Sexual Puritanism in Politically Correct Canada

I live in France but have been watching in disgust as one of the most politically correct countries in the world becomes even more boring and politically correct–my home country of Canada.

I believe politicians such as Weiner and entertainment moguls such as Harvey Weinstein and Roman Polanski are pigs and deserve jail time.

That being said, I also agree with French movie star Catherine Deneuve who hit out at a new “puritanism” sparked by sexual harassment scandals, declaring that men should be “free to hit on” women.
Deneuve was one of about 100 female French writers, performers and academics who wrote an open letter deploring the wave of “denunciations” that has followed claims that the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein raped and sexually assaulted women over decades. They claimed the “witch-hunt” that followed threatens sexual freedom. “Rape is a crime, but trying to seduce someone, even persistently or cack-handedly, is not – nor is men being gentlemanly a macho attack,”

Signs of things going overboard.

1. Garrison Keillor being forced to resign: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/29/567241644/garrison-keillor-accused-of-inappropriate-behavior-minnesota-public-radio-says

2. Ontario Premier-in-Waiting Opposition Leader Pat Brown resigning because he had consensual oral sex with one woman and being rejected by another (sounds like experiences that most men face after the age of 18) https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/01/25/patrick-browns-downfall-an-affront-to-fairness.html

3. A Liberal wheelchair-:joy: bound Cabinet Minister being forced to resign because he called a woman yummy on social media. Oh, the horror! http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-davos-wraps-1.4503098

If this trend continues, only nuns, eunuchs, and other bores will go into politics or the arts!

3 Likes

I’ll have to post another video of Dr Peterson since he’s been the topic of discussion recently. He’s been fighting bill c-16.

https://youtu.be/mEfgf2GRk3Q

1 Like

It’s not just Canada or Europe. It’s becoming a huge trend in the US, too, among Democrats. Democrats don’t even seem to understand that it’s happening, making it even worse. (Weinstein and Keillor are US citizens.)

Former Sen. Al Franken (D-MN), while his own worst enemy when Sen. Kirsten “Cersei Lannister” Gillibrand (D-NY) forced his resignation from office last month, was another glaringly obvious object recently of American puritanism.

American politics has always been shaped by religion; the most influential in the Democrat party were the Puritans. Strong streaks and echoes of Puritan morality remain visible to this day, especially among New England politicians of both parties. I suspect it’s a similar situation in Ontario, historically another home of Puritan thought.

Not real worried about it, though, as a US citizen. It didn’t go over well in either original-flavor England or New England, and it won’t go over well now. Canada, though, you guys may have a problem.

I don`t think even the few Yankee (New England) politicians I like (such as former Governor Weld) would pass the sniff test these days. It has gotten that PC. Weld At Heart - Nymag

First of all, Monsieur Dawg, if this is the 專用 Canadian sex scandal thread, would you mind asking Garrison Keillor to wait in the lobby?

Now on topic:

Ontario Premier-in-Waiting Opposition Leader Pat Brown resigning because he had consensual oral sex with one woman and being rejected by another (sounds like experiences that most men face after the age of 18) https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/01/25/patrick-browns-downfall-an-affront-to-fairness.html

“It’s all the media’s fault! It’s a vast left-wing conspiracy! Look at his leadership skills, his confidence, his thick politician skin! He was born to be Premier!” :rainbow: :unicorn: :rofl:

Remember 2008? Remember Stephane Prime Minister-in-Waiting Dion? :rofl: Remember how the media leaked a behind the scenes clip of him stumbling in an English interview and arguing with the interviewer? Next thing we knew, the Governor General was siding with Stephen instead of Stephane. Oh, the horror! :astonished: Where was your outrage then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The consensus was Stephane couldn’t lead because he lacked leadership skills. Can you watch this and still tell us with a straight face that Patrick doesn’t warrant the same diagnosis? (As if the average Ontarian even knew who he was before this happened!)

Also, the allegations are not that he had consensual sex with one woman and tried to kiss another. The allegations are (1) that he had sex with an underage drunk high school student, exact age not specified, and (2) that he took a drunk employee to his bedroom during a party at his house, kissed her and climbed on top of her. (And that he was sober on both occasions, fwiw.)

Your editorial says in as many words, even if the accusers are telling the truth, he still didn’t do anything wrong! :roll_eyes: So now it’s okay to get your employees drunk and “seduce” them? I’m going to run out of rainbows and unicorns if this keeps up.

The Court of Public Opinion has always been unfair. How are the real courts holding up?

Toronto criminal defence lawyer and vice-president of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association Breese Davies, who attended the address, said she believes the Chief Justice was responding to the #Ibelievesurvivors phenomenon on social media, “which appears to want the criminal-justice system to ensure a conviction in every case by starting from the presumption that complainants are credible and reliable witnesses and the accused is guilty. Chief Justice McLachlin’s comments are an important reminder that, because of the devastating consequences of a criminal conviction and the risk of wrongful convictions, an accused’s right to a fair trial must not yield to social pressures.”

Still waiting for the sky to fall… :popcorn:

well it ain’t spreading to asia any time soon. someone i knows boss only hires young girls, flirts with them, trys to touch them or makes them go to dinner with him. he doesn’t seem to give any type of a shit about the actual work, but of course all responsibility is placed on his staff and not him… dude is married too. one girl has actual evidence on her phone of him asking her not to tell her bf about what they talk about and she is too scared to do anything with it. none of them like it but nobody does anything either… seems to be a theme in this country.

It’s not their fault that this is happening to them, but it is their fault they don’t do anything and continue to collect a paycheck knowing full well it’s wront and against the law. They aren’t children who are helpless, they aren’t just women being victimized. They are adults with responsibility. If you continue to let it happen, You are also allowing the next girl to have this happen to. You can’t blame the patriarchy when the law and 99% of people would be on your side but do nothing and collect a paycheck and not tell your bf.

as far as i know she did tell the bf. but what are the bf/s supposed to do exactly?

The bf doesn’t need to do anything. If you’re a victim of harassment of any kind male or female in the workplace. You have options from legal or just quitting. You have my sympathy for it happening in the first place because I think we can all agree it’s wrong. But if you go back and let it happen over and over again…what is anyone suppose to do? You and I can’t go to the proper officials if the victim isn’t willing to come forward. And if anything I think you are personally responsible at a certain level if the person does it to the next person because you didn’t speak up.

She’s not a slave is she?

You aren’t responsible for other people’s actions but you are for yours. Is this not something people understand. If you can’t even stand up to being sexually harassed, I’m sorry. You’re probably the type of person that will get rolled over in every aspect of life. When it’s time to ask for a raise, ask for a promotion, correct someone who wronged you, not let someone cut in line in front of you, etc. this is the type of person that gets fucked over and over again in life and plays the victim. And sadly, predators can smell victims a mile away. I’ve been around felons and types like that. It’s almost scary how they are able to find people with the victim mentality with no backbone and just roll them over.

2 Likes

i agree with all of that mate, its all spot on. i’ve tried to convey the message too but its like banging my head against a brick wall at this point. i think taiwanese are just brainwashed to obey the boss no matter how far they are pushed or how ridiculous it is. i’m pretty tired of the whole thing to be honest.

Than you did your part. You can’t make anyone do anything. I just don’t like it when people make the personal choice and blame others or the system or whatever.

Obedience is part of the mentality here. It has had positive and negative outcomes in society here. But ultimately, you are responsible for your actions.

what are the positives? i could make a pretty big list of negatives…positives not so much…

Pretty orderly society in general. Lack of hooligansism in the youth. Actual respect for teachers and parents and elders.

yea, respect. i am respectful too and i was raised in the west. being respectful and blindly obedient are two different things imo.

1 Like

I never claimed being raised in the West makes anyone lack respect. And yes blind obedience and respect are different.

As the athletes harassed by a highly recognized national team doctor recently did. First legal action by victins was denied, and I guess the victims those who took the action might be blamed at that time, but the next time, they succeeded.

Political correctness IS Puritanism. Horseshoe Theory explains why. Fascism emerged from the far left and has come back home again. It’s not a long trip.

It’s all just another City On A Hill.

So, back on topic, I’m sure Chewy will be thrilled to know that Steve Paikin has just been accused, but he’ll be disappointed to know TVO is not suspending him pending the investigation.

So asking any woman to sleep with you is a crime in Canada? Is there a form you need to have filled out first or how do you know when it’s legal to ask these days?

Wait…what!!!
:joy::joy::joy:
Hooliganism is here, not as much as the West, but we foreigners just don’t see it as much.
Actual respect for teachers…nah, not buying that one. It is a mixed bag as with anywhere, but I have seen plenty of disrespect from students to both Taiwanese and Foreign teachers.
Respect to parents and elders though, yeah, that one is true.