Sharing large amounts of files and data

Dear All,

A few years ago, I needed a smart way of sharing data and files in a ms office environment. We wound up using sugarsync, and it has performed well. That said, we are having issues new, and we need another solution, I think. Basically, we need to share some spreadsheets, some artwork files, a few hundred gigabytes of data among several employees sitting in offices 10,000 km apart.

SugarSync is on the blink, do any have some better ideas?

I’m not going to be helpful I’m afraid, but I’m curious about your SugarSync problems - I realized yesterday that SugarSync hasn’t been working for me, but I don’t know if it’s been on the fritz for a day or for weeks. It seems to have reactivated properly after rebooting a computer, but it’s been uploading files all day now - and very, very slowly.

I’m starting to look into Apple’s iCloud, but in my case it’s just a home (Apple) computer, a work (Windows) computer, and a few iOS devices.

EDIT: I just realized that the files are not uploading. They’re just going around in a circle, trying one and failing and then another and failing, with the queue shuffling itself. That’s not good.

Here a couple of links to SugarSync’s forums - the comments on these posts indicate that the company does not seem to be very helpful. So unhelpful I’m now nervous about continuing to use them.

https://support.sugarsync.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008240208-files-dont-upload-prom-my-pc

https://support.sugarsync.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008216848-Files-won-t-sync

SugarSync was on the blink for a few days, it has recovered now.

We use Box for the tasks you described and it’s reliable…not familiar with the tool you are using though and if the features match like for like.

I like this, that is something we will look further into. Does it allow you to keep the original file structure?

Get a Synology NAS rack and stick 1TB drives in. Or… get google apps for business and have unlimited storage in the cloud.

I’ll go with maybe? We organized ours from scratch, so it sort of is the original. We were not well organized beforehand. Sorry, I’m not technically inclined when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I assume you’re doing the same searches I am. According to SugarSync’s own (rather biased?) comparison chart, Box can’t let you select any folder, so I’d guess you can’t keep the original file structure.

Getapp considers Box more appropriate for Enterprises and Mid-Size Businesses - and at least Box has a knowledge base, although from that site both Box and SugarSync look a bit crap for support.

According to this website, Box is pretty good for collaboration, but it also says Box isn’t good for Mac, if that’s an issue for you (apparently it’s fine with iOS?).

This comparison is from a few years ago, but believes that “Box outclassed SugarSync in every area”.

I’ve always been surprised at how Dropbox is much better known than SugarSync, because I think it’s fantastic that with SugarSync you can synchronize files and folders without moving them on your computer. It’s always seemed so much better a system - but now I’m trying to move on due to the unreliability of the past couple of weeks.

Well, yes, unreliability is a driver. It seems ok now, but need something more. Also, their support told me that each shared folder has a max of 8000 files. We do designs, We have more than that in some folders. No issues yet, but less reliable of late. Thanks for the tip.