Scotland Independence from UK

About 2/3 of the votes counted and the NO vote still ahead 54.3 to 45.7. Next big block to watch is Edinburgh (then Fife, where my sister used to live :slight_smile:)

Theres still Edinburgh

Yeah, No it will be. BBC has called it already. Can’t see how they could turn it around now. Well, it’s great day for the markets, the pound, and EU bureaucrats. :thumbsup:

Guardian, BBC called it NO. They estimate end result around 54/55% NO. The large Lady is warming her voice up now.

That was a close election for Scotland (and the UK). People voted, and they decided against secession. And that’s perfectly fine, because people were able to vote democratically and it was a clean event (no dirty play there). A perfectly normal event in a civilized country. I’m not surprised of the result either, since UK government played their cards well, and offered more decision powers, fiscal advantages, and other measures to convince people in Scotland that they were, in fact, better together. They will probably keep their part on the agreement too, because that’s how it’s done if you’re a serious government, you make promises and you keep them. It’s possible that in the future Scotland might want to vote again, and I don’t doubt that the UK government will allow them to. As I said, a civilized country.

But, as Monty Python would say, “now, for something completely different”: The next two months in Spain are going to be tough, starting today, when the Catalan government will approve a law to allow people to vote, and the Spanish Inquisi… I mean, the Spanish government will make everything in their power to make voting illegal. As they said during Franco’s dictatorship: Spain is different.

Ah Spain, the romance never dies there.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition…

I hope that everyone is able to remain mindful of the fact that, as a much wiser analyst than I put it:

England didn’t frigging win anything, Scotland won, the Scots just (narrowly as heck) made a democratic choice that happens to favour British circumstances.

And anyways, these results are mental:

North Lanarkshire
Turnout 84.4%
Yes 115,783
No 110,922

Inverclyde
Turnout 87.4%
Yes 27,243
No 27,329

[quote=“Rocket”]I hope that everyone is able to remain mindful of the fact that, as a much wiser analyst than I put it:

England didn’t frigging win anything, Scotland won, the Scots just (narrowly as heck) made a democratic choice that happens to favour British circumstances.[/quote]

You’re right: the Scots got their right to vote, and they made a perfectly legitimate and democratic choice. They “win” in the sense they were able to choose.

But the English government also wins in credibility by allowing them to vote.

In the end, democracy wins. And if, in a couple of years, the Scots decide to hold another vote, they will, and they will decide again. At least, they have a package of measures that the English government promised for Scotland if they didn’t secede. In that sense, they also win.

It died years ago. The stench of corruption there is worse than the “funk of 40.000 years” Vincent Price spoke of in “Thriller”.

[quote]…it was a completely Scottish decision and they voted for what a majority wanted. A lot of Englishers, who just don’t get it, will be treating it like they just beat Scotland…
[/quote]

As an English person, allow me to say ‘STFU’ and further add that no-one outside Westminster gives a flying fuck. Every English person I know says 'Good on ‘em: do what they want to do’ or ‘Who gives a shit?’.

Furthermore, you’ll find very few English people on the street who have a great desire in holding onto the union either. Probably fewer than in Scotland. I’ll be in the pub tonight with Scots, English, Norn Irish and Welsh folk as well as furriners not from God’s own four countries and not a single bad word will be spoken, I can guarantee it. There will be ZERO crowing from ‘the English’. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Dumb auslanders.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote]…it was a completely Scottish decision and they voted for what a majority wanted. A lot of Englishers, who just don’t get it, will be treating it like they just beat Scotland…
[/quote]

As an English person, allow me to say ‘STFU’ and further add that no-one outside Westminster gives a flying fuck. Every English person I know says 'Good on ‘em: do what they want to do’ or ‘Who gives a shit?’

Dumb auslanders.[/quote]

For your information, missy, I’ve never even been to Austria.

I don’t doubt your sincerity for a moment, but the duly elected representatives of your beloved nation don’t appear to share your heartfelt equanimity.
One would hazard to submit that you’re probably a lot more of a" person" than you are “English”.
(Which would be intended, just so you know, in the most complementary way possible :flowers:)

You can hardly expect us to accept your ideals as representing those of your countrymen.

I mean, you don’t like pizza.
OR frigging ice cream.
Who doesn’t like pizza or ice cream?
That’s mental.
You can’t live on peanut butter, for jumping out loud! :loco:

I’m allergic to peanuts.

You are talking some shit up there. [quote]One would hazard to submit that you’re probably a lot more of a" person" than you are “English”.[/quote]

So, do we keep Andy Murray?

I was hoping for a yes, so shortbread would become foreign food. “Yah, I love foreign food. Have a piece of this heavenly offering from overseas.”

[quote=“superking”]So, do we keep Andy Murray?

I was hoping for a yes, so shortbread would become foreign food. “Yah, I love foreign food. Have a piece of this heavenly offering from overseas.”[/quote]

I remember the joke that you could tell whether he had won or lost by whether the UK media reported “In yesterday’s match, Britain’s Andy Murray…” or “In yesterday’s match, Scotland’s Andy Murray…”

[quote=“superking”]So, do we keep Andy Murray?

I was hoping for a yes, so shortbread would become foreign food. “Yah, I love foreign food. Have a piece of this heavenly offering from overseas.”[/quote]

oh… that’s why those boxes have plaid tartans on them… As a fan of shortbread it had never entered my mind that the box design has something to say about the origin of shortbread… :blush:

It wasn’t even remotely close. The Unionists crushed the secessionists by a stunning 10-point margin. In politics, that’s huge.

ibtimes.co.uk/scotland-indep … ds-1466274

More powers for Cornwall!

It wasn’t even remotely close. The Unionists crushed the secessionists by a stunning 10-point margin. In politics, that’s huge.[/quote]

Oh, it was 10 points in the end? I saw it this morning when they were 53 to 47. Well, anyways, good for them. I’m glad most people (87% of them?) went to vote and express their opinion. That’s what democracy is supposed to be, and solves the issue (for now, at least). The UK government played their cards well, allowing people to vote and making concessions to Scotland if they stayed. The ones that truly won today were the Scots as a whole.

55% to 45%, not a whole lot in it considering they were voting for independence or not! This wasn’t your regular switch your President vote. There were some areas like Glasgow that voted for independence, perhaps they should secede immediately like the British government managed to fix with Northern Ireland. :astonished:
Young people voted over 70% for independence. It’s not a resounding vote although it is clear.