Solution for the mold :|

[quote=“StuartCa”]

Nah you’re probably looking at them in Tesco. Is it true what a friend said that they can be picked up for 30quid?[/quote]

Yeah, they are pretty cheap here. Probably because we have no need for them. You are more likely to find people with a humidifier than a dehumidifier.

[quote=“StuartCa”]

Nah you’re probably looking at them in Tesco. Is it true what a friend said that they can be picked up for 30quid?[/quote]

Yeah, they are pretty cheap here. Probably because we have no need for them. You are more likely to find people with a humidifier than a dehumidifier.

What about waterproofing the exterior wall? I often see old buildings with gray paint on the wall of a particular floor, and that shows waterproofing work has been done for that particular apartment. If you want to nip the mold situation in the bud, that seems to be the only way to go. Everything else is Sisyphean.

Speaking of mold, never leave used tea leaves in a pot for a couple weeks. Whew!!!

As Taiwan experience speaks, mold can grow anywhere and everywhere irrespective of the surface texture :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, they are like 1500nt/2000nt or something. They all work, just get the generic brand at Geant. No need to buy zojirushi or other expensive brands. Also, get one with a large and easy to remove water catcher.[/quote]

Where can I find one so cheap? They are usually over 4-5,000 everywhere I have looked.[/quote]

I checked out the prices at Mitsukoshi the other day. A 10-liter Mitsubishi dehumidifier cost NT$14,900. And it was on sale. There were several that cost more than NT$20,000.

So what is the general consensus on open vs. closed windows as we head into the winter. Because I was fed up with dust, I closed the windows for what ended up being the entirety of the winter once in a taofang, and about half the furniture started smelling moldy. The building was in the process of being sold and turned into a hotel and all of the furniture was replaced after the transformation (otherwise I would have felt real guilty about the moldy furniture as the management in that building was great). Anyways, I’ve moved to an insanely damp part of New Taipei City (over the course of ten years here I’ve not yet experienced this level of indoor dampness) and after reading this thread I’m confused about when to open/close the windows. Previous to the above mentioned mold issue, in the winter, I normally would open the windows when I left for work in the morning and close them when I got home at night. I now live in a bigger apartment, not a taofang. Any thoughts on managing this situation would be greatly appreciated as I’m panicking a little heading into the winter. (Of course I will be buying a dehumidifier soon.).

1. Dehumidifier - use it as much as you can, but don’t leave it on at night / while at work. Fires are frequent. You want to solve your mold problem, but not that drastically.

2. Little packets of dehumidiers in closets, luggage, inside of your shoes, anywhere without ventilation.

3. Get a Vornado or similar. Circulates air. Helps a lot.

4. I still have to solve the mold in bathroom issue but drying the place up helps a bit. Lysol or other cleaners regularly. Rotate.

5. If you live in Xindian there is this part of winter when you literally have cascades coming out the walls and the floor feels sticky from dampness. Best solution is to go on vacation and wait it out.

Thanks @Icon Will implement all of your advice in my fight against the dampness. I lived in Xindian for a couple of years in the Dapinglin area and never even thought about mold nor saw or smelled a trace of it. But I lived in one of those illegal rooftop apartments that had almost too much natural light which may have been a factor in not having a major indoor dampness problem.