Senseless tragedy in Yangmei

Does that repealed law apply to children? That seems dumb even by Floridian standards.

This example is very extreme, anecdotal, and an emotional attachment to the case seems to give the author credibility and the ability to make a clear judgment when in fact it robs him/her of it. Itā€™s true that traffic here is chaotic, but itā€™s not as bad as in many many other countries, including parts of Europe (Italy, Easterm Europe) America (Ummm Queens? LA? Chicago? MUCH worse traffic), Mexico, South America, and most of Asia. One stupid womanā€™s mistake in this story does not necessarily reflect on 100% of the other drivers. Also, I donā€™t know about where this person is from, but we have traffic directors back in the US, and even in America, without them, busy intersections will see more accidents. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re there; to prevent these accidents.

I originally posted the above text on another thread where someone referenced this post, and all I can say is this: I sure hope the OP didnā€™t let their bitterness prevent them from continuing to do what they knew was right. Your traffic directing probably not only saved lives, but instilled good habits in people, and they in turn may have had a similar effect on other driversā€¦ Please keep in mind that the traffic in Taipei today is at least 5x better than it was even 5 years ago, and itā€™s probably due in small part to people like you.

Really? I donā€™t get that impression. But perhaps thatā€™s because I almost never drive in Taiwan (and am much happier for it).

Really? I donā€™t get that impression. But perhaps thatā€™s because I almost never drive in Taiwan (and am much happier for it).[/quote]
Well, I canā€™t speak for Taiwan as a whole, but Taipei City has improved for sure.

I donā€™t feel itā€™s much difference, but then I drive mostly in the highways or in sanchong area.

Iā€™ve lived in Muzha and Neihu. Never seen a violation on Neihu rd near where I lived. In Muzha people will still run red lights at night if no one else is around, but during the day itā€™s very calm.

Iā€™m sure we can find ten violations a minute on Neihu rd., just have a good look and know the traffic code ā€¦ according to the suggestive rules of Taiwan, no one makes a traffic violation ever ā€¦

Saw two scooter riders run a red light in front of a cop car yesterday. I even looked at the cop and pointed to the drivers. They ignored me. Loads of laughs. Ha.

I hinestly donā€™t see anything that I donā€™t see anywhere else, really. I donā€™t find driving here to in the least stressful. Maybe I just love Taiwan too much. But 22 years in a car and on motorbikes without a ding or driving-induced scratch (well, apart from a 10k panel-beating jobbie after I ran into the back of a legally parked bus). Iā€™m fairly happy about traffic conditions here. You should try Edinburgh! At least here thereā€™s usually someplace within the city limits where you can park your car!

We stayed a week in Edinburg with a rental car.
Finding parking was a pain, but I find driving on the wrong side of the road easier than driving on both sides.
I canā€™t say I found walking in Edinburk half the pain I find it here.

Please tell us more about that bus job you did. Sounds like quite a numberā€¦ spin the hilarious for us all will ya, just one more time before I leave this rock.