Scooter slogans

Anyway (a boy)
Dudu (a girl), pronounced doodoo. I persuaded her mother to change the name…and it was changed to Barney.
Ant (a boy)
Yanna (2 girls)
Rover (a man)
Kirin (a boy)

Has anyone been given a weird Chinese name? I asked a friend to give me a cool Chinese name years back. That was a mistake - people would laugh when I told them my name. Of couirse I changed it. Apparently the name

Jacket (male)
Faithy (female)
Alloy (male)
Solas (male)

“Urine” (pronouced as ureenaa) - a boy
“Jesus Gun”
“Carrie” a boy

Took me a while to realize that the weird names (for children at least), come from spelling errors and misreading when they are too young to realize and they seem to stick

In various classes over the years:

Spock and his classmate Bones
Tike
Captaintoo (who sat next to his brother Gilligan)
Smack
Seven
Hero
Audi
Sunshine and Wafer (brother and sister)
Cheese
Dai Dai (pronounced “die die”)
Whistle
Platon

In one of my starter classes last over the summer I was asking the new students if they had an English name. One girl whispered that her name was Sandy. Unsure of exactly what she had said I asked her to write it. She wrote “M-a-s-h-o-o-n”. She insisted on saying “Sandy” but spelling it “Mashoon” Go figure.

The school where I moonlight at is very well-run, and usually we don’t get bizarre names … but with that said, I do have a “Bebe” (pronounced “Bee-bee”) in my class … that’s about the weirdest I have now.

At a cram school where I used to work, there was a Taiwanese teacher/tutor there (a 20 yo guy) with the name “Tango.” I also chatted online once with a guy named “Bono.” :unamused:

Socha
Kafka
I think Exxon is a good name for male:)

ax

I met a guy the other day whose name I found out in advance was Gordon. He’s Taiwanese and a senior VP at a big international company. He speaks very good English, he introduced himself as Gordon but gave me a business card with his name spelled as “Golden.”
Figure that one out! :unamused:

Imagine Flash Golden, defender of the earth:)

and Manduck:) of course…

rgs,
anton xie

This too has been a fun post and does not deserve to be relegated so far down the page…

A new student just arrived at our school…goes by the name of Chomper

Ah. You see that’s Tongyong Pinyin (

ROTFLMAO!

Iron - he’s a personal trainer at California Gym.

xxx

guy : laser
guy : lucas wayne
gal : titty

Did she live up to her name?

nope :frowning:
thats the reason it is her name, than a given name :wink:

When I first started teaching English in Taiwan, I had a female student
named “Clean”.

Later, there were the two friends in the same class, “In” and “Out”.

I also have had a student named " Modem" as well as students who
called themselves “Net”, “Rolex”, and “Benz”.

A more popular trend now is to take a name that everyone knows such
as “Mary” or “Jennifer” and use a very creative way to spell it, such as
“Meri” and “Jannefir”.

A businessman by the name of Agogo Huang. :laughing:

My favourite is a lovely girl whose Chinese name is Ye/Yeh (leaf). She expressed the poetry running through her veins by calling herself Oh. It’s almost a pity that she didn’t add an “a” to spell her family name Yeah – but on second thoughts, it’s better as it is: Oh Yeh looks so perfect on a namecard. Whever I think of her, I conjure up wonderful memories of her long, slender, flawless legs that she loved to flaunt in the shortest of skirts. Oh yeah!