Shocks for Scooter

Hi, I have a Suzuki GSR 125CC about ten years old with the original shocks still on it. It’s still a decent bike but the ride is rough and I’d like to smooth it out.

I’ve gone to several shops who have quoted between 7-9k to replace the single rear shock and the twin front ones.

My questions is, should I just let them put any old shock on there? I’m willing to spend more for something better, as long as it makes it a relatively smooth ride again. Or, put it this way: I want the thing to be as smooth as it was the day someone else rode it out of the shop when it was new: what do I need to do to get that?

thanks,
rup

For what you are looking for in ride quality I think stock (oem) shocks is what you are after. Most aftermarket shocks are very stiff and will make for a less than ‘smooth’ ride. A lot of shocks come out of Japan, and the roads there are way smoother than here in Taiwan, so they produce them to be very stiff.

Okay, that makes sense to me. How would I convey to the shop that I want OEM shocks, and also ensure that that’s what I’m actually getting?

Also, wondering, how long are shocks usually good for and is there anything that can be done to maintain them or adjust them? I’m a big dude.

thanks
rup

Anyone?