry about paying the taxes, tell them the employer was handling it they might investigate them. Though you want tax withhold money back, find your original contract and pay slips then talk to legal aid and tax bureau. If you need a translator find one who can help you too. Helped people with that before sometimes legal aid aren’t sure what you want to they ignore you. English standards in Taiwan aren’t on par yet.

Oh sorry didn’t finish loading. Didn’t see the rest of the conversation. Sorry. That case, there is one at the Tax bureau, if you want you can get it filled by someone or translate it for you.

Adapted from the 代領外僑綜合所得稅退稅授權書 form from Charlie’s link earlier in the thread:

Ps. A more accurate translation of the first part would include the 如有任何糾紛,由本人自行負責 part: “if there is any dispute, I will bear responsibility” more or less.

1 Like

OK, several phone calls and a preventative visit to the Taipei Tax office (for general information) later:

I have an appointment to meet with the charming Mr. Su (who hung up on me once already) at 10 am tomorrow. My next stop, should we fail, will be at the local tax authority. I have all day, Mr. Su…

Can anyone confirm whether a faxed signature is valid in Taiwan?

6 Likes

Hats off to you, ironlady!

I don’t know enough of the Chinese langauge or the local law to answer, but I think this article discusses faxed signatures:

http://blog.roodo.com/justlaw/archives/18359625.html

The article linked above may have been written by a lawyer, or a non-lawyer working for lawyers, but I’m not sure.

Give 'im hell!

Thanks. Read it and cut and pasted some of the more interesting bits. This Mr. Su sounds like a person who makes a lot of noise and people usually run away, so that may be enough. We shall see.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

This Mr. Su doesn’t realize his life is going to get a whole lot worse once he is reported to the tax bureau and perhaps immigration as well. If he didn’t report anything to the tax bureau, he would be best to just pay the same amount to the OP just to make his life easier vs. the tax bureau getting involved.

Thanks for helping this guy out

I’m toying with the idea of going to the tax office first and to my tryst with Mr. Su second. So convenient that the office is right there in Zhubei, what? With the agency agreement, I should be able to get withholding statements from tax anyway. I don’t think they are going to demand original signatures. It would be fun to already have them and listen to his excuses as to why he doesn’t have them, why he won’t give them to me, et cetera, et cetera.

There also seems to be some kind of Hakka cultural thing in Zhubei that might be worth a look. A tile house, or something.I can’t remember the last time I was in that town, so it’s worth a look around anyway.

Oh, and just for fun, it’s still illegal for foreigners to teach kindergarten, right?

It’s one of stupid laws of taiwan, but, yes, foreign languages in kindergarten is still completely illegal.

So I would guess that running a bilingual kindergarten would be a big no-no…unless, of course, you have a lot of good political connections.

He folded like a cheap suit. Already had the papers in envelopes ready to go. And he evidently didn’t know that the Tax Office insists on original signatures for proxies (though they were unable to cite the legal basis for this).

Kinda defensive too. “They left without notice!” he declared, and didn’t much like it when I suggested that it’s tough to illegally leave an illegal job.

The crowning indignity was when he walked me out to the main gate and the old guy at the guard station stuck his head out and said what a nice person I was. (Chatted him up on the way in.)

So if you’ll PM or better email me a good address, I’ll send them to you.

I also have forms to lodge a complaint against him if desired That’s the National Tax authority and it can be done by mail, though they want the explanation of what the school did wrong in Chinese.

6 Likes

Just want to say an almighty thank you to iron lady. This is one lady not to be messed with guys!! I cannot thank you enough for all the trouble you’ve gone to! You could make a living out of this, seriously. I also had no idea that having and English kg was illegal so some interesting things to think about. But honestly I’m so grateful that he handed the statements over after all that. I honestly thought we were running a lost cause!

You’re welcome. I do enjoy a little visit to a reluctant business manager once in a while. :slight_smile:

And he gave in so quickly, I had time to visit Neiwan as long as I was down in that area. Really nice time!

ironlady earns multiple karma points. Well done.

I’m pretty sure this is the best thread I’ve ever read here. Kudos to you both!

Glad it was entertaining, informative and had a happy ending :grin: btw I absolutely loved Neiwan. Visited lots and was easily one of the best things about living there!

1 Like