Sending Homemade Electronic Device By Mail

Post office freight charge are cheap and seems they don’t want electronics no choice then you need to shift to expensive courier.

Problem solve.

Problem not solve… yet. I want a more comprehensive answer.

You got an answer from the post office themselves. What exactly do you want to know here?

4 Likes

I want to square two inconsistent responses I received from the post office.
The clerk patronizingly shouts
“No electronics!”
At me, but the email response from Chungwa Post suggests something else:
“Dear Mr. *******, Thank you for your email.
First, electronic products with lithium battery are prohibited. Moreover,
your homemade headphone amplifier cannot contain dangerous goods prohibited
via postal services. Please refer to the picture in below link:”

My guess is this. The email referred to Taiwan regulations (or did you specifically mention you were mailing to the US?) The clerk is aware of some international or US-specific regulation and this was reflected in their comment–they’re usually pretty knowledgeable. Did you check any US mail sites or anything?

Or just a lazy clerk. OP can try other post offices, or other clerks.

About 5 seconds on Google and…

1 Like

Ok, cool.

The link to the form doesn’t work

That sounds pretty specific for a lazy clerk though.

Try googling it

Was posted as one of the earliest answers … :crazy_face:

“As long as it doesn’t have any batteries, wifi, bluetooth or other devices in it that are able to transmit it should be fine. Otherwise it needs certification from NCC or FCC.”

Let’s just say I may have some knowledge as to what happens when you try to ship a phone. Their customs are on the ball and it will get x-rayed and sent back.

If it doesn’t have a battery I can’t see the post office caring either way, including transmitting devices. The USA might care but why would the Taiwan post office. As long as the device doesn’t contain anything that could hurt the carrier eg capacitor is charged in some way

Even the post office suggested phones could be sent if the battery was removed.

1 Like

Yes. That was the reply I received from the Postal inquiries portal.

Seems you had a conversation with a sensible person. Maybe I just need to go to another postal branch and try again? The guy at Linyuan Post Office, with the bad English and the mullet, seems to have it out for me!

I sent a “Ruby Amp” (that’s what I wrote on the form) to the US last week. Fingers crossed it won’t come back to me. But that’s the point of this entire thread: I don’t want to be guessing about what the postal service will accept or reject.