Sewer water leaking from apartment above, who is responsible? How to proceed?

Sewer water began leaking into my wife’s bathroom, apparently from the apartment above. Not being from Taiwan im not sure who is responsible. Building is like a three unit condo where each unit is privately own but their is no condo association to go to and apparently no agreement on who is responsible for the area between the apartments is in the concrete floor where these pipes are surely located… in the us if the floor isn’t wet in the apartment above is the buildings responsible and the condo board pays the bill. I have no idea how it works here but its a smelly mess and probably a health issue as well. Things are further complication as she is renting and her landlord told her to contact the owner above. This doesn’t look (smell) right.

Move out is the recommendation.

Is this your legal opinion , or just your attempt at humor

Nope practical recommendation.
Landlord doesn’t want to deal with it so it’s a bad sign.

3 Likes

“my wife’s bathroom” :rofl:

Agree with advice above. If it’s just a rental move out

I once read an obituary that included the deceased’s life advice: “The secret to a happy marriage is two bathrooms and two TV’s.”

:toilet: :toilet: :tv: :tv: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :rainbow:

Just sayin’.

2 Likes

So, how did he die?
Did he get killed in the shared kitchen?

It was a woman, but I don’t remember the rest.

And now back to our regularly scheduled dodgy landlords. :slight_smile:

I read it. Well, I see waterproof guys do their thing. They basically find the leak, get the electrician to fix the faulty pipes. Redo the floor tiles or the said problem above your house. Normally your landlord/lady discusses how to foot the bill either 50/50 or… heard of your landowner pays, BUT said owner needs to speak to them. You shouldn’t need to anything except complain or move out.

You should tell your owner and take pictures, then get them to call the waterproof guys. Let them know if some else comes to stay same problem so need it done. I know of someone for Taipei/New Taipei City if you want.

2 Likes

I had a water leakage from above, and all I can say, if you don’t own the apartment move out.
Otherwise, take your camera and record the leaking.
Every time it leaks, go upstairs and document what the upstairs neighbors were doing.
After watching their sleepy dumbface and listening to the shema shema buzedaou for some time, you’ll get the idea.
Don’t allow anyone spraying PU into your ceiling.
You’ll need to hire an expert plumber who can give you a certificate identifying the party responsible.
Making the first appointment with such a plumber solved all our problems since the above neighbors started moving their bottoms.

My apologies I see now you were being serious. Ill let you know how it works out.

2 Likes

renting and the landlord doesn’t want to get off their arse? yea just move out what else is there to do really.

Common occurrence in Taiwan. It’s the responsibility of the apartment above as it’s their water pipes embedded in the concrete floor that are leaking. Repair protocol is to jackhammer their floor and repair pipes. Not the ceiling in your apartment.

Whoever smelled it, dealt it.

Thank you for taking the time to give some thoughtful advice.