six months deposit in advance?!!

Has anyone ever been asked to pay 6 months rent in advance AS A DEPOSIT?

And then have to pay each month in advance as well.

That’s illegal.

Two months deposit is the legal limit/requirement.

As to pay in advance, well, oI pay the corresponding month on the 1st of the month, if that’s what you mean. Otherwise, no comprendo.

For other inquiries, go to: www.tmm.org.tw

http://www2.tmm.org.tw/English/about_EN.htm

http://www2.tmm.org.tw/English/tenancy_agreement_EN.htm

I’d run away from any landlord that asked for a six month deposit. Sounds like the landlord doesn’t want to rent to you and it is using it as a tactic to drive you away.

I agree it’s a red flag. It’s possible the landlord is just clueless, but if that’s how it starts out, don’t expect it to get any better.

If you do rent the place, anything over two months counts as rent, not deposit, so you’re legally off the hook for four months.

If you have the cash on hand you may be able to negotiate a discount on rent.

6 months deposit is illegal and a red flag as to why that much deposit is required e.g. there’s probably something wrong with the place that will have you trying to leave early, physco neighbour or similar.

I have rented a place here previously where I paid 6 months rent in advance but that was a pretty special circumstance as a) I knew the place well having lived nearby and b) I knocked 40% off the going rate in the community knowing the guy was stuck for cash

Paying rent in advance is fairly standard the world over.

Thx for replying.
I am trying to get it clear from him, his son actually, if he wants six months rent up front or if he expects a deposit of $45000 on the room, and then expects a monthly rent payment as well.
When I moved in a month ago I gave him two months as deposit and paid the first month rent of $7500.
I have been waiting for the contract. Now I need it to show Nat. Immigration office.

First he told me $7000 per month rent, now he is saying it is $7000, plus $500 tax.
Can someone tell me what is the tx rate, %, on rent please?

Could the $500 be a Management Fee (管理費 guan3 li3 fei4)? If so, that’s pretty standard, but it should have been stipulated from the start.

If he really means tax, it’s not your responsibility. We had a thread about that recently…

Btw you are getting a receipt every time you hand over the cash, right?

Caveat emptor

1 Like

Eh how come you moved in without a contract? I have lived in the same place for 15 years and I sign a yearly contract every year January 1st on the spot or my landlady gets a panic attack.

No contract is a big red flag. Again, illegal.

And yes, this famous Chang Shu-chin has a very well organized gang. But she is not the only one. We are not saying you are being swindled but there is a worrisome trend.

You say it is a room. Can you talk to other tenants to compare arrangements?

Please take pictures of the place and document everything. Receipts, etc.

1 Like

Hi Icon, thanks for replying.
My school laid me off effective Jan 31, which you recall was during a five day holiday period. Residence was part of the school contract.
So I was under some logistical pressure to move.
After seeing some tiny, airless, depressing places, this one looked very attractive as time was running out.
A big window on the 9th floor view of the mountains and the sunrise, nice.
I have my own toilet shower, at the school I shared the facilities down the hall. As it was CNY The owners son said the office was closed, a receipt was given for two months deposit and first months rent, so I felt okay about it at the time.

Ok. That sounds more reasonable. But a month has gone by. Weird that afterwards he is making demands. And without a contract, that is a problem.

How is your residence situation? If you do not have another job and were laid off, your ARC is invalid. Remember the printed date is there for reference only. Hence, the landlord may feel the need for more assurance, if he found out you do not have a stable situation.

Ah, now here we come to the catch 22.
If I can bring the National Immigration Office
A satisfactory contract of residence, I will be granted an
Extension for 6 months to July 31, 2017
As I have been working here for 2.5 years, and my school
Laid me off abruptly before the employment contract was up
June 30.
So, you are right it could be: no ARC, no apt. And no apt., no ARC!

But I think the landlord’s greed will win out. I am
Crossing my fingers, he has written a note: I have 3 days to sign and pay up or leave.
Considering the hassle of trying to find another place in short order over 2/28 holiday and of moving again, I think I will sign.
I hate being pushed around and taken advantage of, but what are ya gonna do?

Thanks for your insights and the info.

I think nonredneck was right, he really does not want to rent to me.
He now sent a message to my Taiwanese friend who has kindly been translating for me, saying he doesn’t want me to pay 6 months in advance now. He insists on a local guarantor to sign and wants $8000 per month rent, but says I have to sign before Tuesday.
Obviously, it is a holiday weekend so that is a problem.
Anybody I know is out of town now.
What to do?
Get away from this guy?
He keeps changing his position, it makes it hard to make the right move.
Too bad that 501.com website has no English button.

Use Chrome?
591 you mean?
Yep. He keeps raising the bar. Bit too greedy.

Yes, 591.com
Does chrome help with translation?

Oh yes. That’s how I use it.

Two months is the standard in Taiwan. Never heard of 6 months…