Should I Go to Chicken Tonight?

Okay, here’s your chance to direct MM on his adventures across Alaska. I can stay here in Tok (a hamlet noted only for a diner that caters to the RV crowd), drive to the Canadian border (noted for being a border), or drive up to Chicken (a hamlet noted only for the fact that it should have been called Ptarmigan, the state bird, but no one knew how to spell that).

You have an hour. I am currently in the above mentioned diner using their electricity and wifi, but I’d like to leave soon.

Come on, help me out ya bastards!!!

Chicken, And take a photo.

I’d be curious to see the Canadian border and what is beyond - they say the mosquitoes in the Yukon Territory are big as ducks…
myalaskan.com/alaska-towns/chicken.html

I’d be curious to see the Canadian border and what is beyond - they say the mosquitoes in the Yukon Territory are big as ducks…
myalaskan.com/alaska-towns/chicken.html[/quote]

I am canadian and spent 3 long summers in the Yukon near that border so it’s not a stranger to me (nor the blood sucking bugs). I still need to drive there at some point. The question is where to go now.

I’d love to cross the border and see the Yukon again but I think I am restricted from driving a rental car across the border for some peckerheaded reason or another.

I blame Sarah Palin.

I know… :wink: Just pulling your leg…

A good move in any case…
Maybe it’s worth going to Chicken then just to be able to say, “I’ve been there, too”… :astonished:

alaskacruiseblog.com/photos/tok-chicken-eagle/

Chicken, and make sure to bag a brace o’ those ptarmigans–I know it’s still not the season yet, but I don’t think anyone would arrest you up there. :smiley:
1:48…just in time!

[quote=“Wookiee”]Chicken, and make sure to bag a brace o’ those ptarmigans–I know it’s still not the season yet, but I don’t think anyone would arrest you up there. :smiley:
1:48…just in time![/quote]
And they have free wifi in Chicken, too, so we’ll get a live report! :sunglasses:

Actually you got a little more time. My laptop is only 85% recharged.

Yuli, I’ve been to Chicken before, too. I’ve been to all these miserable border areas before. That’s why I’m looking for help deciding which miserable border area to go to.

I spent the last three days in the McCarthy area in an area that was once the largest copper mine in the world, and now is part of a whopping 13 million acres of national park. Gorgeous area and some really cool folks about including hot female rangers (why do they all have red hair?).

I’ve been eating pizza made in a bus, staying in a campground with glacier views, mountain biking bear scat lined trails and drinking hand crafted beer. I saw 12 frickin moose (4 calfs) standing in ponds with the Wrangell Mountains in the background on the drive here.

I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO A PLACE CALLED CHICKEN!

But it looks like the forumosan fates have spoken.

Chicken it will be and I will be sure to get you all a “Go Peckers” T-shirt. “I Got Laid in Chicken” is also available.

Oh, I see Yuli’s post. Okay, live report you shall get tomorrow.

I just realized it’s already past 10pm. I guess I am going to stay in Tok as I haven’t even found a campground yet or set up camp. Oh well, chicken tomorrow.

FWIW, I’d stay in Tok, unless you’re sure there are decent eats in Chicken.

Hm… none of this was obvious from your initial question. :wink:
So what is it that keeps you in that area then…?

Anyway, if you go to Chicken, after all, you can go like a reporter, with the satisfaction that your sacrifice will serve to satisfy someone else’s curiosity. :ponder:

you can find out why it crossed the road.

[quote=“yuli”]…So what is it that keeps you in that area then…?
[/quote]

I’m working on the Lonely Planet Alaska guide. Must go where the people want to go. Er, where they sometimes find themselves stranded.

Tomas, i’m sure I can find something to eat in Chicken. Something… :slight_smile:

To become governor for a year.

A quick look at Google Earth has Chicken by a nose. Certainly over Tok.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]A quick look at Google Earth has Chicken by a nose. Certainly over Tok.

HG[/quote]

Hey, as I sit in Fast Eddies I overlook an acre of gravel, and across that can see a RV repair shop and a laundromat-cum-gas station. Not often those two are put in the same building.

Get out of Tok before Mickey and Mallory show up.

HG

Thread sounds like a game of chicken with the town.

Do they have turkeys in Chicken? :ponder: