Sciatica - Supplementary treatments

Any good suggestions? My car got t-boned by a minor with a learner’s permit on Sunday and subsequently diagnosed with acute sciatica. Other pains aside, my lower back and left leg have been aching and sore.

Have prescription oxy and taking steroids from urgent care physician, but anything else I can do to improve conditions until my Orthopedist appointment would be good.

Get at me.

Some might be against the idea of Chinese medicine, but have you tried acupuncture or cupping? It could help release the tension.

Unfortunately, not familiar with any over on the east coast. When I was there, mostly family friends helping me out with the above mentioned.

My sciatica issues are caused by a bone injury I had while playing sports, so I can’t guarantee it will work for you as well.

Hot packs followed by some stretching help.
I try to stand up and walk very often, because sitting for long periods of time is the absolute worst thing in existence for me, unless I can lay on the office chair I have at home which bends backward a lot and removes basically all weight from my lower back,
It’s winter, so when I wake up in the morning I wish I could fall in a coma until next Spring. If you have the time, have a hot shower in the morning, just a few minutes of hot water on the lower back are enough to help muscles/ligaments to start the day.
Laying belly down helps me a lot to stretch the back and keep it in a healthy position, so at peak-pain I try to find 5 minutes to lay on a bed/couch/rice field belly down and stretch my back upward. Laying on the sides has no effect on me. If I fall asleep belly up, when I wake I wish I was dead.

My inner English teacher wants to wish your car a speedy recovery from its sciatica. :wink:

Baha. Your welcome for the typo. Oh snap, another one! The first couple are complimentary, @yyy. Future ones won’t be free of charge.

I have not. Very anxious and somewhat suspicious about quasi-scientific methods. Also a bit of fear in there, too. Where is the science behind it, man!

Not to worry! I hear robots will type for us in the future… :robot: :sleeping:

Alright, will try hot shower. Have also been considering getting a heating pad. When I try to stretch the muscles get glaringly tender, though.

Btw, your mattress might be too soft.

Thanks.

My mattress has the same softness of a thin carpet laying directly on a concrete floor >_>

Well, at least its cute.

Sorry.

I feel your pain. I have sciatica from a collapsed disc and I have been living with it for 7 years. Parts of my leg are numb and part of my foot. And I get cramps from hell from time to time. And yes, it hurts to walk.

I have never found any pain meds that will help.

Chiropractor, but not he whose name I won’t mention here but who used to have a banner ad.

I had good results with a chiropractor who isn’t here anymore when I had a herniated disc and related sciatica.

Heating the muscle is best for keeping it loose. Baths are best but a hot shower running on the back can help also. Avoid sitting, especially chairs with no back support which is most for a long period of time. Laying down with your belly up also can make it worst. That’s the worst part about sciatica. Laying down and sitting down can all make it worse.

If you can, decompress the spine. Most people don’t have inversion tables. But you can get some of the same benefit by grabbing a pull up bar or something like that and hanging for a while. It will help decompress the spine pinching on the sciatic nerve. There are some great stretches for the lower back also.

But don’t just focuse on the lower back. Your hips, glutes and hamstring all attach to you lower back. And if they’re tight. It call also cause them to pull down on your lower back muscle making it worse.

If you want, I can lay down some simple stretches for you to do that I get my clients to do.

My brother had, what he calls, a miracle surgery a few years ago. It was his second one. The first one lasted about 15 years and lift a “zipper” scar on his back.

The second round, he found a father and son, coincidentally from Taiwan, who invented a minimally invasive surgery using a fiber optic camera and basically, a rotary tool to clean out the inflammation around, IIRC, L3 and L5.

The second surgery only left him with two small, round scars. He went into surgery in a walker/wheelchair, and walked out of surgery. The next day he went on a two mile hike, no problem. Before the surgery, he had been bedridden for a couple of weeks, couldn’t even walk.

Unfortunately, the Docs are in Arizona (USA). But, let me know and I can find out more information. Maybe they’ve expanded or there are others now using their equipment.

I’d be interested in this info as well. I’ve been having back pain for 19 years, ever since I got my injury, so if there were new methods to surgically threat sciatica I’d be glad to give it a shot

My pleasure. I’ll check with my bro and get some info for you.

Before his first surgery, I believe the doctor at the time was suggesting he get fusion surgery. My brother was only in his early 20s and the time and refused (no pun intended) because he still wanted to ski and be active.

He had been suffering for a few years as well. The injury was from high school football.

I’ll find out more and let you know.

That would be great. I’ve been hearing “stretching and hotpacks” since a time when I wasn’t still allowed to drink alcohol. Hearing something different would be amazing, regardless of what it is xP

Thanks!

1 Like

Sure, anything helps.

That doesn’t sound too bad actually. At this hour it takes me under 30 minutes to get to Bob Hope airport, from there, an hour flight to Phoenix. Can’t finish Thor: Ragnarok even if my eyes were glued to the screen the entire trip. Keen to know more.

1 Like

No Q! :smirk:

Thanqs?

No Q…what ?_?

No Q-ing in the sciatica thread…this is serious stuff!

1 Like