Separate ID numbering system for foreigners

Found this number generator , which got the form to go through! But I still can’t complete the order until I get their verification email, which hasn’t come yet. Maybe it’ll arrive by the morning. Anyway, it seems to have accepted that generated number.

Hm… i don’t have a Taiwanese ID number, either.
If i order something that depends on me having some kind of government approved ID, then i have no choice but to enter my Japanese passport number (to be exact: it is not a number but a code consisting of two letters and 7 digits) - that has always worked so far.
If i order something where just a reference number is needed (say, a train ticket), i just enter a made-up code.
I have not yet wanted to order anything where specifically a Taiwan ID number was needed, but if you need such a number, try these numbers that are supposed to work: T213456784 if you are female; T123456785 if you are male. :discodance:

I’m sure it’s illegal though. If a conflict situation ever arose I wonder if it could become an issue.

I sleep well in the knowledge that making up numbers is not illegal. :smiley:
Using such numbers is probably illegal in some situations, but as long as common sense prevails, this should not be an issue.
If an online store requires such a number to ship a package to you, then i doubt they’d have a claim if you were to use such a number,
but obviously one should never use such a number on a government site or in the context of online banking. :doh:

ZhongHwa Telecom require my passport before they’ll issue a SIM card & new number.
My APRC (gov’t issued, backed by my passport & with my full name, address, passport number on the front) isn’t enough for them.

Of course, the xiao-jie wandering the store only told us that 2 pieces of ID were required. So we then wait for 30 mins, only to be served by a spotty buffoon who won’t hold my gaze and talks only to my wife. In the end, I insulted him in english & walked out, it’s rare I do that. Moron.

Locals can rely on their Id card only, why can’t I?

Racists.

Didn’t see that post of yours when i answered your question that day. :ponder:

Here is (for those who want to know) the algorithm:

1. choose:
  • region code
  • 7 digit number
  1. calculate:
  • raw string value
  1. add:
  • checksum

Example:

1. select:
  • region indicator letter and corresponding decimal value
  • gender and corresponding value (possible values: 1 for male, 2 for female)
  1. make up:
  • 7-digit number
  1. calculate:
  • add the following 10 values derived by multiplication):
    [1st digit of chosen region code] x1 +
    [2nd digit of chosen region code] x9 +
    [your chosen gender indicator] x8 +
    [1st digit of made-up number] x7 +
    [2nd digit of made-up number] x6 +
    [3rd digit of made-up number] x5 +
    [4th digit of made-up number] x4 +
    [5th digit of made-up number] x3 +
    [6th digit of made-up number] x2 +
    [7th digit of made-up number] x1 =
    = raw string value (subtotal)
  1. add:
    a checksum to the subtotal to get a final value that is divisible by 10 (i.e., ending in “0”)

:discodance:

[quote=“Nuit”]ZhongHwa Telecom require my passport before they’ll issue a SIM card & new number.
My APRC (gov’t issued, backed by my passport & with my full name, address, passport number on the front) isn’t enough for them.

Of course, the xiao-jie wandering the store only told us that 2 pieces of ID were required. So we then wait for 30 mins, only to be served by a spotty buffoon who won’t hold my gaze and talks only to my wife. In the end, I insulted him in english & walked out, it’s rare I do that. Moron.

Locals can rely on their Id card only, why can’t I?

Racists.[/quote]

If you have an APRC card, then you should know by now that Taiwanese will never treat you as an equal. Though oddly enough the bank of taiwan branch i go to exchanged money for me with only my ARC.

I know, I know. Still, I can live with being inferior - it was the 30 min wait before letting me know that riled me.

Faking has caused some problems for a few people at least:

I experienced this problem a couple of times. Often banks require you to bring in your Passport, the ARC is not enough for them.

And in IKEA Taichung there are machines that let you print out a code to receive a small gift if you purchase something. ARC ID does not work.
If somebody wants to sue IKEA over discrimination xD

EDIT:
Anyone have any idea how the ARC ID is calculated?
Here is how it is done for resident IDs http://www.myfakeinfo.com/check/validate-chinataiwan-icnumber.php

I would write a small open source library so those lazy devs can cut and paste my code into their verification software.

I do not speak chinese very well to find any documentation on this.

1 Like

Can other ARC holders try to validate their ID in here https://people.debian.org/~paulliu/ROCid.html but in place of the second letter use the number 2. Second letter is a number on a roc id and encodes gender 1 male and 2 female. ARC holders have a letter there which makes them not validate.

My ID validates this way.

I am trying to reverse engineer the system for ARC ids. It should be calculated similar to resident ids anyway. I just need feedback if this works with all ARC ids.

1 Like

Using the 2 for female it worked, tried the 1 for male and didn’t pass check.

Same here. Works for female but not for male. Now if I were just a female…

Which letter is in the second place in your ID? I have a C

Yeah…my old ARC number works when I use 2 in the second digit…I also have a “C” in the second digit’s place.

Same here. ‘C’ is the second letter on my ARC no. Only valid if replaced with ‘2’ and not with ‘1’

So it should be a safe bet to replace C with 2 if the verification software rejects ARC IDs somewhere. The uniq serial_number is what makes the IDs different. So you will not use somebody else’s ID number illegally.
The gender information encoded in the ARC card is most likely not used by the verification systems that fail to validate ARC IDs anyway.
The only problem is if you purchase a ticket and that ticket is cross checked with your ID by a person, they see the small difference and may not let you enter/travel with that ticket…
but then you can sue them for discrimination.

location_code :: 1LETTER
gender_code :: 1 male | 2 female | C - ARC (counted as 2 for checksum)
serial_number :: 7
DIGIT
checksum :: 1*DIGIT

location_code:
臺北市(A)
臺中市(B)
基隆市©
臺南市(D)
高雄市(E)
臺北縣(F)
宜蘭縣(G)
桃園縣(H)