Serif vs Sans Serif on Forumosa

Continuing the discussion from Problems with the new design:

• I prefer Serif fonts for the body text on Forumosa
  • I prefer Sans serif fonts for the body text on Forumosa
  • I am indifferent

0 voters

After looking at this below, I may suggest we go back to Sans-serif

Sorry if my “Really sir?” came across as facetious, it certainly wasn’t intended to be, I was sincerely surprised at your findings.
Jollibee :spaghetti: on me.

I can live with both. Serif fonts might be good for longer texts, like articles, but even the folks at http://forums.philosophyforums.com/ where posts are typically rather long use Sans Serif. So switching back is probably the right way to go.

Sans please. It’s just more attractive, in big and small text. The Serif option of Times New Roman was developed for The Times newspaper. I think we’ve moved on from that, yeah?

Wait, am I the only one reading this on my typewriter??

Well, bugger me. A talking raccoon! Now I’ve seen it all.

I’m definitely Team Sans.

Also, don’t change parts of the color scheme before having a new scheme all figured out. The current light blue on beige with brown buttons design is not easy on the eyes.

Using color scheme generators might help. A set of colors based on the current beige (#FDF6E3) back ground

If however the current color scheme aims to create a visual reminiscent to Taiwanese cityscapes, for those feeling nostalgia being away from the island, then ignore my color scheme comment because it’s doing a superb job.

I’d be rooting for dull concrete grey with rust streaks and blue tarpaulins, in that case, which is pretty close to what we can see right now.

Don’t be urodaculous…

Plagiarizing myself from another thread:

On a decent screen with font anti-aliasing (“ClearType”) switched on, the right kind of serif font should look more legible for most people. Still, serif or not, the font you see on Forumosa now is the one you yourself selected in your browser, and the same one you’ll see on many other websites, for example on Wikipedia. Good web design is about respecting those settings and Wikipedia’s layout, which also follows this principle, withstood the test of time quite well.

For many people who have never touched this setting, the default font might be something like Times New Roman, which is admittedly ugly, but the good news is you can change it anytime. Personally I use Caecilia, which comes with Amazon Kindle. Other very legible serif fonts that can be downloaded for free include Charis SIL, Sanchez Regular, and Amasis. Even if you don’t want to install any new fonts, you most likely already have Microsoft’s [Georgia] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(typeface)) or Cambria, which you can try.

Of course, if you really despise serif fonts, just choose a sans-serif one (try Segoe UI or Calibri) but the point is, with the things the way they are now, the font you see on Forumosa is your own preferred font from the browser’s settings, so if you don’t like it, just go there and change it once and for all. I certainly appreciate the ability to do just that. Thank you @tempogain, @GooseEgg for all the hard work!

Incidentally, phpBB also respected the user’s preference and did not impose Arial upon everyone, although it defaulted to the sans-serif font.

2 Likes

Huh, I never realized that. Messing around with some fonts now.

http://www.howtogeek.com/208552/how-to-change-the-default-fonts-in-your-web-browser/

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Thought that the font could be set in the browser. Changed everything to System for now. But you might still choose a serif or not serif font for all the people who can’t or won’t choose a setting themselves.

I knew that … in 1998. It never occurred to me that this never went away. I thought CSS ruled the Web now.

I’ve only read the linked comparison now. It’s correct historically but not really up to date since a couple of things have changed:

• New serif fonts have been developed or reworked specifically for the screen and include optimizations such as larger x-height to make them more readable at smaller sizes.
  • Screen DPI (PPI) are no longer in the range of 72 or 96 but got much higher. You can check yours here: http://dpi.lv/ My laptop screen is a 166 and serifs look fine on it. It’s not unusual now to have a computer display approaching or even surpassing 300 DPI.
  • DPI in print is not directly comparable because all that can be printed are black dots on white paper, while on screen there are up to 16,777,216 colors available to smooth the edges out, and font rasterization algorithms that deal with it have improved a lot in recent years.
  • The newest Kindle has a 300 DPI screen and only 16 intermediate levels of grey yet it uses serif fonts. What also matters is the distance between the eye and the screen, bound to be much shorter for any handheld device. The farther you’re away from the screen, the lower the DPI necessary to make things look good.

The comparison also appears to contradict itself where directly above the “conclusion” that only sans-serif fonts are suitable for the web, it seems to suggest that the most popular web typeface is Georgia, a serif one (not sure if this is really correct, I’d expect Verdana or Arial to be the most popular).

Whatever the font was on this new site before it was changed. That’s what I like best. Wasn’t thinking about the font until it was changed to what it is now, which I don’t like.

The original font was Arial. Now it uses the default font from your browser’s settings just like the old site did, the difference being the old site used the default sans-serif font while the font being used now is the default serif font.

I’m fine with whatever the admins decide, and I promise I won’t drive a truck into the Forumosa HQ in protest but it really can look better this way, as long as you choose a font you like:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @Doraemonster. I just changed the default on my browser and things are already looking better here.

1 Like

See how serif fonts gets all fuzzy even when the resolution goes down by a little in your screen cap.

In comparison, a screen cap of your post in Sans with reduced resolution is much more readable.

The same screen cap with less compression looks even better. Oh yeah, that’s the open source and free Ubuntu font. You can download it. Did I mention it’s free?

Friggin Ubuntu is my company’s VI font. I get kind of throw-uppy when I see it.

Meself, me browser settings don’t have anywhere to select a font, and Wikipedia is sans for me, so, you know…

http://33.media.tumblr.com/776fa661ec5aeb5ffd71aba70b8af6d6/tumblr_nh0j8eNRR11u63scco1_500.gif

wikipedia has always been sans for me