Snakes!

yeah that was my call. Didn’t know which one though. Id’ed by catchers as a king ratsnake (臭青母 chou4qing1mu3, or Stinking goddess),

Cool that you gave us her ID number :smiley:

I was thinking of this one: snakesoftaiwan.com/Ptyas%20mucos … mucosa.htm

I have run into a couple of snakes or perhaps three since the last post (one was dead), but today I have run into something even better:

:laughing:

BTW… is Onionsack still with us?

[quote=“jesus80”]I have run into a couple of snakes or perhaps three since the last post (one was dead), but today I have run into something even better:

:laughing:

BTW… is Onionsack still with us?[/quote]

Still here, yes! :slight_smile: I just came across my 50th snake of 2016 last night…a Lycodon rufozanatum (these used to be classified as Dinodon rufozanatum but they’ve recently been dumped back in the Lycodon genus… I still call them Dinos by habit…). 50 snakes before April is an unprecedented number, at least for me here in the North of Taiwan, and I’m already thinking I might have a chance to eclipse my 2015 grand total of snakes seen here in Taiwan (1,531). This is the first year in which there wasn’t really a complete “down” season here in the North, and I’ve been seeing snakes out since New Year’s day, although mostly vipers. But with the appearance of C. majors and L. rufozonatum, all signs are pointing to the herp season being imminent. I’ll attach a phone shot of the L. rufozonatum I saw last night. *oh, and you had me worried with that video above…the first minute looked EXACTLY like most idiotic snake shows these days…

Hey Onionsack, nice to hear from you. I was genuinely worried… you just disappeared and we all know what two teeth can make any night (or day!).

I was wondering if the unusual temperatures had made the snakes already active… thanks for confirming.

Please come to Taipei or Sanxia some time soon and guide me to the snakes nests :smiley:

[quote=“jesus80”]Hey Onionsack, nice to hear from you. I was genuinely worried… you just disappeared and we all know what two teeth can make any night (or day!).

I was wondering if the unusual temperatures had made the snakes already active… thanks for confirming.

Please come to Taipei or Sanxia some time soon and guide me to the snakes nests :smiley:[/quote]

Aye, sorry about that, busy year…

I should be coming to Sanxia/Taipei either next weekend or the weekend after that to have a look for snakes…I’ll let you know when I firm up plans. Here’s my list from 2015:

1531 Snakes of 2015

1. Cyclophiops major - 488
  2. Dinodon rufozonatum – 365
  3. Viridovipera stejnegeri stejnegeri - 285
  4. Protobothrops mucrosquamatus - 96
  5. Lycodon ruhstrati ruhstrati – 60
  6. Bungarus multicinctus multicinctus – 51
  7. Pareas formosensis – 33
  8. Elaphe carinata - 31
  9. Calamaria pavimentata – 20
  10. Boiga kraepelini – 16
  11. Oreocryptophis porphyracea kawakamii – 14
  12. Naja atra – 11
  13. Psammodynastes pulverulentus papenfussi - 9
  14. Oligodon formosanus – 6
  15. Sinomicrurus macclellandi swinhoei - 5
  16. Amphiesma sauteri – 5
  17. Xenochrophis piscator - 5
  18. Euprepiophis mandarina – 5
  19. Macropisthodon rudis rudis - 5
  20. Orthriophis taeniurus friesi – 4
  21. Oligodon ornatus - 3
  22. Ramphotyphlops braminus - 3
  23. Ptyas dhumnades - 3
  24. Sinomicrurus hatori - 2
  25. Deinagkistrodon acutus - 2
  26. Ovophis monticola makazayazaya – 1
  27. Pseudoxenodon stejnegeri – 1
  28. Sibynophis chinensis chinensis – 1

Month – Total – (species)

1. January – 0 (0)
  2. February – 0 (0)
  3. March – 35 (8)
  4. April – 86 (13)
  5. May – 144 (13)
  6. June – 272 (23)
  7. July – 277 (13)
  8. August – 269 (15)
  9. September – 185 (11)
  10. October – 74 (13)
  11. November – 171 (8)
  12. December – 18 (4)

Spring is officially sprung! This Sibynophis chinensis chinensis (Asiatic Many-Toothed Snake or 黑頭蛇) I captured on an April 1st hike along the Tai Ping Ling trail near the Taipei harbor is my first diurnal snake of the year, or at least the first diurnal that I saw during the DAY anyway…these guys are LIGHTNING quick, and you can tell by the dirt under my fingernails that the only way to capture them is by grabbing a bunch of dirt and grass where you think they’ll BE (not where they ARE: you’ll miss) and hope for the best. I lucked out this time, and came up with a snake mixed in with the dirt salad. My s/o called me over after hearing a rustling on the side of the path and pointed in the direction of the commotion. At first, all I could make out was a skink, and it was only after another moment or two that I realized what was happening: there was indeed a snake, as well as a (much larger) skink, and the pair of them were engaged in full battle! Hated to interrupt Herr Many-Tooth’s dinner, but after a very frustrating DNF geocache, I wasn’t about to squander the opportunity…Good thing these sweeties are as docile as they are quick… :slight_smile:

hi ,
i am from india i have seen many snakes in my whole life.i have seen a russel viper on my terrace.it was very big.

very big snake

If I’m not mistaken, the scientific name of that very specimen is Habu Motherfucker. Take care!

First herping night of the year, and not bad at all: one wolf snake, and one many banded krait… eating what looked like a coral snake. I’ll post pictures tomorrow, probably.

Lots of geckos and other bugs too.

We were not feeling very lucky until I spotted this…

“Snake! snake!”

A closer inspection revealed something interesting…

“Another snake! in its mouth!”

The poor coral bastard was trying its best to get out of the krait’s fences…

“Hey… what’s up guys… I’m just hanging out here”

A wolf snake had no interest in horizontal surfaces either

“Me too, mate”

“Bye!”

today in Costa Rica i was fortunate to see a small cat-eye snake and a boa constrictor, tiny at 50 cm… both curled up in leaves of palm trees and hiding in the daytime.

Costa Rica… now I feel envy…

did you take any shot of the animals?

Apparently some local politician took a caged cobra to the congress (or whatever) in Miaoli, for claimining that this animal is evil and should not be in the list of protected animals in Taiwan.

news.ltn.com.tw/photo/politics/b … /1695406_1

Costa Rica… now I feel envy…

did you take any shot of the animals?[/quote]

GF did, but i doubt ill see much more of that now, so No, i guess.

and today a dying Taiwan habu on the road on the way to work (Okinawa).

Some nice findings: a hatori’s coral snake (I think), a red banded snake and a Taiwan habu, all in number,bee 7 near Baling. The problem is that I ended up walking almost 12 km, and tomorrow I have to ride 70 or 80…

[quote=“jesus80”]We were not feeling very lucky until I spotted this…

“Snake! snake!”

A closer inspection revealed something interesting…

“Another snake! in its mouth!”

The poor coral bastard was trying its best to get out of the krait’s fences…

HOLY MOLY, are you kidding me? A krait eating a MacClelland’s Coral Snake?? Amazing sighting! Do you remember the km mark? :notworthy:

Hey, so that was in GuanYingShan, not in number 7… a little bird told me that you’ve been there a couple of days ago… well, I went there last week and got to see some snakes too! I’d like to return some time soon :slight_smile:

I’ll post some pictures when I have time.

Hey I’ve been browsing this thread for a bit checking out some of the sightings and I’ve got a question. How much do juveniles vary from adults in terms of colouring and markings. I’ve spied a couple of baby snakes around my area and I’m curious to know what they were. Both were about 20-30cm in length, one was tan with light blue stripes on the side and the other was jet black with a diamondish head. No pics as I didn’t have my phone on me. I’ve checked snakesoftaiwan.com but kinda hard to know where to start.