Shulin, anything to do in or around there?

A friend of mine lives in shulin and keeps inviting me out there to hang out but I don’t know is there anything to do there like Parks or clubs or food or temples or something anything?

There is no MRT but there is a train which you can use the yo-yo card on.

Shulin used to be known for having very little to offer the tourist; indeed, it was the only New Taipei City district that didn’t have an entry in a New Taipei City travel book that I translated a couple years ago. But now it’s home to Xing Ren Garden Night Market, the biggest night market in northern Taiwan. (Not to be confused with Shilin Night Market.)

that night market sounds worth checking out on being the biggest in northern taiwan and all…
although from the pic it looks like one of those night markets set up in a car park. not really a fan of those. i much prefer the night markets in actual streets shulin already has one night market too.

i went to shulin once, it wasn’t bad for a one time stroll around. typical outside of taipei no pavement place basically.

Shulin is a nice place to live, but I wouldn’t want to visit.

Funny reading about the biggest night market in northern Taiwan. When the organizers say “we’ve been planning it for four years,” what they actually mean is that they have been trying to make it viable for four years. It used to be in a car park 2 minutes walk from my place but it kept going out of business and being resurrected.

The current location is even further away from public transport and in an even less densely populated neighborhood.

I went through the Taiwan news article, the Facebook page and the website which has tons of information except I couldn’t find anything to show the actual address or location.

They have diagrams of the Stalls in the parking lot where it set up but nothing I could find with the location of the parking lot.

If you enjoy night markets in car parks they love those in Taichung and Kaohsiung…you are missing out lol.

1 Like

The parking lot night market in Tainan isn’t bad either. Though my only points of comparison ate the Fu Jen one and the Bade one, both of which have a pretty good food selection.

There’s a trail up to Datongshan not far from the station. From the top you can either hike down into the valley between Guishan and Shulin or continue along the ridge to the spirit trees, then straight down into Yingge. It’s about a four-hour walk station to station. I like to do the route in the reverse starting in Yingge - purchase bread from the station bakery, stop for a douhua at the platform, a sausage at the mountain day market, and pasta at Mama Mia’s in Shulin to end the day.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2001/07/06/0000092982