Snorkeling in Kenting...your thoughts?

OK since we are on the topic of beautiful but possibly potentially dangerous underwater creatures, I wasn’t going to ask but am going to now…what about jellyfish?

For some reason I am utterly fascinated by them but at the same time, they freak me out! Last May I was in the south of Holland RIGHT on the border to Belgium at a beach and saw that there were TONS of jellyfish dried up on the shore…ok well not tons, but there were a lot. I waded my feet in the water for a little bit but got too nervous.

Are there a lot of jellyfish in Kenting?

But if you want to go snorkeling, are there guides who go with you who know where to go and are certified?

OH and back to the digital camera thing…do I have to look back at the old posts, but do any of you have one? What about with video/audio mode? Here is one that I want, but am not sure if it’s a good brand or not…

http://www.anchorexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?pid=9395

The $ are US I think…

I am looking at my pictures again from that free underwater camera and using them on my desktop, but the quality is quite poor :frowning: I want to be able to put these on my desktop and what not…

OK thanks for the help!!!

Bre

I think you’re thinking too much. Don’t go deep. Don’t go alone. Don’t go out too far.

Certified snorkeling guides? Doubtful. The shops have suits, masks and fins. They will walk you across the street and show you where the ocean is. Then they will walk in. You should follow them. Or they will throw you into a van and drive you down to the place MJB posted about, and it’ll be just you and the big blue…and 15 other snorkelers, and maybe some open water PADI students.

My experience of snorkling in banana bay near Kenting was that we rented the equipment, trundled across the road and jumped in.

A cooler with water in it is good to have.

[quote=“Breezy”]OK since we are on the topic of beautiful but possibly potentially dangerous underwater creatures, I wasn’t going to ask but am going to now…what about jellyfish?

For some reason I am utterly fascinated by them but at the same time, they freak me out! Last May I was in the south of Holland RIGHT on the border to Belgium at a beach and saw that there were TONS of jellyfish dried up on the shore…ok well not tons, but there were a lot. I waded my feet in the water for a little bit but got too nervous.

Are there a lot of jellyfish in Kending?

But if you want to go snorkeling, are there guides who go with you who know where to go and are certified?

OH and back to the digital camera thing…do I have to look back at the old posts, but do any of you have one? What about with video/audio mode? Here is one that I want, but am not sure if it’s a good brand or not…

http://www.anchorexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?pid=9395

The $ are US I think…

I am looking at my pictures again from that free underwater camera and using them on my desktop, but the quality is quite poor :frowning: I want to be able to put these on my desktop and what not…

OK thanks for the help!!!

Bre[/quote]

Jellyfish…Can show up anywhere, anytime. For the most part though, Taiwan has relatively few Jellyfish. Most of the time.

RE: Digital camera. There are a few of us that are into underwater photography. Don’t bother even looking at a camera until your water skills are far improved, ie, you can swim with fins, have enough confidence to dive under the water holding your breath, etc. Shooting down into the water just makes everything look dark and nasty (an exception might be a bright sunny day with shallow water and a sandy bottom). Hence the poor photo quality. A good rule of thumb is always shoot upward, and if you are snorkeling that means you are underwater.

Build your skills first. Camera later.

Yep. You have to remember that in order to use a camera underwater you have to be able to stay down and stay pretty much still. I used to take underwater shots with a little point and shoot Canon underwater camera, and they were ALL crap pictures until I started wearing a very heavy lead weight belt that would take me to the bottom like a stone as soon as I stopped finning like a bloody ironman or something. Even then, they were still crap, but that’s another story.
Until you can get down and stay there, your pics will be blurry and too dark, no matter how much you spend on a camera. It really would be a waste of money.

I bought a recyclable, 349 peso job and took pics that should be hanging in a museum somehwere. That was in the Carribean though, 4,000 mile visibility and all that. Didn’t have weights, but have you seen my head? Must weight forty pounds.