Short Term Accommodation in Taipei

Whoa, girl comes here on her own, doesn’t know anyone, no place to stay, no job set up, doesn’t speak the language, damn.
That’s old school, girlie.
:bravo:
Good luck, you’ve earned it.
Welcome to the suck.

[quote=“kage”]Also a few on ZhongShan road (the road with Starbucks) a block from Fuzhong MRT.
Kojen and Wall Street at least.[/quote]
In the same area are ELITE, Global Village and TIME (in the same building as Wall Street)
Go out exit 1 or 2 of Fuzhong Station and walk across the main road in front of the exit. Walk past the front door of Hi-Mart department store. Starbucks is at the next corner. Turn right for ELITE (across from Starbucks). Wall Street and TIME are at the next corner in the same building. From Starbucks turn left for Kojen and Global Village at the next corner.
Some good studio apartments in that area also.

I’m guessing it was Happy Family or the Birdhouse that were initially rejected?

HG

[quote=“the chief”]Whoa, girl comes here on her own, doesn’t know anyone, no place to stay, no job set up, doesn’t speak the language, damn.
That’s old school, girlie.
:bravo:
Good luck, you’ve earned it.
Welcome to the suck.[/quote]
Welcome back TomHill.
You’re not going to fool me again.

In the Jhonghe area there are a lot of cram schools around the number 4 park - Giraffe, Happy Marian, Hess, and probably more. If you get off at the Yongan Market Station (orange line) it’s just like a 1 minute walk.

Good Luck!

hi all

thanks for all your help! i ended up getting a job yesterday around zhongxiao fuxing (literally right by the SOGO’s).
now i just need to find a permanent place and i’m set.

lol re: the comments about me coming here alone…i knew i’d have to grow a pair when i came over here, so i’m doing my best to be positive and figure out everything as quickly as possible.

and yes, the hostel was happy family. what a dump.

Try Eight Elephants, near Kuting MRT. It’s really clean. A single there is NT$1000 or so a night; there are also dorms. Secure, nice neighborhood, convenient, and nice people.

I stayed there in May of last year and found it very good.

HTH

[quote=“apple81”]hi all

thanks for all your help! i ended up getting a job yesterday around zhongxiao Fuxing (literally right by the SOGO’s).
now i just need to find a permanent place and I’m set.

lol re: the comments about me coming here alone…i knew I’d have to grow a pair when i came over here, so I’m doing my best to be positive and figure out everything as quickly as possible.

and yes, the hostel was happy family. what a dump.[/quote]

Ha ha ha! Good for you, grrrl, but careful slagging off Happy Family, quite a few of the crustier types around here cut their teeth at the Happy Family!

I hope you’re not planning to commute from Zhong He to Fuxing each day! Tolerable for awhile, but you will want to up your quality of life at some point and lower the commute . . . and get the hell out of Taipei County. A scooter may appeal at some point, but if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle at home, my advice is don’t start riding one in Taiwan.

Ironlady is reliably sagacious, check out her elephant place suggestion if you’re still looking.

HG

well, i am planning on living in taipei county. the city is too expensive for places i like and the ones that are affordable are tiny sardine cans. i found a place for 12500NT that is on a main road with lots of security…however it’s a 20 minute walk to the closest MRT station, buses do run from the station though.
the commute is long and that sucks because my hours are 1-9pm, but i’m used to long commutes back in toronto…
we’ll see if i end up hating it. i might move later on?

Good luck, you, and well done for sorting all out.

[quote=“Icon”]Juba had put up a guide to Taipei Hostels.

I do know of a Shida hotel that charges only 1000 nts :eh:

EDIT:
This one looks nice and new, only 1400 nts a night - City Inn Youth Hostel
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel092246.en.htm[/quote]

Hi Hostels are serviceable, some better than others, and the friendliness of the staff in each varies widely, from sweethearts to pricks.

One of the few things I miss about Korea (for travelling around) are the Go Shi Won. Taiwan could use one of them too.

For those who don’t know, a Go Shi Won is a basic room for the night: single bed room with a locked door, usually a private shower (some are shared), 20 litre fridge and 14" TV. The toilet and kitchen areas are shared (yes, cooking is possible) and they go for US$15 per night.

I actually lived in one for two months while waiting for a decent apartment, rather than moving into a dive. Many Korean students and businessmen live in them for lengths of time when they’re away from home.

I’d just like to have a place where my turtle could burrow for awhile.

[quote=“Sleepyhead”][quote=“Icon”]Juba had put up a guide to Taipei Hostels.

I do know of a Shi-Da hotel that charges only 1000 nts :eh:

EDIT:
This one looks nice and new, only 1400 nts a night - City Inn Youth Hostel
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel092246.en.htm[/quote]

Hi Hostels are serviceable, some better than others, and the friendliness of the staff in each varies widely, from sweethearts to pricks.

One of the few things I miss about Korea (for travelling around) are the Go Shi Won. Taiwan could use one of them too.

For those who don’t know, a Go Shi Won is a basic room for the night: single bed room with a locked door, usually a private shower (some are shared), 20 litre fridge and 14" TV. The toilet and kitchen areas are shared (yes, cooking is possible) and they go for US$15 per night.

I actually lived in one for two months while waiting for a decent apartment, rather than moving into a dive. Many Korean students and businessmen live in them for lengths of time when they’re away from home.[/quote]

OFF TOPIC
What a great business opportunity. I foresee a lot of $$$$$. :slight_smile:

Yep, clean and decent, these rooms would be great. I was checking the “taofangs” or studios near my house, for 8000 you get your own toilet, fridge and LCD and all that stuff, but the places are converted offices, so the air is stale and it feels very much like an enclosure. you knwo what I mean, windowless, cubicle like.

The ones I lived in Shida were the best, in spite of having toilets every two stories… and no washing machine.

To the OP: basic rules of apartment hunting: no living with the landlord, no living in an underground room, no living over/close to KTVs/massage parlors/“beauty parlor”.

[quote=“apple81”]well, I am planning on living in taipei county. the city is too expensive for places I like and the ones that are affordable are tiny sardine cans. i found a place for 12500NT that is on a main road with lots of security…however it’s a 20 minute walk to the closest MRT station, buses do run from the station though.
the commute is long and that sucks because my hours are 1-9pm, but I’m used to long commutes back in toronto…
we’ll see if i end up hating it. I might move later on?[/quote]

Main streets can be awfully noisy. What kind of windows does the place have? If it is on a main road, double soudproof panels are a must.

As to location, can you get to work under alternative routes/means of transportation? Imagine typhoon weather -post and pre, we still have to get to work. Most Taiwanese have short commutes.

However, you will be working long hours, so teh most important thing is that you find a place you are confortable with. Most places in Taiwan are totally convenient, with amenities such as restaurants -few people cook here-, supermarkets -in case you do-, 7-11’s, parks and sports facilities a stone’s throw away.

Oh hm, I never really thought about the noise factor.

I’m still looking around Taipei County and Guting for now, but nothing is really catching my interest. I am thinking of getting a housing agent, because it’s just becoming too much work for me. My budget is between 10,000-15,000NT depending on if I LOVE the place and am willing to pay 15,000NT.

A co-worker lives near Ximen but he says he doesn’t think it’s the safest area, is that true? I went to look at a place near Yongchun which was too much of a shoebox for my taste.

Also, where are all the ex-pat’s hiding? I barely see anyone but locals. Do you guys only come out at night? I wanna increase my social circle of English speaking people but, I haven’t come across many…

I hid in YongChun and only went out at night: started work at 4-ish! Biiiig rooftop apartment, 20,000NT, but a bit ‘basic’. I loved the view. Nice hood, close to (my work) and town, although a pain to taxi to Kuting, GongGuan on the very rare occasion that I would.

Ximen is noisy and ratty. It’s full of kids and weirdoes, but is not what I’d call ‘dangerous’.

Thought about Panchiao or Hsindien?

The problem with moving before the 1 year contract is up is that you risk losing the 2 months deposit you pay to move in.
I agree with what was said about the safety. I feel much, much safer than I would in Vancouver, LA, or London, generally speaking. Haven’t spent a whole lotta time in Toronto, though.

[quote=“apple81”]Oh hm, I never really thought about the noise factor.

I’m still looking around Taipei County and Guting for now, but nothing is really catching my interest. I am thinking of getting a housing agent, because it’s just becoming too much work for me. My budget is between 10,000-15,000NT depending on if I LOVE the place and am willing to pay 15,000NT.

A co-worker lives near Ximen but he says he doesn’t think it’s the safest area, is that true? I went to look at a place near Yongchun which was too much of a shoebox for my taste.

Also, where are all the ex-pat’s hiding? I barely see anyone but locals. Do you guys only come out at night? I wanna increase my social circle of English speaking people but, I haven’t come across many…[/quote]

I would still go for something on the blue line or with a direct, reliable bus line to work. For example, 235 goes from Kuting to Chongshiao, but it can be a bit tricky -too much traffic in between.

We also have a thread about living in Ximen, and the concluison was that it is a bit dirty.

Space wise, apartments do need a bit of time to get used to. Shoeboxes are the norm, unfortunately especially in newer places. Older places can be bigger -at least taller ceilings -but then it’s a tradeoff.

Best place to spot furriners is the MRT. Bookstores such as Eslite and Page One, plus eateries around Shida. Rest of us are locked in our ofices from dawn to dusk. :frowning:

On a different note, how’s the sightseeing?

This looks very good:
http://taiwanted.com/viewlisting.php?view=11030

It worked for me, but it has disaster potential, yeah.

Seconded! To OP: we sometimes get flooding during typhoons. Even the 1st floor is not necessarily immune. I would also avoid older buildings with very thin, flimsy support columns for the covered sidewalk portion. We get earthquakes, and those things look like they might collapse in a big one. I don’t mean to scare you – you’ll probably be fine, but it’s something to consider when apartment hunting, IMO.

True. Look for a quiet alley.

You’ll meet some at work, others at expat bars. Forumosa Happy Hours and similar events are good for making friends. Joining activity groups like the Hiking Club, or volunteering at Animals Taiwan (rescuing strays) or the National Palace Museum (giving tours) are excellent ways too, and some make friends at church, if that’s your thing. The key is to get out and join activities.