Sending Homemade Electronic Device By Mail

I wrote to Chungwa post with this question, and their answer wasn’t entirely satisfactory.
They linked to a poster with 9 categories of forbidden categories of items, but it still wasn’t entirely clear.
I’ve been building small headphone amplifiers into Altoids mint tins. I source the electronic components from local stores, then build the amps.
The amps contain no batteries when shipped out.
Is there a blanket ban on shipping electronics by mail?

Where are you sending them? Domestic or intl?

International.

As long as it doesn’t have any batteries, wifi, bluetooth or other devices in it that are able to transmit it should be fine. Otherwise it needs certification from NCC or FCC. Electronics that are in the category of high tech needing export permits to countries like China could not be send by mail.

1 Like

It’s a handmade device which I’m sending overseas as a gift.
It contains two electrolytic capacitors and a small silicon chip (an LM 386 op amp). Does this mean I can’t send it?

Make sure to use your profile picture on the parcel.

Why Brianjones ? Are they cricket fans?

Why? Is the chip high tech of the latest make and not for export to enemy countries? The capacitors are not charged, no power. Probably no problem then. Are there any explosives included?

Hey, I’m asking the questions here. Get your own thread.

yes, you can send it via UPS or DHL.

if they ask what’s inside you can write down headphones only.

The Chungwa Post sent a reply that included their poster. The one that lists 9 categories of prohibited items.
There is nothing inside my homemade amp that fits any of the categories… unless they consider the contents of an electrolytic capacitor to be toxic or corrosive.

I don’t want to perjure myself.

I do send electronics samples to our customer’s for approval testing and inside there’s capacitors and other components but of course no batteries.

I send it via express courier.

You need to make invoice and description of the sample products and no problem.

you said it was headphone amplifiers right? so just right headphone amplifiers then.

Ok, wiseguy. Here’s the short list of amp parts. Are these allowed to be sent by mail? Are these not allowed to be sent in the mail?
3 1/8w resistors
2 16V electrolytic capacitors
1 MPF 102 JFET transistor
1 LM 386 op amp
3 film capacitors
perf board

Are any of these prohibited as “corrosive” or “toxic” items?
If there is a ban on all electronics, well then I’m rooted.
But if these items are ok to send in the post, then I’m good to go.

the postal clerk said
“No Electronics!”

It’s one of these.
[http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html](http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

The last time I sent one out to a friend in the US I wrote “Ruby Headphone amp” on the package.
The clerk treated me very suspiciously, and kept asking
“No electronics, right?”

I’m using express courier like UPS they accept “electronic components”

Ok.
What about Chungwa Post? What’s their story?