Slow cooker / crockpot

The wife’s gone out so I’m not entirely certain. As far as I know, she puts water outside the pot, but more than if its for just rice. Once that water boils off, it switches to low heat and stays there until you unplug the machine. If you add more water to the outside of the pot, it switches back to high heat and boils the water off again. You just need to make sure you put enough liquid into the inner pot so the dish you’re cooking doesn’t dry out.

[quote=“sandman”]If you add more water to the outside of the pot, it switches back to high heat and boils the water off again.[/quote]One thing about that. Not sure about the machine you use, but with most rice cookers you need to switch it back on high heat manually. Depending on the temperature, it may be necessary for the new water to cool the thermostat down a bit before it will stay switched back on high. If the thermostat’s still too hot, the switch will keep tripping to “keep warm” setting.

Right. If you add more water you’d also have to push the thingy back down. As I said, 'er indoors 'as went outdoors so I’m not too sure of the details. Alls I know is sometimes the thing has chicken or something in it in the morning. It’s hot and cooked.

We should be talking about the same thing

When you buy it, it will come with an inner pot and a steamer rack. You get a choice of red, green and white. There is also a stainless steel version.

Yes. How much depends upon how long you need or want to cook. For rice, one-half to one rice bowl is enough.
If I am cooking overnight, then I might put in a couple inches. if you’re cooking for a very long time then check every once in a while and top-up if required.

More water = longer time to pop. Also, when making rice, let it sit for at least 5min after the lever pops (just like paella or other rice dishes).

It will not turn off by itself. But, it’s made to stay on warm for a long time. It will not overheat. You can use it to keep things warm (but I don’t recommed it as a) it will dry out b) seems a good way to breed things.

You don’t even have to know how to say it. Anything that will fit inside and has a cover will work. Ing Ge will have a huge selection & so will many restaurant supply stores like those near the chong Chung Bridge. The best ones are the little white ones with the blue circle around it (they are used by the pork rib soup shops) . Very cheap. These are semi-disposeable so when I got back to TPE I always pick-up a couple.

Not sure if you are still searching for a slow cooker- crock pot. My crock pot is Santory brand with a brown colored inner porcelain ‘pot’ and it has 3 heat settings. Great for simmering dried beans and slowcooking those strips of pork loin. My small rice cooker-steamer is EUPA brand. There is some residual heat on the element after the weight of the water is lessened and that could burn your rice. As others may have mentioned this type of steamer isn’t a slow cooker-crockpot.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone for your great feedback.

thelaowai,
Did you buy your Santory crockpot in Taipei? If so, where? Thanks!

Today I was at Geant (the Zhongxiao E Rd. location near TGIFriday’s and Starbucks) and saw crockpots for sale. One was Kolin brand. The other was a local brand. Kolin’s was much smaller, but the local brand’s inner pot was made from some iffy-looking material I couldn’t identify…cross between plastic and ceramic. They’re sold next to the nifty Tatung “water-based” slow cookers.

[quote=“honeybird”]Today I was at Geant (the Zhongxiao E Rd. location near TGIFriday’s and Starbucks) and saw crockpots for sale. One was Kolin brand. The other was a local brand. Kolin’s was much smaller, but the local brand’s inner pot was made from some iffy-looking material I couldn’t identify…cross between plastic and ceramic. They’re sold next to the nifty Tatung “water-based” slow cookers.[/quote]Yep, saw the Kolin all right. About four thousand NTs. No time setting, though.

Then there is the Japanese brand with the elephant on the logo, Zoiruchi or something like that. They have what I was looking for: slow cooker, preassure cooker, all in one. Time setting, good quality pot, metallic shine. Problem: 17 thousand NTs.

I just picked one up last week. It is just like the one I used at home ( with one minor exception. The lid has a hole in the top to let the moisture out, which sort of defeats the purpose of a slow cooker. A piece of scotch tape over the hole fixes that ). The cooker has an off, low, high switch. It is the LA Polo brand carried at RT Mart. They come in 3 sizes. I got the medium one. If you ask for a crock pot, they don’t know what you are talking about. They call them slow cookers.

I’d like a western-brand crock pot - preferably an original Rival brand. Totally impossible to get in Taiwan, right? Maybe I’ll just have to import one from North America - they’re cheap as chips - only 25 bucks, but I imagine it’s the shipping that’s going to hurt…

I found one. There’s only one in stock so I sent the link by PM (so nobody gets it before you).

I think I’ve seen Rival stuff at the department stores. Gotta look. Imagine, now that we have cheaper beef, to make some nice beef stews -especially you guys who know where to find best dark beer.

OTOH, on TV they sell the electric pressure cooker for like 3 thousand. The people at the cafeteria downstairs are using it to make our daily bien tang. So far, so good.

Thanks, DB for the link, but my wife balked at the $2000NT price. Once she had a better idea of what it was I was looking for, she found this slow cooker by Sampo:

It seems to be pretty much exactly the same as a Crock-pot: glass lid (no holes), ceramic/enamel removable cooking pot, stainless steel exterior, etc. Including shipping (within Taiwan), it cost $980NT (we bought it online). If you’re lucky enough to find one in a store, they go for $1290NT. If you’re interested in acquiring one yourself, I suggest you do a search for Sampo Stew Cooker TQ-L840CL. For some reason, this product isn’t on the Sampo Taiwan website, although it seems every other kind of cooker is.

I have a small one for free to anyone who wants it.

Now you tell me! :doh:

It is smaller than the one you got and probably no where near as good :wink:

hehehe Kage, a crock pot cooks slowly, it can’t get get any worse :laughing:

Bumpity bump. Same question, because the old slow cooker seems to have died. And I do want one of the big western-style ones, where you can set a timer for four hours or 12 hours or whatever and leave the house.

It seems like, very roughly, shipping with Amazon costs around $80 on top of the cost of the appliance itself. I’d prefer to pick one up in Taipei, but I’m not sure if that’s an option these days.

Bumpity bump. Same question, because the old slow cooker seems to have died. And I do want one of the big western-style ones, where you can set a timer for four hours or 12 hours or whatever and leave the house.

It seems like, very roughly, shipping with Amazon costs around $80 on top of the cost of the appliance itself. I’d prefer to pick one up in Taipei, but I’m not sure if that’s an option these days.[/quote]

shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor … _NO=DMAG0I

I see 3 models with timer (the Cuisinart, Philip, and Dowai), rest is just 3 mode model (low, high, maintain warm)

[quote=“ls918”]http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=store&func=style_show&SR_NO=DMAG0I

I see 3 models with timer (the Cuisinart, Philip, and Dowai), rest is just 3 mode model (low, high, maintain warm)[/quote]
Sorry, forgot to reply. Thanks!

It’s difficult to find reviews of all those Sampo ones, in English at least. The prices are certainly cheap, but I’d like to have a bit more information before purchasing. The Cuisinart one unfortunately gets some very low reviews, so I won’t be getting that one.